Segway PT and shared paths

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 am

I've seen one of these a couple of times on the shared path, in particular the overpass bridge over the railway at the Perth Arena (old Entertainment Centre).

Last night around 6pm, it was spotted leaving the RAC building. I can't say it was owned by the RAC, but there looked like someone was giving the female driver instructions outside the RAC building (near the rear staff entrance area) and the segway was driven down the RAC ramps, onto the shared path, and then onto the footpath on Wellington St, towards the shared path along Wellington St, which would then take her to where I have previously spotted it before.

As far as I'm aware, the Seqway is not allowed on shared paths or paths (please don't ask me to point out the relevant section of the Road Traffic Act as they may not have considered a Seqway), as there are references to power assisted vehicles which can't be ridden unless they are classified as a Mobility Device. If this is the case, and if it is owned by RAC (or at least it was located at RAC), then why was it being ridden on the shared path and footpath?

The RAC should be there to represent us (cyclist), in particular as they represent Vulnerable User Group on the Road Safety Council. If this is their vehicle, then don't use it on public paths/roads.

Am I making a mountain out of mole-hill?

Jezza75

Re: Segway PT and shared paths

Postby Jezza75 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 am

The RAC IS the major lobby group for ALL road users, you wouldn't know it tho!
But it does raise an interesting insurance angle..
And as the RAC has just denied my claim against them as the driver in a hit and run was in a car they insured (although she didnt have a drivers licence), I'd say that they still owe me the $5500...
What time did you say the thing leaves the office??

Hills hurt but couches KILL!

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 am

Electric bikes are on SUP. Cyclists ride helmetless and brakeless. Cyclists run red lights. There are so few Segways out there and I doubt any official will intervene even if they are not officially permitted. Share it!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Oxford wrote:The inventor of the Segway died last year when the one he was using went over a cliff with him on it.
Not quite. The inventor of the Segway - Dean Kamen is still alive and kicking. You are thinking of Jimi Heselden, a gentleman who bought the Segway company in 2010.
sig goes here...

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Oxford wrote:Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism.
As @sogood pointed out, plenty of Segways around SOP here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Vis ... gway_tours

The price is just too prohibitive for it to be a viable means of transportation. Hours of standing up, might as well just get a scooter.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:20 pm

They have Segway tours in Queenstown, South Island, NZ. And that was still advertised and run 2-3 weeks ago.

Saw a Segway being used on Elizabeth St, Sydney a few weeks.

vanwonky

Postby vanwonky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

rolandp wrote:Am I making a mountain out of mole-hill?
Yes you are Roland! I have seen this woman using her Segway for months travelling up Roe St. She doesn't seem to be out of control and I don't find her presence on the shared path a problem at all. I always think - why don't you buy a bike or walk - but at least it isn't a car!
Free your mind and your legs will follow

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

vanwonky wrote:I have seen this woman using her Segway for months travelling up Roe St. She doesn't seem to be out of control and I don't find her presence on the shared path a problem at all. I always think - why don't you buy a bike or walk - but at least it isn't a car!
I understand they accelerates off pretty well, at a pace that pulls a separation from bikes. So no interference.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:40 pm

I don't understand Segway-haterz.... I mean if someone wants to look completely lame, surely that's up to them?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

They have too much power to be legal in aus. I've ridden one in Singapore and they are pretty cool to ride. If they were 2k rather than 12 then I think we'd find a way around the legalities.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about the legalities. Just mutter "tosser" under your breath next time you see it and shake your head :)

I saw one a couple of weeks ago going over the freeway bridge near parliament house. the "driver" wouldn't have looked uncomfortable in a bowler hat...

Of course, chances are pretty high they fall about laughing when they see me riding a bike wearing lycra :D

Speaking of clothing, is there a segway forum where owners discuss the merits of wearing underwear under their suits? or tyre size? can you get a carbon one??

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I wouldn't worry about the legalities. Just mutter "tosser" under your breath next time you see it and shake your head :)
Why the discomfort with their presence?

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 pm

How fast can the Segway PT travel?
Each Segway PT comes with two operational settings, "beginner" and "standard". Beginner setting is set to 6mph/13kph, and the standard setting is set to 12.5mph/20kph. 12.5 mph is roughly equal to a 5-minute mile, a really fast run.

from
http://www.segway.com/support/faqs.php

it may have more power than an electric assist bike but it doesn't go any faster. I don't know what the big deal is.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

jet-ski wrote:it may have more power than an electric assist bike but it doesn't go any faster. I don't know what the big deal is.
I can only understand it under that "We vs Them" mentality. Motorists hate Cyclists and Pedestrian, Cyclists hate Segwayers and Pedestrians, Pedestrian hate Cyclists and Motorists. And Segwayers are just too far ahead of the curve and can't care less. We are in a sharing and loving world (not)!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Segways are the BOMB!! i rode on them in Prague and man are they really fun. I was on one with big tyres so i mounted up a curb pretty easily. You so have to try one they are totally awesome!!

Prague on Segway
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:14 am

Oxford wrote:
CommuRider wrote:
Oxford wrote:Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism.
As @sogood pointed out, plenty of Segways around SOP here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Vis ... gway_tours

The price is just too prohibitive for it to be a viable means of transportation. Hours of standing up, might as well just get a scooter.
private land, so no traffic regulations/ADRs to worry about.
SOP is public land and there are authority patrols on bike paths. It is a unique part of Sydney where cyclists, pedestrians and Segway riders share the paths though the Segwayers tend to go off road.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 am

next time I see one I'll ask if I can have a ride! heheh

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 am

Didn't know much about 'em beyond he concept so I choobed.
I didn't realise they had such a turn of speed, helmets more necessary than on a bike methinks. Serious faceplant risk.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:29 am

lol MB, I'll make sure I have my helmet on then!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:41 pm

Public space, public body. It is under a government statutory authority. Info here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/corporate/about_us

Better analogy would probably be the botanical gardens than toll roads.

The Segway operator is private. The riders need to wear helmets. Have seen a few crashes - usually boasters who try to speed up, lose their balance and fall flat on their bums. The operator gives them a filthy and states how expensive they are. It's pretty popular with bucks' groups. That part of SOP can be rather surreal. You have Segway riders trying to avoid disc golfers on the green. The disc golfers are a funny lot, some of them even have caddies. :shock:

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:32 am

sogood wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:I wouldn't worry about the legalities. Just mutter "tosser" under your breath next time you see it and shake your head :)
Why the discomfort with their presence?
No discomfort, I just think that people using them - especially in Perth where the city is 5km sq ish - look like tossers.

I think that about a lot of people in certain situations - like when people ride a bmx or downhill mtb with the really low seats as an everyday ride.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 am

I'm no tkeen on segways, even though I am happy to see more motorised bikes.

Segways are very heavy, very wide and pretty fast too. On the other hand the height is such that the rider has excellent view and are also very visible to the rest of us.

Trikes are also wide and not so maneuvreable as some other modes, and I accept them in far greater numbers.

So, on balance, I'd leave the woman to her thing. If they became commonplace then I'd likely be concerned, but that will not happen with segways.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Grev

Postby Grev » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am

And another one – or maybe the same one with a different rider/driver, whatever they are called!

A happy rotund gent – gave me a wave as I was riding to the Victoria Park SmokeFree Criterium – near the race course at about 1.30pm on Sunday.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Grev wrote:... with a different rider/driver, whatever they are called!
"Boring middle-aged nerd standing up high and looking dorky" will do.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle