Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to look into a protein powder for muscle recovery after a ride, i have never taken them before. Since there is so many out there i'm trying to find something which i can by local. Is there any of the "big brands" that i can buy from local stores and not online? I would like to talk to someone in shop about it but is there something i should be looking out for?

There seems to be so many different types of powders out there it's not funny? Since it's for recovery and not to get "ripped" is there something i should be looking for?

MDL

The Womble

Re: Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

Postby The Womble » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 pm

I just thought I'd add this as I heard it from Dr Karl on JJJ this morning.
A recent study in the US showed significant gains in muscle mass and reductions in body fat percentage in female athletes from simply drinking non-fat milk either just prior to or post excercise. It could be worth looking into and a hell of a lot cheaper.
I can't tell you the specifics atm

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:32 pm

I just mix Sustagen Sport with low fat milk before and after riding.
My local Safeway sells it, costs about $8 for a 450g tin, or else the discount chemist chain store sells a 900g tin for around $16.
There are probable higher protein mixes available but I like the taste of the Sustagen, it's easy to get, and works out costing about $5 a week.

biftek

Postby biftek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm

no no don't do sustagen , that stuff is crap , it's not a "sports drink " it's a lolly drink just sugar water

a good cheap source of protein is low fat milk and skim milk powder

you wont get ripped by protein power , getting ripped comes from working out in the gym and it wont happen over night takes a lot of work to get ripped , along with a good diet ,

most protien powder on the shelf is all the same stuff with just different labels

musashi stuff can be brought at just about every shop , but it is expensive compared to other stuff on the market

Matt72

Postby Matt72 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

It might help if you mentioned where you lived.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:39 pm

I wonder if Alex has an opinion here. I have used "Ripped" and find that using it after a ride helps me not to feel so sore the next day.

Alex?

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

http://www.supplementsdirect.com.au/

Is a sponsor of another forum I am on. Seem to be well trusted, never used them myself though.

James
Bikes:
2010 Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc
2006 Avanti Escape with slicks and "Upgraditis"
2008 Buell 1125r

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Sorry about that, i am in Toowoomba QLD. I was talking to a freind that worked at a Health Food shop. He said alot of the high end brands do the same as the lower brands. He spoke about the MAX’S WPI 1kg about $65. Other wise just start out with straight Protien WPI unflavored.

I picked up some Sustagen Sport and 2lt's of sports milk which has 10g of protien per serve too. So after a ride that should be fine.

Thinking of starting a proper healthy diet up as i'm on holidays see weather i can put it in place and then go from there. Even if it's smaller protion sizes to start and try to have 6 small meals a day combimed with riding 5 times a week.

MDL

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Do the maths. Check the protein g/100g in your fancy expensive protein powder. Work out how many $ you pay per gram of protein. Then compare the price with skim milk powder, $ per grams of protein.

I know what's going to win, by a long shot. Most body-builders know it too.

Just take a glass of low fat milk, then add four or five tablespoons of skim milk powder. Wack it in a blender and mix it up good.

For added variety, chop up a banana and/or a teaspoon of cocoa (chocolate if you really want some extra calories too). If you've really got a sweet tooth, a tablespoon of honey. And half a cup of ice to chill it all up good.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm

wombatK wrote:Do the maths. Check the protein g/100g in your fancy expensive protein powder. Work out how many $ you pay per gram of protein. Then compare the price with skim milk powder, $ per grams of protein.

I know what's going to win, by a long shot. Most body-builders know it too.

Just take a glass of low fat milk, then add four or five tablespoons of skim milk powder. Wack it in a blender and mix it up good.

For added variety, chop up a banana and/or a teaspoon of cocoa (chocolate if you really want some extra calories too). If you've really got a sweet tooth, a tablespoon of honey. And half a cup of ice to chill it all up good.

Stupid question i take it that slim milk powder has heaps of protein in it?

MDL

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:46 pm

MDL wrote:Hey guys,

I'm trying to look into a protein powder for muscle recovery after a ride,
MDL
Muscle recovery is a totally different ball game than just protein powder which I do use at the correct time of an exercise routine. The Russian Olympic team simply used low fat chocolate milk & it's still recommended by coaches & athletes today.

Recovery drinks like Balance--"Refuel & Recover" & Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem (Extreme Endurance Fuel) all claim to have the magic 4:1 ratio of Carb/ Protein. Basically the same as low fat chocolate milk.

I've tried about 5 different recovery products & found the Balance Muscle Technology fairly cheap & easy to find. The Balance product can be used as a recovery aid & an all day endurance fuel. It retails for about $30 which gives you between 10- 20 serves depending on your body weight & intended use. So for $1.50 to $3.00 each that's cheaper than chocolate milk from the carton or bottle.

GNC Live Well health food stores or Healthy Life normally have stock.

