They're everywhere (ish)!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

NotTim wrote:I took a day trip down to flying furniture on Sat to have a test ride on a couple of bents, I found myself rather worried by how much I enjoyed the Giro 26.

The price tag is just a tad more then I'm willing to spend just now, by the time I added some luggage and some uprated wheels I'd be pushing $3000, but I can see the possibility of a bent somewhere in my future. I just need to get out and ride the one I've got now enough to justify another bike to myself, whatever shape it is.

Oh, and I think I better start growing a beard
I had the same problem with the Giro. My Toscana cost me $1,300 landed here in Adelaide :wink: Okay, it's no Bacchetta but Graeme rode it and wasn't overly terrified.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 am

The first recumbent I ever read {I’d never seen one at this stage] about was a Street Machine [HP Velotechnik] but it was way out of my price range at around $5000
It sounded like [and still is up there with the best] it would be the best Touring bike.
But I ended spending 3000 on a lesser bike {still was/is a great bike but not in the same class as ether the Street or Speed Machines]
A lot more bike have come on the market in the last 5 years so now there is mind-boggling number to choose from.
And of course it doses depend on what you want to use your bike for…. For me it’s touring with a full load.

Then I went down the road of trying to build the best [for me] touring bike.
From long to short and from up to down… I have now one that is near [maybe as near as I’m going to get] perfect…. But am I satisfied?
No
I keep looking and working on making a better one.

From having the only recumbent in Woolgoolga [pop about 6000] there are now…
6 home build
1 greenspeed trike
2 long recumbents
2 short ones
1 handpowered trike
Not to bad for a small town

But I get off the point…. Sorry
I think… go for the best you can afford and even if you can’t afford it do it anyway.

dhat

Postby dhat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:18 pm

europa wrote:
What are you riding Dirk? We haven't seen a photo of her yet have we?
I've got a Giro 26. No photos yet...

Dirk

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:29 pm

dhat wrote:
europa wrote:
What are you riding Dirk? We haven't seen a photo of her yet have we?
I've got a Giro 26. No photos yet...

Dirk
Cor, another one of them cheap things. That's 3 of them on the forum. :D

Given the money, I'd have one too :wink:
But I'll stick with my elcheapo Toscana :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 pm

NotTim wrote:Oh, and I think I better start growing a beard
You don't need to worry about that: one comes in the box with the bike. :D

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Hotdog

Re: Update on progress

Postby Hotdog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm

dhat wrote:An update...

I've not been able to ride a lot the last few weeks - only a couple of runs. I can see a lot of improvement already, but still a few things are difficult.

- Clipping in made 500% difference.
- Starting on uphill fine except very steep uphills where it may take a couple of false starts.
- Travelling over the Gladesville bridge is still scary when passing other communters/pedestrians. Same with any other steep and narrow sections. I find it difficult to stay on my side.
Glad to hear you're getting the hang of it Dirk. I'm not surprised about you feeling a little uncomfortable passing on the Gladesville Bridge path, it's barely wider than two bikes. I'm not entirely relaxed passing another bike on it whether I'm on the DF or the 'bent.
- Small sections of my commute entirely impossible (Hotdog will know these sections - underpass of Gladesville bridge on west side (not the steps), crossing Victoria road in Balmain using the overpass when coming from Lillyfield, getting onto Gladesville bridge at the East end (involves a sharp turn into a steep uphill section of the bridge), section of path connecting 2 roads near the first hill in Drummoyne from the west side - ?do you ride all these sections by now?).
I think I know most of the spots you mean. I have ridden pretty much all of them, but some of them remain awkard enough that I still chose not to.

The footbridge over Victoria Road is extremely hard, the ramp on the Anzac Bridge side in particular has an very narrow switchback which definitely requires you to unclip the inside foot to avoid heel strike and when you're heading westward it's a steep uphill so you need to keep pedalling one footed round the corner. Fortunately it's such a tight space you can easily grab the railings with your hand to steady yourself. I've sort of done it a few times, but I don't very often use that bridge and unless I'm in the mood for a challenge I'll usually just dismount. If you get to the point when you can reliably ride over that bridge in either direction without help from the railings then you'll truly be a master of 'bent riding :)

The section of path joining two roads in Drummoyne and the uphill turn onto Gladeville Bridge from the direction of Gladesville I do routinely ride, but it took a while before I could. The path bit in Drummoyne is one of the few places where I still sit up off the seat for extra balance as it requires very low speed riding and turning. The uphill left turn onto the Gladesville Bridge needs you to unclip the inside foot and pedal one footed round the bend if you want to do it 'properly' (staying on your own side at all times) though I'll admit that if no one is coming the other way I get lazy and go wide on the approach and exit of the corner so I don't have to turn so tight that I have to unclip.
- Going faster than 40kph can feel a bit loose especially when pedalling.
That's interesting, one of the things I've always liked about my Giro 26 is how solid it feels at speed. Try using lower gears, pedalling a higher cadence/lower torque should reduce pedalling induced wobble.

dhat

Postby dhat » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for the tips, Hotdog. I'll let you know when I am the master of the Victoria Road overpass :D .

I've commuted on my MTB this week. Until I'm more confident with the problem areas on my trip and to compare with the Giro. I took a longer trip - 20kms each way for 4 days. I ride the Giro in the most laid back position at the moment.

I've noticed 2 things. 1. A DF saddle is uncomfortable :shock: . 2. My speed on a DF is slower than I remember.

I noticed that although my speed is faster uphill on the MTB by a few kmh, it is not as significant as I first thought - maybe 2-3kmh. On the flat around Drummoyne bay, my speed is easily 3-5kmh greater on the Giro than on the MTB. On the downhill I will outcoast the MTB easily.

But who cares about speed if you can enjoy the trip so much more :D .

Dirk