Identifying a Bianchi? (Actually a Tamari)

ggundersen

Postby ggundersen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 pm

yes (stem) , but bars can be whatever (outs- outs, c-c, ins-ins)

paulau

Postby paulau » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 pm

I made a mistake in an earlier post, i got some vernier calipers out and the rear spacing is actually 126mm, so this changes my options quite a bit as the Ventos wont fit unless i get it widened.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:31 pm

paulau wrote:I made a mistake in an earlier post, i got some vernier calipers out and the rear spacing is actually 126mm, so this changes my options quite a bit as the Ventos wont fit unless i get it widened.
True - but getting the rear re-spaced is not a big deal. Take it to any competent lbs and they should be able to help you.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:23 pm

MountGower wrote:I popped a 130mm wheel in to a 126mm 4130 crmo frame yesterday. No arguement. I'm not sure it's good advice but as for myself, I'm happy enough.
From what I have heard, its usually OK for steel frames but not OK for alloy frames
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

paulau

Postby paulau » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Ok thats good news with the rear spacing.

I've been riding it quite a bit over the last few days.

With the vernier calipers the bars are 25.5mm.

The stem is to big for me at 110mm and i would better with say a 75mm or so, maybe the frame is on the bigger side for me.

I tried a stem tonight off a track bike with a different angle, liked the angle more, but it was still 110mm long.

Paul
Last edited by paulau on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:31 pm

paulau wrote: maybe the frame is on the bigger side for me.
That frame's a good size for you mate. Look at the amount of seat post showing. The modern fashion for very small frames only works if you want your bars very low which clearly you don't at the moment.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:53 am

Umm, Paul...
What's that inside the steerer tube, looks like a headset lockwasher to me?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

paulau

Postby paulau » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Ok i've been riding it a little more and reach to the bars seems a little long.

Here are a couple of pics of me on the bike.

The stem is 110mm long and i've got a 80mm coming to try out.
I just want to get these things sorted before i spend any real money on the bike.

Top tube is 55cm.

Face blurred so as not to be immortalized in this thread :)

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:19 pm

getting pretty close,
I would possibly suggest that you toll the bars forward a little bit.

BTW someone has done a pretty good job painting the frame to PANTANI era.
Tamari does sound familiar, I have some bikes mags from around the early 80's and for some reason that rings a bell, I would check but they are on the other side of the continent.

paulau

Postby paulau » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:50 am

Mulger bill wrote:Umm, Paul...
What's that inside the steerer tube, looks like a headset lockwasher to me?
It was a loose washer, should sort itself out when I change the stem, it all seems secure :)
stevendavid75 wrote: BTW someone has done a pretty good job painting the frame to PANTANI era.
Tamari does sound familiar, I have some bikes mags from around the early 80's and for some reason that rings a bell, I would check but they are on the other side of the continent.
I've searched alot for any info on Tamari, but can find none. Only the other thread on this forum.

if you ever get a chance to look at those mags then let me know :)
Paul

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Paul, have a look at the photo with you on the drops, then note the angle in your elbow. That shows you have plenty of room. If you were to shorten the reach to the extent that the angle in your elbow was less than 90 degrees, you would feel cramped.

So, considering that you feel stretched out and considering that you actually do have plenty of room, a shorter neck is certainly on the cards.

But before you go buying stuff, try these experiments.

1 - when riding and feeling strong (ie, before you get tired but after you've wamed up), how do you feel on the hoods? Still over stretched or is that only when you're tired?

2 - move your hands back from the hoods a little so that you are still on that ramp that leads to the hoods, but not actually on them. There are a variety of riding positions along there too. I often ride with my last two fingers lightly wrapped around the bars and the rest of my hands on the hoods.

3 - see how you feel when riding the flats ie, the cross piece of the bars - still stretched out or nicely upright and comfy? Especially test this when you're tired (gee, you'll have to go for a nice long ride, ain't life hard :roll: )

Based on those experiences, try to get a feel for how much you want to move the bars. The easy way is to get hold of a series of necks and try them all, but if you don't have that option ...

On my Jamis, my reach sometimes feels a tad long. However, when I'm feeling strong and riding strongly, I feel perfectly at home on the hoods. As I get tired, I can move my hands back a little, effectively shortening my reach - the bars I have make this very comfortable. When knackered, sitting up with my hands on the flats works well. Importantly, I can ride the hooks comfortably ie, I'm not cramped and it's easy to become so when you ride with the bars at saddle level like I do. Overall then, my reach is fine and really demonstrates (to me anyway) the ability of a good set up to handle the rider in all states of strength and stuffedness.

As suggested above, you'll probably find the bars more comfortable if you rotate them down a little so that the ramps are horizontal (they look tilted upright at the moment).

Richard

paulau

Postby paulau » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:26 pm

europa wrote:1 - when riding and feeling strong (ie, before you get tired but after you've wamed up), how do you feel on the hoods? Still over stretched or is that only when you're tired?
Actualy on the hoods is where i feel the most stretch out, i feel most comfortbale sitting my hands a bit back, but its to far to have easy access to the brake. Its about the same when i'm tired or when i just start out.
europa wrote: 3 - see how you feel when riding the flats ie, the cross piece of the bars - still stretched out or nicely upright and comfy? Especially test this when you're tired (gee, you'll have to go for a nice long ride, ain't life hard :roll: )
The flats dont feel as bad as when i'm on the drops or the hoods.

Thanks for the info, i'll go for a ride tonight, if it cools down enough!

Paul

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 pm

stevendavid75 wrote:Tamari does sound familiar, I have some bikes mags from around the early 80's and for some reason that rings a bell, I would check but they are on the other side of the continent.
That's be great Steven, anything is greatly appreciated.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

paulau

Postby paulau » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 am

Well the bike has a name now:

Any ideas if my cranks would work ok with 9 or 10 speed Campag in the back? As the wheels i'm going to put on take a campy cassette, i figure the shifters should be ok for now as they aren't indexed.

Regards,
Paul

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am

Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulau

Postby paulau » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:23 pm

OK so i'm changing the stem. How do i remove the extension?

I cant seem any way to un-attach it from the top of the forks. The extension is sitting firmly inside the top of the forks.

Regards,
Paul

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

If he's used a commercial item, there should be a bolt to turn at the top. Loosen that off, then give it a whack with a hammer - it's pulling up a tensioner that's hanging off the bottom of the extension and loosening the bolt, then giving a hard whack, just knocks the tensioner loose. Exactly the same as a quill (if you've ever used one).

However, that close up makes me wonder if he hasn't just jammed a pipe in there :shock:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 pm

europa wrote:However, that close up makes me wonder if he hasn't just jammed a pipe in there :shock:

Richard
My thoughts too, I'd pull the fork and let the LBS have a look, brute force may just destroy that lovely fork, a capital crime in my book.

You could also go a direct swap for the chrome Gippieme unit on my Tamari if you wish....... Image

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

paulau

Postby paulau » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Unfortunately it looks like its just jammed in. I'll pull the fork out fully tomorrow night and give it a closer look.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulau

Postby paulau » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Got it out, took the wheel and brake caliper off the fork and hit it out from below.

It was definitely quite firmly in there.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 pm

paulau wrote:Got it out, took the wheel and brake caliper off the fork and hit it out from below.

It was definitely quite firmly in there.
What was it? Just a lump of pipe?

Richard

paulau

Postby paulau » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:16 pm

It was actually an extension, but it had been jammed in and the bottom thing that holds it in place was half missing.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed..
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.