Kosciusko Trail Rides....so who wants to do one?

WhoRoo

Kosciusko Trail Rides....so who wants to do one?

Postby WhoRoo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Anyone out there who has done some of the KNP fire trails? I'm not interested in the Thredbo stuff. Just some 6-8 hour day rides. I'm out of Canberra so need to get started by 8.00am and out by dark. Happy to do a loop [A back to A] or go A to B and try and work some transport in between.

Cheers
Last edited by WhoRoo on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarrenH

Re: Kosciusko Trail Rides

Postby WarrenH » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 pm

One could ring the Tumut Visitors Centre and ask them to send the latest KNP newspaper the '2010 Guide to Kosciuszko National Park'. On pages 20 and 21 it tells you the 13 fire trails that the Park Service wants you to ride on, including tarmac.

The Park Service uses phrases to describe the rides as, "a climbing ride on a sealed surface," "if you are feeling energetic", "involves two small creek crossings" and "easy to moderate riding on resort roads." That sounds really good?

But you might like a ride on the ridges to the west of Adaminaby above Lake Eucumbene. At Denison at the moment, the lake there is only at 22% capacity and can be crossed on the low water trail to the Barrier on the old road. Then turn right (up) the Tolbar Trail, then left into Happy Jacks trail to the area known as Eucumbene Lookout and return. Eucumbene Lookout isn't a place for tourists.

The journey is about 21 ks each way. The topos for this ride are 1:25,000; Denison 8626-3S and Old Adaminaby 8625-4N

Crossing the lake is cool. About 4 k is done (in total) on the lake bed, on the low water route. There is a high water route just above the dam's high water mark. The crossing is on the Eucumbene River west of Denison Campsite off the Sawmill Track and the old 4X4 fisherman's track down to the river. You will find it. If you cross at the high water route, follow the powerline clearing, that will lead you to the Tolbar Trail.

I'm sure you would like the return journey from the Lookout. It is a sustained downhill of 300m for 15+ k's, back to the lake. It doesn't get much better than that.

Crossing the lake, I followed 4X4 tracks. Which supposedly approximated the old road before it was flooded. It is amazing to see such low water levels nowadays (emptied over the last 8 years courtesy of Snowy Hydro keeping Tooma and Blowring full).

I wont ask you, "if you are feeling energetic" or would mind doing "two small creek crossings."

The best way to discover Kosci' is to just go exploring. At the back of the Brindies, and from Yaouk (the closest access into Kosci') there are some great fire trails. The Frost Plains of the North (Mary's Hill and Mount Jackson) and in the Goobragandra Wilderness at places like Bobby's Plains and the Bogong Peaks the riding is fierce and stunningly beautiful.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Bushnbitumen

Postby Bushnbitumen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Very nice Warren, I hope I get to ride there one day.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Those water bars look like fun. Whee! 8)

Not sure I fancy the climb back up though. :lol:

WhoRoo

Re: Kosciusko Trail Rides....so who wants to do one?

Postby WhoRoo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:04 pm

OK bit of interest out there [100+ hits] but it looks like 'Warren' is the only one out there doing some KNP trails. (Thanks for the great pic's Warren)

I'm keen on gathering a group together to do KNP Round Mountain down to Dennison in the next month or so. I'm organising a 10 seater bus with multi bike trailer, share costs at about $50 a head. Ex Canberra returning same day.

This ride is on rolling high country two track little used (since KNP was locked off) fire trails now the domain of bike or hike. The pic's attached give you a good idea of their condition. There are some steep [1:1 gear] sections. It starts to flatten out past Mackey's Hut into some open country fast flow trails and ends with a 15k fast run down the well made (service road) Tolbar Road to the Denison Camping Ground.

There are two walk across river crossings and numerous shallow ride over streams.

Time estimate is 6-8 hours for the 65k's. If you are moderately fit, as I am, you'll know it by the end …..but I also have an age handicap.

Expressions of interest welcome.

Send a message via this forum and I'll get back to you.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 85a8a6101f

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:31 pm

What time of year you thinking?

WhoRoo

Postby WhoRoo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 pm

When it's not too hot, when it is not too cold..... next 4-6 weeks.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Might have to pass. I've got the Mont booked in for 9-10 April.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:56 pm

WhoRoo, very good timing for your ride. I was hoping that you would post your images, I'd seen your post in the ACT section. They are fantastic shots and describe the trails very well.

I'm not new to discovering Kosci' trails, I've been riding and camping in Kosci' for yonks. From the good old days when riding was allowed up on the Main Range.

Nowadays, I ride to do photography, fishing and breath'n-in the mountain air.

I'm leaving Canberra on the 14 of March and riding to Omeo on the Bicentennial National Trail (on the main trail) and coming back through Snowball and Kydra. I'll be on some of the tracks you'll be on. At 15 Mile Ridge and Round Mountain I'm leaving the trail and heading to Jagungal then onto to the Grey Mare Bogong before coasting down to the Geehi to rejoin the BNT. It would be excellent if we crossed paths, I'm flexible with my route, so I'll keep an eye on the timing of your ride.

This week has been spent riding a dehydrator and vacuum bagger.

From Round Mountain to Jagungal.

Jagungal to the Main Range.

Heading down to the Geehi.

Looking up.

Looking up again.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WhoRoo

Postby WhoRoo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for your post Warren. Some fantastic shots from the high country. The Bi National Trail will be a great adventure... keep packing that food you are going to need some fuel!

I'll keep an eye on your travel dates and get back to you if we are on a similar schedule. It's a busy time coming up with XC races, James Williamson, Capital Punishment and Mont.... March might be a bit too soon to get a group together, but we will see.

Rgds Roo

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm

WhoRoo wrote:The Bi National Trail will be a great adventure... keep packing that food you are going to need some fuel!

Roo, Regards to you too Mate. I'm going to ride (or attempt to ride/hike) the new proposed route for the BNT between Dr Forbes Hut to Dogman's Hut, that takes riders off the tarmac. I'll then go on to Omeo. I've been on the trail several times. I'm a section coordinator for the BNT.

The food photo above, is 2/3rds of the food I'll carry. For this coming trip the food theme is, Southern Indian. I like to cook. I especially like to cook Indian flat breads, when I'm riding. The GU gel, EX Power Bars and Gatorade, are the essential non Indian snacks. I'll post another shot showing what 8 weeks of food for a self-reliant bike-pack is. 6 weeks of riding supplies and 2 weeks of reserve supplies.

The mobile kitchen.

On the way to Omeo.

From the olden days before riding was banned on the Main Range. There is still the Summit Road ... but not to the summit.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun May 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm not sure how many ACF MTB Forumites frequent the touring section, so a link to my last tour is here ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =8470&v=UV

I still have to post the distance stats and compile the climbing stats and mention what gear worked and what didn't work well.

Have a good day.

Warren.

ndc

Postby ndc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm looking for an adventure in Kosciuszko national park which involves a bit of riding (30-50km), fishing and an overnight stay. I don't want to be camping around caravans/cars, so areas accessible only by foot/bike is a must.

Anyone have any tips or hints? Reply here or PM me. :)