Fernleigh cycling track

breezer1

Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby breezer1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

We have a group ride into newcastle via fernleigh then throsby creek cycleway to nobby's beach/coffee/drink stop sunday 30/1/11 for any locals and return along fernleigh track back to jewells, will be meeting at jewells end of fernleigh track where the carpark is on railway cresent, anyone who would like to go meet us there at 7.30 am, so far we have about 5 riders with a few more to come, this will be a casual ride so all welcome :D

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 pm

That's the usual carpark is it Breezer? Mate, you know what I'm like with carpark recognition! :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:That's the usual carpark is it Breezer? Mate, you know what I'm like with carpark recognition! :D
i will draw you a picture :lol: .... you always have trouble :? it's at jewells :) and the street is railway cresent :lol: carpark over the road from tracks end :wink: :lol:

speedoss

Signs Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:20 am

The signs or lack there of on the Fernleigh Track will be on the list of topics at a Lake Macquarie council meeting on Feb 9th.
Phillipa Parsons has brought the issue to council at my prompting.

Cheers.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:28 am

Cool, but what about NCC? It is responsible for the track as well, as i understand it.

speedoss

Councils and the Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:Cool, but what about NCC? It is responsible for the track as well, as i understand it.
True NCC is responsible for there end of the track, maybe some track users who live in the NCC area can chase up their councilors. :?
In my brief experience when living in Jesmond which is part of the NCC, the NCC would just completely ignore any requests I made to them about anything.
Sadly local councils seem to live in a world of there own at times it seems :cry:

speedoss

LMC Meeting Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 am

The LMC meeting is at 6pm Feb 9th, anyone is welcome to attend, but I don't think visitors are allowed to say anything without prior arrangement...

"Standing Committee Meetings and Ordinary Council Meetings will be held in the Lake Macquarie City Council Chambers, 126-138 Main Road, Speers Point. All Budget Committee Meetings and Councillor Briefing Sessions will be held in the Committee Room at the Administration Building.
Copies of the agenda will be available for the general public at the meeting or at Council's Reception on Friday prior to the meeting and on Council's website."
To be honest I could not find the agendas on the council website.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:28 pm

noticed today that first layer of tar sealing has been done at the belmont end at railway street, not sure how far it goes, but i dont think it is all the way to jewells as of 1 day ago as i seen it wasn't tared, but rolled very flat so should not be long before tar sealing is done all the way!..... then fencing etc etc, i reckon it wont be opened to public till march/april the way there going! :(

gorilla monsoon

Re: LMC Meeting Re: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 pm

speedoss wrote:but I don't think visitors are allowed to say anything without prior arrangement....
Slightly wrong. Visitors are not allowed to say anything period.

speedoss

Stage 5 Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I noticed the start of the hard surface on stage 5 this morning also. Good to see some progress. If things move at the same rate as they did on stage 4 I think March - April is a bit optimistic for an opening date. Still I hope you are right Breezer.

breezer1

Re: Stage 5 Fernleigh cycling track

Postby breezer1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

speedoss wrote:I noticed the start of the hard surface on stage 5 this morning also. Good to see some progress. If things move at the same rate as they did on stage 4 I think March - April is a bit optimistic for an opening date. Still I hope you are right Breezer.
yeah optimistic for sure, as i know how long it took to fence stage 4 :oops: i really hope it hurry's up as i love to do the swansea/murrays beach ride along blacksmiths and swansea channel, great scenic ride, but getting through belmont is just dangerous and put's me off going that way! but coming out at belmont tech will miss all the belmont traffic! :)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Too early to start planning Easter rides on the extended track do you think, Breezer?

