1949 Dutch 'Cyrus' Track bike on E-bay in S.A.

HappyHumber

1949 Dutch 'Cyrus' Track bike on E-bay in S.A.

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Apologies if someone else on here has already linked it but check out the crazy angles on this old puppy.

I'd be curious to hear comments from some of our resident experts ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 pm

AND HOW ABOUT THIS BSA "OPPY" ON YANKEEBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=013

nice!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Both great bikes in great condition.

Looking at the Dutch bike I can't imagine how difficult it must have been reaching the drops while trying to sprint hard. Contorting your body to that angle must have restricted breathing.

I didn't know the Oppy Malvern Star came in a limited edition gold model. Such a wonderful piece of Aussie cycling history; I hope it returns to Australia.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 pm

GaryF wrote:I didn't know the Oppy Malvern Star came in a limited edition gold model.
Were Malvern Star associated with BSA?

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Firstly, it's not an Oppy Malvern Star, it's an Oppy BSA.

When Oppy rode in overseas locations, like in the UK, it would seem that he rode BSA branded bikes, but here's the rub.
In Australia, General Accessories was the national distributor of BSA [Birmingham Small Arms] components, but General Accessories was a division of BSA [Bruce Small Australia] This was the holding company.
Now of course BS Australia also owned Malvern Star & in the 20's & 30's Malvern Star bikes were built with best quality [or lesser quality, depending on the model] BS Arms components.

It would seem that while in the UK [& elsewhere?] BS Arms would supply the cycles for Oppy to race on under some contractural arrangement & it would appear a possibility that they also sold 'replica' models for public consumption.
Either that, or the seller has an original Oppy BSA race bike, which seems unlikely in this instance. Either way, it's a bloody good bike but I doubt that it has even seen Australia, but I hope it comes here none-the-less.

Last edited by Kid_Carbine on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:46 pm

bloody tempting but who knows what she will fetch, almost worth a consortium bid??? But who knows, worth keeping an eye on wheter or not bicyclepassion bids on it....

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

Currently at a satanic $666.66 US with 5 days & 3 hours remaining. I suspect that the bidding is just warming up.

If you look closely, you can see that this is an English made 'Cyclo Oppy' 3 speed derailleur.
[There was also a French Cyclo company]

Conloy Cobra alloy brakes. These first saw the light of day in 1937 I believe.
This is one well equiped machine.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Loved the twin cable rear mech, wasn't it White Industries touting their 9 speed version as cutting edge not that long ago? :lol: There is nothing new under the sun.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:01 pm

If my eyes dont deceive me, arent the forks slightly bent?

Karen.

531db

Postby 531db » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 pm

No way in the world is the dutch cycle a 'track' racing bicycle.
It's a classic slack (~65 degree) angle roadster frame. another case of somebody believing that rear facing dropouts mean track when they were actually very common on a variety of utility type bikes around the world.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:16 am

Heres the steep angled, short wheelbase, tight framed racer thet 531db speaks of.
I agree entirely. Rear facing dropouts were the norm on just about ALL bikes untill about the mid 30's, & even then, forward facing road dropouts were quite uncommom untill more modern type derailleurs started to become popular in the 50's.
This is, in fact, a very nicely finished & presented machine, ... but a dedicated track bike? I don't believe so.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 am

I must admit - the eyelets on the rear dropouts - and what appears to be also on the forks - made me a bit dubious about the "track" description.

Eitherway.. this seller isn't half as blatant as that recent Malvern "fixed track" roadster with mudguards & coaster brake recently. Reminder here

Anyway.. I'm just enjoying soaking up the trivia myself in the meantime. Maybe one day I might be actually in a good position to know a genuine vintage bargain when I see it.

I must post about my old Swansea kerbside find. Curious to know what's known of this ol' WA brand outside the routine Google.

cheers

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 am

Hi Kim,

I've heard of the Swansea, did they have a swan cut into the lugs or on the head tube?

I'd love to have a ride of the old Dutch Cyrus just to feel what it's like. I've gor a bike with a 70.5 degree seat tube angle and you can feel the difference that makes. You tend to 'push' the pedals more. I saw a photo of an Eddy Merckx bike that Andy Hamsten was riding, in a pro tour race, that had a really relaxed seat tube angle. Eddy was experimenting with rider position at the time. Unfortunately there was no mention of what the outcome was in the article.
Last edited by GaryF on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:49 am

GaryF wrote:I've heard of the Swansea, did they have a sawn cut into the lugs or on the head tube?
Yep, at least mine has. I'll get my act together; start a new thread and post some pics of my (sad) example and the one other I've seen perhaps this evening - got a busy day today.

cheers
Kym

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:01 am

It 'd de nice to get a local bike back on the road.