Segway PT and shared paths

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:11 am

I've seen one of these a couple of times on the shared path, in particular the overpass bridge over the railway at the Perth Arena (old Entertainment Centre).

Last night around 6pm, it was spotted leaving the RAC building. I can't say it was owned by the RAC, but there looked like someone was giving the female driver instructions outside the RAC building (near the rear staff entrance area) and the segway was driven down the RAC ramps, onto the shared path, and then onto the footpath on Wellington St, towards the shared path along Wellington St, which would then take her to where I have previously spotted it before.

As far as I'm aware, the Seqway is not allowed on shared paths or paths (please don't ask me to point out the relevant section of the Road Traffic Act as they may not have considered a Seqway), as there are references to power assisted vehicles which can't be ridden unless they are classified as a Mobility Device. If this is the case, and if it is owned by RAC (or at least it was located at RAC), then why was it being ridden on the shared path and footpath?

The RAC should be there to represent us (cyclist), in particular as they represent Vulnerable User Group on the Road Safety Council. If this is their vehicle, then don't use it on public paths/roads.

Am I making a mountain out of mole-hill?
rolandp

by BNA » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am

BNA

Re: Segway PT and shared paths

Postby Jezza75 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am

The RAC IS the major lobby group for ALL road users, you wouldn't know it tho!
But it does raise an interesting insurance angle..
And as the RAC has just denied my claim against them as the driver in a hit and run was in a car they insured (although she didnt have a drivers licence), I'd say that they still owe me the $5500...
What time did you say the thing leaves the office??

Hills hurt but couches KILL!
Jezza75

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 am

Electric bikes are on SUP. Cyclists ride helmetless and brakeless. Cyclists run red lights. There are so few Segways out there and I doubt any official will intervene even if they are not officially permitted. Share it!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am

Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism. Interesting in NZ a community group bought some for the local police to use for patrols and after a week or so of use they realised they were illegal and have mothballed them until they can sort out the legality issues.

The inventor of the Segway died last year when the one he was using went over a cliff with him on it.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby pugsly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Oxford wrote:The inventor of the Segway died last year when the one he was using went over a cliff with him on it.

Not quite. The inventor of the Segway - Dean Kamen is still alive and kicking. You are thinking of Jimi Heselden, a gentleman who bought the Segway company in 2010.
sig goes here...
pugsly

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Oxford wrote:Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism.

As @sogood pointed out, plenty of Segways around SOP here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Vis ... gway_tours

The price is just too prohibitive for it to be a viable means of transportation. Hours of standing up, might as well just get a scooter.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 pm

They have Segway tours in Queenstown, South Island, NZ. And that was still advertised and run 2-3 weeks ago.

Saw a Segway being used on Elizabeth St, Sydney a few weeks.
sogood

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

pugsly wrote:
Oxford wrote:The inventor of the Segway died last year when the one he was using went over a cliff with him on it.

Not quite. The inventor of the Segway - Dean Kamen is still alive and kicking. You are thinking of Jimi Heselden, a gentleman who bought the Segway company in 2010.
I stand corrected.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:59 pm

CommuRider wrote:
Oxford wrote:Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism.

The price is just too prohibitive for it to be a viable means of transportation. Hours of standing up, might as well just get a scooter.

private land, so no traffic regulations/ADRs to worry about.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby vanwonky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:26 pm

rolandp wrote:Am I making a mountain out of mole-hill?
Yes you are Roland! I have seen this woman using her Segway for months travelling up Roe St. She doesn't seem to be out of control and I don't find her presence on the shared path a problem at all. I always think - why don't you buy a bike or walk - but at least it isn't a car!
Free your mind and your legs will follow
vanwonky

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm

vanwonky wrote:I have seen this woman using her Segway for months travelling up Roe St. She doesn't seem to be out of control and I don't find her presence on the shared path a problem at all. I always think - why don't you buy a bike or walk - but at least it isn't a car!