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:26 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Too early to start planning Easter rides on the extended track do you think, Breezer?
Yeah i think so :) i'll let you know when we can go that way,the way these contractors build cycleways it may be after easter!, i have some good hills in murrays beach for you gorilla just waiting! :wink:

ZCat

Re: Councils and the Fernleigh cycling track

Postby ZCat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

speedoss wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Cool, but what about NCC? It is responsible for the track as well, as i understand it.
True NCC is responsible for there end of the track, maybe some track users who live in the NCC area can chase up their councilors. :?
In my brief experience when living in Jesmond which is part of the NCC, the NCC would just completely ignore any requests I made to them about anything.
Sadly local councils seem to live in a world of there own at times it seems :cry:
G'day - Firstly, very keen to see the track finished. Been watching it for a long time. Secondly, there's some great rides south of Swansea. Also agree that area around Bunnings at Belmont North is deadly with any real traffic.

Ok - I've read the issue about signs on the track. If you can post exactly what signage you'd be looking for and basically why (a bit of a constructive argument) I'll have a go.

Thanks Z

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 pm

rode the wifes MTB up fernleigh track towards belmont from jewells end section this afternoon, track has smooth tar till just before where the bush track takes you to belmont sporties fields, there is a section there that is still gravel, then it is tared all the way through to belmont tech, if it is ready by easter we will be lucky, fencing, rest area seats etc etc has to be done, so i dont think it is close to opening! :(

speedoss

Stage 5 would be opening : Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 am

On the history of stage 4 seems unlikely that stage 5 will be finished by Easter this year, even if Easter in Late April.
Be good if it is though.
The damp weather might slow any bitumen work though. Sure is a funny summer weather-wise.
Seems they are building a ramp from the car park to the track when there is perfectly good and easy access to the Track via the foot path.
Have to wonder about the designers or the regulators as it seems a waste of money, when things like ramp access on foot paths in general has a lot to be desired in many places.
Still often when any level of government is involved commonsense seems not to be a factor. :P

Picture was taken Morning of Feb 14th 2011 was a bit damp.

markusm

Postby markusm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 pm

There was a nice write up in Saturday's traveller section of the Herald about this track.

I would like to come up for the weekend and check this out. Might do it on the saturday of the "Loop the lake" weekend.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Yep, good idea. Will give you a chance to stretch your legs before LtL.

speedoss

Fernleigh cycling track Pointless ramps

Postby speedoss » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 am

A pity the designers and authorities concerned seem to lack common sense and seem happy to waste tax payers money.
Why did they feel the need to build a ramp from the Jewells car park to the Fernleigh Track when there is a perfectly good footpath.
The footpath is less steep then the ramp and the ramp actually has as slight rise before it goes down to the track.

A pointless waste of money to build a ramp that is not needed. The money could be spent more usefully in other places I am sure.

A perfectly good foot path will provide easy access to the track.

The Walrus

Fernleigh cycling track

Postby The Walrus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 am

NCC and common sense don't go together! But its good to see the track coming together, however slowly...might get out on it today!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

speedoss

Bike count : Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Who got counted in the annual bike count today, I passed two people in yellow T shirts in different places doing the bike count today.
Lets hope the numbers will mean more and better bike ways :-)

sjw0410

Postby sjw0410 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:39 pm

speedoss wrote:Who got counted in the annual bike count today, I passed two people in yellow T shirts in different places doing the bike count today.
Lets hope the numbers will mean more and better bike ways :-)
Now that you mention it, I did get counted. But on the new Wallsend cycleway. Apparently I was the first bike of the day. I hope there was more than just me. :?

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 am

our group of 10 riders got counted on tuesday at broadmeadow on the way to newcastle :)

speedoss

Group ride: Fernleigh cycling track

Postby speedoss » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 am

Saw a group of 50+ cyclists on the Pacific Highway at Belmont North today, was on a sponsored Fund raiser it appeared.
They were headed along the Pacific Highway with all its traffic, not the safest place to be, not to the current start of the Fernleigh Track at Jewells.
As out of towners they probably don't know the track exists.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 am

If they were that organised they were probably deliberately avoiding the track. 50 riders funneling onto a track two metres wide? Not a pretty sight and leads to all kinds of complications with peds and the like.

I spoke to a couple of guys working on the track extension on Saturday morning and they reckoned it will be open this Saturday (March 12). I'd take that with a grain of salt, obviously but these guys were on a clean-up program so it all looks good.