A few questions.

.isaac.

A few questions.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm glad too say that I have officially begun to track cycle at Brunswick and I LOVE IT!! I go to an outdoor velodrome every sunday as part of the Brunswick Junior Cycling Clinic and I have a few Q & A's before I go back. Dave ( The guy who makes you better and talks alot ) said that I already have the speed its just that I need to learn the tactics. Where can I got to read up on tactics for track cycling? The saddle on their bikes make my bit where I sit on the saddle ache the day after I rode on their bike when I ride my bike. Will this generally wear off?

Isaac, EG.
Ps. Please feel free too post any other tips that are going to help me get the better of my opponents.
Ps#2. Track cycling is possibly the best thing that I have ever done.

foo on patrol

Re: A few questions.

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:21 pm

A lot of it comes from experience, plus you need to do research on your opposition. :idea:

Did you get measured for the seat?

Don't show all your cards at one meet and pick your race meet that you want to win at. :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:38 pm

No, they didn't measure for the saddle but it is very big.

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Welcome EG.

What bike are you riding. I pop in every now and again of a Sunday at DISC. Never been to the outdoor track.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:A lot of it comes from experience
Shhh. Those young kids are hard enough to beat as it is. :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Gettin all soft and thoughtfull in my old age. :oops:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:02 pm

I am riding and 80's-90's hillman.
alchemist wrote: Shhh. Those young kids are hard enough to beat as it is. :wink:
I was coming first in a 5 lap scratch race for 4 and a quarter laps until some other kid over took me in bend 4. I understood that coming first isn't everything, you have to place yourself behind other riders to form a slipstream but I got worried that if I drop back to near the end I wont be able to regain first again. Im a complete newbie

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:38 am

I started track racing two weeks ago myself. I won a D grade scratch race (3km) on Friday night by half a wheel and got 7th out of 18 starters in the handicap. Track racing is brilliant.

I too am looking for stuff to read on tactics and the like. I've found a few sites, but nothing like you find for road racing. Try looking at:
http://www.ridestrong.org.nz/RS/wikis/g ... cling.aspx
http://gtveloce.com/bike/bike5a.html
for starters.

David

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 am

EvilGenius wrote:I'm glad too say that I have officially begun to track cycle at Brunswick and I LOVE IT!! I go to an outdoor velodrome every sunday as part of the Brunswick Junior Cycling Clinic and I have a few Q & A's before I go back. Dave ( The guy who makes you better and talks alot ) said that I already have the speed its just that I need to learn the tactics. Where can I got to read up on tactics for track cycling? The saddle on their bikes make my bit where I sit on the saddle ache the day after I rode on their bike when I ride my bike. Will this generally wear off?

Isaac, EG.
Ps. Please feel free too post any other tips that are going to help me get the better of my opponents.
Ps#2. Track cycling is possibly the best thing that I have ever done.
with regards to the saddle, what do you use on your road bike? If it is comfortable then either swap it between bikes, or buy another for your track bike. If the track bike is your only bike then you better get to the bike shop to get fitted.

As a junior you will probably go through a few saddles as you grow.

With regards to tactics I agree with Foo, race as much as you can and always think about your position in the field. You will soon start to get to know where you should be with a lap to go. :wink:

Good luck to you :D
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm actually using one of the clubs bikes and he just picked one up and raised the saddle, and I have an MTB.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I started track racing two weeks ago myself. I won a D grade scratch race (3km) on Friday night by half a wheel and got 7th out of 18 starters in the handicap. Track racing is brilliant.

I too am looking for stuff to read on tactics and the like. I've found a few sites, but nothing like you find for road racing. Try looking at:
http://www.ridestrong.org.nz/RS/wikis/g ... cling.aspx
http://gtveloce.com/bike/bike5a.html
for starters.

David
i assume youre talking about lidcombe?
my 12 year old and i dropped in there last friday night to see what goes on. i was surprised by the track - i've never seen an outdoor one before so just had dunc gray in my mind. the 5deg. bank seems less daunting than 42deg. but the racing seemed just as thrilling. i suspect in time we'll both do some racing there. maybe i'll sell the fixie or just remoive the brake and change the bars..

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm

scotto wrote:i assume youre talking about lidcombe?
my 12 year old and i dropped in there last friday night to see what goes on. i was surprised by the track - i've never seen an outdoor one before so just had dunc gray in my mind. the 5deg. bank seems less daunting than 42deg. but the racing seemed just as thrilling. i suspect in time we'll both do some racing there. maybe i'll sell the fixie or just remoive the brake and change the bars..
Spot on about Lidcombe there Scotto. Don't delay, give it a go. Rock up on a Tuesday night, borrow a bike and have a bash at it. Alternately, just show up on a Friday night and race. I joined that club because they have the program for the kids and the adults - it's very family oriented.

If the weather holds, I'll be there again tonight. Look for the guy in the Livestrong jersey.

David

cludence

Postby cludence » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

How did you go this evening David? I was going to head over but got sidetracked cleaning my shed..

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 am

I got second in the D-grade money race! Won $15. I can't seem to get a good spurt in the shorter races, but give me 7 or 8 laps and I'll grind them down like I did tonight. Learned some new tricks and tactics and was told that track racing is "chess on wheels". Totally true.

David

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I got second in the D-grade money race! Won $15. I can't seem to get a good spurt in the shorter races, but give me 7 or 8 laps and I'll grind them down like I did tonight. Learned some new tricks and tactics and was told that track racing is "chess on wheels". Totally true.

David
good work, well done. :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I got second in the D-grade money race! Won $15. David
Was that before or after tax? :mrgreen:

See, you're learning already! 8)
Goal 6000km

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Lidcombe is a nice easy track, except for the last turn... or should I say corner. It caught me out bigtime when I rode there during the xmas carnivals. Here I am in the orange kit ****ting my pants as I nearly run off into the fence.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Flat tracks can do that to you. :wink:
Hawthorne Park in Brisbane used to throw you up the track on the last bend, but it wasn't chain wire like that. :shock:
Goal 6000km

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Latrobe cycling club are having their carnival tomorrow. It's a flat track. 600m around a running track :?

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 am

One of your Latrobe club mates came up to the Sydney Xmas Carnivals - Jerome Bechaz. You know him?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Had my second time Track Cycling this weekend. Came 4th in a scratch race (So close to 3rd). Team Sprint went OK and got 38.17 in the Alan Grindal 30 second challenge. My life is soooo close to complete when I piece Track Cycling into it.