I understand they accelerates off pretty well, at a pace that pulls a separation from bikes. So no interference.
sogood

Postby jet-ski » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 pm

I don't understand Segway-haterz.... I mean if someone wants to look completely lame, surely that's up to them?
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:50 pm

They have too much power to be legal in aus. I've ridden one in Singapore and they are pretty cool to ride. If they were 2k rather than 12 then I think we'd find a way around the legalities.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about the legalities. Just mutter "tosser" under your breath next time you see it and shake your head :)

I saw one a couple of weeks ago going over the freeway bridge near parliament house. the "driver" wouldn't have looked uncomfortable in a bowler hat...

Of course, chances are pretty high they fall about laughing when they see me riding a bike wearing lycra :D

Speaking of clothing, is there a segway forum where owners discuss the merits of wearing underwear under their suits? or tyre size? can you get a carbon one??
moosterbounce

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I wouldn't worry about the legalities. Just mutter "tosser" under your breath next time you see it and shake your head :)

Why the discomfort with their presence?
sogood

Postby jet-ski » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

How fast can the Segway PT travel?
Each Segway PT comes with two operational settings, "beginner" and "standard". Beginner setting is set to 6mph/13kph, and the standard setting is set to 12.5mph/20kph. 12.5 mph is roughly equal to a 5-minute mile, a really fast run.

from
http://www.segway.com/support/faqs.php

it may have more power than an electric assist bike but it doesn't go any faster. I don't know what the big deal is.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
jet-ski

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 pm

jet-ski wrote:it may have more power than an electric assist bike but it doesn't go any faster. I don't know what the big deal is.

I can only understand it under that "We vs Them" mentality. Motorists hate Cyclists and Pedestrian, Cyclists hate Segwayers and Pedestrians, Pedestrian hate Cyclists and Motorists. And Segwayers are just too far ahead of the curve and can't care less. We are in a sharing and loving world (not)!
sogood

Postby hanzao » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Segways are the BOMB!! i rode on them in Prague and man are they really fun. I was on one with big tyres so i mounted up a curb pretty easily. You so have to try one they are totally awesome!!

Prague on Segway
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook
hanzao

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Oxford wrote:
CommuRider wrote:

private land, so no traffic regulations/ADRs to worry about.

SOP is public land and there are authority patrols on bike paths. It is a unique part of Sydney where cyclists, pedestrians and Segway riders share the paths though the Segwayers tend to go off road.
CommuRider

Postby jet-ski » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 pm

next time I see one I'll ask if I can have a ride! heheh
jet-ski

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Didn't know much about 'em beyond he concept so I choobed.
I didn't realise they had such a turn of speed, helmets more necessary than on a bike methinks. Serious faceplant risk.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jet-ski » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

lol MB, I'll make sure I have my helmet on then!
jet-ski

Postby Oxford » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm

CommuRider wrote:SOP is public land and there are authority patrols on bike paths. It is a unique part of Sydney where cyclists, pedestrians and Segway riders share the paths though the Segwayers tend to go off road.
just curious is it a publicly accessible area (ie "public space") that is controlled by a public body or a private operator? much like toll roads are publicly accessible but controlled by private operators.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby CommuRider » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Public space, public body. It is under a government statutory authority. Info here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/corporate/about_us

Better analogy would probably be the botanical gardens than toll roads.

The Segway operator is private. The riders need to wear helmets. Have seen a few crashes - usually boasters who try to speed up, lose their balance and fall flat on their bums. The operator gives them a filthy and states how expensive they are. It's pretty popular with bucks' groups. That part of SOP can be rather surreal. You have Segway riders trying to avoid disc golfers on the green. The disc golfers are a funny lot, some of them even have caddies. :shock:
CommuRider

Postby Oxford » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm

CommuRider wrote:Public space, public body. It is under a government statutory authority. Info here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/corporate/about_us

Better analogy would probably be the botanical gardens than toll roads.

The Segway operator is private. The riders need to wear helmets. Have seen a few crashes - usually boasters who try to speed up, lose their balance and fall flat on their bums. The operator gives them a filthy and states how expensive they are. It's pretty popular with bucks' groups. That part of SOP can be rather surreal. You have Segway riders trying to avoid disc golfers on the green. The disc golfers are a funny lot, some of them even have caddies. :shock:
OK that's different, I got the wrong impression, the operator obviously has a permit, limitations on what they can do etc etc. they certainly aren't able to just go free style wherever they want then.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Next

Return to Western Australia