Compact Cranks

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Postby wayno » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:02 pm

After all the advice not to re-use pin I got a Connex link from Clarence St Rip Offs for $30. I should have used my new sram chain ($35), anyhow, it was easy to assemble and I feel my chain is secure now.

I took it out for a 40km run. My setup worked fine. Differences I have noticed are:

- Changing gears in the smaller chainring is clunkier.
- Less shifts to small chainring, staying on the larger one more.
- Shifting on FD was fine, except there were a couple of times when shifting from small to big when it slipped a 1/4 turn. I think this is because I shift FD and RD at the same time to try and maintain the right cadence (I have not figured this out yet)
- The extra low gear was only used on the last hill home, and it was appreciated.
- The missing high gear (50-12)....is missed but can live with it. I will keep an eye out for a cheap Dura ace 11-23 cassette

Overall I am happy but need to put in some more k's to really know. I do however feel confident of tackling larger hills.
wayno

08 Scott CR1 w/ Token C30A
80's MBK w/ Campy C-Record
wayno

by BNA » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 pm

BNA

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 pm

wayno wrote:After all the advice not to re-use pin I got a Connex link from Clarence St Rip Offs for $30.

I enquired about the same product at another LBS some time last year and they sell it for $20.

BTW, Shimano has 11-25 cassette and would be a very good match for a 50/34 compact.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:56 am

I went out for a 40km group ride this morning and christened the new compact crankset. All I can say is...BRILLIANT!

I had no real need to use my lowest gear (34/23 combination) but used it anyway on a small hill and spun like crazy :lol: .
DavidH

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:10 am

Glad you liked it.

In my experience with CT over the last 6 months, it's great if it matches your power zone and not need to switch chainring repeatedly. Right now, I am using the 50 ring for pretty much all the local rides (regular cross chaining to the 21 and 23 though) and only move to the 34 on those long steep hills in the National Park. If I am less fit and be able to stay in the 50, then CT may not have been that pleasant.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Previous

Return to The Shed