What Wheels For My Weight

Deanoz

What Wheels For My Weight

Postby Deanoz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

You may or may not have read up on my thread about my weight loss regime.

Currently im around 170 kgs and im looking at changing my GIANT XTC2 2010 Wheels for something a little stronger to support my weight..

I want to be able to use the same running gear, same rotors and tyres/tubes and I have no idea what to look for or buy..

Price wise - Doesnt matter to me atm as I will be using it as my daily.. Sold the car! So this is my new hobby/pride and joy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

scotto

Re: What Wheels For My Weight

Postby scotto » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:59 pm

170kgs is the main info needed i guess, but what about type of riding, amount of riding, and especially budget
a set of well made custom wheels would me my recommendation. i got mine as i was 110kg and continually breaking spokes, going out of true etc. now my TWE wheels are trouble free no matter what i throw at them, and am therefor only too happy to recommend them. http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/

otherwise, look for a touring type wheel, heavy duty and lots of spokes

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks Scotto.

I mainly want to use it for commuting to work. Busy streets, etc

I run the schwable skinny tyre.. and Im finding my spokes seem to loosen and the wheel becomes un-true!

I still would like to use the bike for off road when I can.. But predominantly it is street riding!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm

32 or better still 36 spoke wheels.
Double butted spokes, they are stronger than single gauge spokes.
Shimano SLX hubs, XT or Hope if you can afford it.
I have seen these rims suggested often for larger gents "Sun Ringle MTX 33 Welded Rim" from c r c
Look for rims marketed as "all mountain" "free ride" and down hill. Cross country rims are usually much more light weight.

more info to be found at this US based forum.

You could order custom wheels from c r c

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Definitely 36 spoke. It may be possible to get 40 spoke wheels.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LHT

Postby LHT » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Sorry I don't know if you want 26" or 29" wheels.

Anyhow, I started touring last year weighing 108Kg and with my bike initially weighing well over 50Kg with luggage, I knew the rear wheel had to be very strong, like you I bust up machine built wheels with 2mm spokes pretty quickly.

This combination has been bulletproof over more than 7 months of constant touring; xt Deore hub/freewheel, DT swiss triple butted spokes, Sunrims Rhyno Lite triple hollow-double walled rim. I believe these are offered in a disc brake form, but if not I apologise. I have really given this rear wheel hell and the older it gets, the less I have to tune the spokes as they find their own balance, that's the beauty of handbuilt wheels.

You shouldn't need to go this heavy on your front wheel, save some weight and some money, but go at least 36h on the rear
Last edited by LHT on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 pm

I've had great success just respoking stock 32 spoke wheels with quality double butted spokes. I don't weigh as much as you, but know of someone who does, who had similarly good results. Does require finding someone who knows how to build wheels well. I got a book and did it myself last time, 4500km with no broken spokes so far.

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am

mikedufty wrote:...Does require finding someone who knows how to build wheels well. I got a book and did it myself last time, 4500km with no broken spokes so far.

even getting your current wheels re-tuned may make the world of difference if it can be done right.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 am

yeah i got them re-tuned recently and they are holding up ok..

I do around 20 kms a day now to work and back. My rotors are constantly making hissing noises from friction which is causing me to slow down..

So i definitly need to look into a pair asap..

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:22 am

Because you are using a 26" MTB, the answer is easy. Just get a downhill or "gravity" wheelset.

Eg:
The set below has 32 straight (or direct) pull spoikes. Considered stronger than J spokes. Normal MTB XT wheels have only 24 straight pull spokes.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... id=0;pgc=0