Mounting brackets

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Mounting brackets

Postby europa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm trying to get the computer on my bent working.

As you can see from the photo, the bars are very high and a long way from the front wheel. At the moment, you can see the computer at the base of the headstem. It works there, but I can't see it once I start to slide down into the seat.

Up on the bars, the rotten thing is right in front of my face and so close you can feel yourself trying to focus on it to read it - which isn't good for all sorts of reasons.

Up on the bars, it's also too far away from the speed sensor. That's been fixed. You can't extend the range on the CS200cad speed sensor, but you can on the F series speed sensor, so I had one of them modified (another bloody expense - not the modification, they did that free, but having to buy another sensor :? )

The trouble is, although the bars are within the range of the sensor, there is too much interference up there. I can get the computer to work when holding it by the bars, even when holding it near the centre of the bars (they're well within range) but on the bars itself, it drops out. Believe me, I have tried every permutation of computer location (and orientation) and sensor location trying to get the sodding thing to work - both sides of both forks, rear forks, computer along the bars (though it really has to be in the middle if up there).

Mounting the computer on the tiller arm would work, but I wouldn't be able to read it ... which sort of defeats the purpose of having it.

It's been a very frustrating 24 hours since I received the modified sensor.

A bloke on BentRidersOnline has suggested this mount.

Lots more photos at this link.

TerraCycle: Multi-purpose Accessory Mount

My initial thoughts are that I can use this to mount it on the tiller, just above the headset, which just happens to be an ideal location for the computer.

Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking of one for the front to mount a light on.

Are there any other similar products I should be looking at?

Richard

still more flamin' expense, but having forked out for the computer plus and extra speed sensor, I'm sort of stuck on this trail now.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:16 pm

In a generally dry and brick paved car port, why are there two puddles of wet areas under the cars? May I suggest the interference you've experienced are due to some UFO activities. Your dog seemed to be alert to those UFOs and aliens. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Just a thought...

Could you attach an old threadless stem to the upright part of the bars and mount the speedo to it?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Just a thought...

Could you attach an old threadless stem to the upright part of the bars and mount the speedo to it?

Shaun
Do you mean the tiller? That long tube that starts at the steering head and holds the bars?

Not a bad thought. Sadly, the tiller is too thick to slide a neck onto it.

There is enough room on the steerer tube from the forks to mount a threadless neck. I'm not sure I'd want a neck pointing back at my groin though (hmm, that applies to the bracket too). Having a neck pointing forward and a short cross piece installed to take the computer would work only my thighs run right past that area with very little clearance so I can't actually use anything there that's wider than the frame tube :?

That's one of the beauties of that bracket shown, it's mounted on its ends leaving the bit in the middle clear for mounting stuff on. It's only $29 but by the time you convert that to Aussie Pesos and have it delivered, it'll add up a little.

I could try bit of hard plasic about an inch thick, cut into a triangle, mounted to the inside of the tiller (zip ties) with the edge facing the rider rounded to imitate bars. You could fit the computer mount to that as you would for bars (zip ties again) and with the triangular shape, it'd aim the computer back up at the rider. Pity I don't have a chunk of 1" plastic. I could make out of wood. It'd have to be sealed of course. Not a problem. Sheesh, at this rate, I'll have her looking like a chinese junk. Might be worth a try to test the theory if nothing else.

Richard

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 am

I like the look of your bike
Then I asked myself if it was mine what would I change?
Sorry this is off subject :)
My first and second recumbents had bars like yours...
they had to go..
I put on u shapped .... with the U down
this put my arms by my sides
this took away all the twitchness in the stearing at low speed
It ment one could relax ones shoulders and stear though the narowest gape [like on bridges and footways]
As you have no doubt found it is hard when first riding a recumbent to hold a straight line at low speed.
Just a thought

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Rats, when I saw your name on the thread, I thought you were going to suggest some ubeaut bracket :wink: :D

With the Toscana, the price is low because of the components - the Speedmax stuff is really low end, but that's cool, it's good enough to work well and low enough to encourage a 'wear out and replace' policy. The frame itself is pretty good so if she suits me, 'wear and replace' will work well. It's a good entry level bent methinks (cost, efficiency, quality of the frame).

It'll be interesting to see how the bars last. Graeme seems to thing that a Bacchetta set up would go on her so I've got at least one commercial option. Of course, I could just chop a piece off the bottom of the existing tiller too.

Toscana also make this model with USS and one thought is to buy the bits and do that conversion at some point.

First step, learn how to ride the thing. Just me and the lad this weekend. Good weather forcast. With a bit of luck, I should have three days of riding :D

Richard

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Yeah...
wack the miles on and it'll be clear what you feel needs changing

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Maybe not helpfull
but
I put my computer right out front
next to the front derailer
it is one with big numbers :)
put one of those short [2inch] bar end to fit it

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I started to type in a reply.
Then my internet connection died (it's doing that every 10 minutes or so today :? ).

Now I can't remember what I was going to say :roll:

Guess I'm now old enough to own a bent :shock:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Something MacGyvered out of epoxy putty perhaps?

Or just go with the TerraCycle mount, you know it makes sense...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm

I have those moments
O well
The one thing about lossing a train of thought
is these a new one coming in to the station any min

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:44 pm

You know if you had a Garmin GPS comp you wouldn't need to mount it near any sensors, you could just put it where you want it! ;)