You can read all the Balance hype here-------------> http://www.balancesportsnutrition.com/p ... fault.aspx
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Watch out for the Sustagen Sport if you are trying to lose weight, as biftek correctly states it is full of sugar.
I only drink it because I like the taste mainly, and it does have some protein (in skim milk form) and a few added vitamins and minerals, though I understand that most vitamin and mineral supplements are basically a waste of time and money.
At 62Kg's I'm not fussed about sugar or fat, though i don't eat much garbage/junk food. The Sustagen and low/no fat milk is basically just chocolate milk, and I like it.

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Tim wrote:Watch out for the Sustagen Sport if you are trying to lose weight, as biftek correctly states it is full of sugar.
I only drink it because I like the taste mainly, and it does have some protein (in skim milk form) and a few added vitamins and minerals, though I understand that most vitamin and mineral supplements are basically a waste of time and money.
At 62Kg's I'm not fussed about sugar or fat, though i don't eat much garbage/junk food. The Sustagen and low/no fat milk is basically just chocolate milk, and I like it.

Yeah had thought about the sugar bit. So if I have some in the morning, just have a normal breaky?

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Still trying to get my head around the powder ATM

MDL

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm

MDL wrote: Yeah had thought about the sugar bit. So if I have some in the morning, just have a normal breaky?
Are you going to be riding in the morning then having a recovery drink + breakfast ? Or just having the "powder" with breakfast ?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn't use a recovery drink after anything less than an absolutely intense 1hr training session, a hard 2hr ride or a 3-4hr slower endurance style training ride. If you're just going for a light spin a recovery style/ protein drink won't be necessary.

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm riding for about 1h 20 min tomorrow morning.

Mdl

biftek

Postby biftek » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

for recovery also look at something like glucosime or fish oil

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm

MDL wrote:Still trying to get my head around the powder ATM

MDL
You need to get your calculator around it, and your google saw sharpened. But tonight I'm bored, so I'll do the maths etc for you...

Skim milk doesn't contain spectacular amounts of protein. But the skim milk powder is about 35% protein (8.8 g per 25 g). See
Woolies Skim Milk at Calorieking. It costs about $6.4 per kg to buy the Woolies Skim Milk Powder (see Woolies online shopping). That's equivalent to $18.30 per kg of protein (you need about 3 kg of skim milk powder to get a kg of protein).

Now all your super-fantastic get-ripped special energy/recovery drinks are going to cost you a lot more than $18 per kg, and they're going to contain a lot less than 1 kg of protein.

Musashi Protein Powder is $3.79 per 100 g or $37.90 per kg (from Woolies). It's just 44% protein, so it costs $86 per kg of protein. That's pretty close to 5 times the price of the protein in skim milk powder.

That's what I mean by skim milk powder wins by a long shot.

And, just for the record, skim milk powder protein content isn't spectacular compared to the special Protein Powders. But it is spectacular compared to most other foods you eat. And it's spectacular value.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 pm

I've found a few good links on the subject of Whey Protein Isolate V Skim milk protein. If you go to this link & look over to the right of the screen there are heaps of topics on this subject.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/49398 ... k-protein/

wheels46

Postby wheels46 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 am

Go the bum nuts (eggs)... still the best bang for buck protein for sure.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am

I've been using this stuff for a bit. Seems to work and is relatively cheap.

The strawberry flavor is nearly tasty. ;)

http://www.naturesway.com.au/vitamin.asp?productID=21

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 am

Hi

I am in the process of losing weight so this may not apply to you, however my Sports Nutrition (Bethanie Allanson) has suggested (told :)) me to give the Sustagen away unless I am not having a meal within an hour. In other words what she is suggesting is that I can meet my recovery needs without the Sustagen in my most instances,

It works for me as I tend to eat after my commutes/rides (e.g., breakfast and dinner).

Regards
Andrew

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:53 am

This sites pretty good.

http://www.myopure.com.au/

MyoPure Aussie whey protein concentrate at $24.95 a kilo, really good value.

I've been getting Protein powder and Creatine from them for about 3 years now. Always good value and have always delivered in about 3 days.

They also have some good info and links as well.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:01 pm

wheels46 wrote:Go the bum nuts (eggs)... still the best bang for buck protein for sure.
OK, let's do the maths.

58g egg contains 7 g of protein. Costs $2.74/12 = $0.228 per egg (woolies home brand eggs). 0.228 per 7 g means $32.61 per kg of protein.

Almost twice the price of the skim milk powder option (see maths in my post from yesterday).

So when you do the maths, it's for sure not the best bang for your buck.

Regards
WombatK

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:08 pm

martinjs wrote:This sites pretty good.

http://www.myopure.com.au/

MyoPure Aussie whey protein concentrate at $24.95 a kilo, really good value.
It's contains 77g of protein per 100 g according to the label on the website.

So, assuming you buy enough to get free delivery, that is $32.40 per kg of protein. Certainly better than eggs ($32.61 per kg of protein).

But if it's really good value, how would you describe the $18.30 per kg of protein that you
get from skim milk powder ?

Cheers
WombatK