650c wheel set

jwg

650c wheel set

Postby jwg » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm

hey all,
I picked up tiny repco frame today and turns out it doesnt take 700c wheels. Does anyone know anywhere in melbourne one can pick up a 650c wheelset. I've had a look and I cant find anywhere that would have 650c fixed wheels, only normies. I'll show some piccies once I get it up and running :D
cheers

ironhanglider

Re: 650c wheel set

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:36 pm

650 was particularly popular for Triathlon and TT a little while ago.

There is quite a bit of old good stuff on ebay. Usual caveats apply.
A brief search and I found http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAVIC-CXP33-RIMS ... 3cb53b038d and http://cgi.ebay.com.au/650c-velocity-wh ... 500wt_1156

Cheers,

Cameron

jwg

Postby jwg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm

yeah kindaaa. But I need/want fixed. It got me thinking though, if i dont have any luck finding fixed i guess i could have them "rehubbed". I'll see how i go, cheers though

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:45 pm

A 650c track wheelset is a pretty specific left of centre type of item. I doubt you'd be able to "pick one up" but you should be able to get something built up by a reputable shop without a lot of drama. Plenty of 650c rims out there, Velocity do them from memory, I have a 650c Deep V on an early 90s TT bike.

It might be wise to do some research into the rims to see what's available before you buy hubs. No point finding that 32 hole is all you can get after you've bought 36 hole hubs.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Uncle Grumpy wrote:No point finding that 32 hole is all you can get after you've bought 36 hole hubs.

Grumps

Wise words to live by, Grumps. :wink: :wink:

jwg

Postby jwg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm

cheers guys,
I'll see how i go. Apparently i get a velocity set for about $450 or so

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

have you actually measured the frame from the dropouts to the brake bridge, to see what wheel it is really made for?

I had one of these bikes when I was a lad (it was my first road type bike when I was in grade 7) and I'm pretty sure it had 24" wheels on it... I'd hate too see you get the 650's and find out they won't fit either.
Andrew

jwg

Postby jwg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Lark2004 wrote:have you actually measured the frame from the dropouts to the brake bridge, to see what wheel it is really made for?

I had one of these bikes when I was a lad (it was my first road type bike when I was in grade 7) and I'm pretty sure it had 24" wheels on it... I'd hate too see you get the 650's and find out they won't fit either.
yeah, i get that. But i held 700c to it and they seem to just not fit. it pretty much looks like it would take a 700c without a tyre. So i think it might be a fairly safe assumption that it will take 650c... I hope

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:12 pm

jwg wrote:
Lark2004 wrote:have you actually measured the frame from the dropouts to the brake bridge, to see what wheel it is really made for?

yeah, i get that. But i held 700c to it and they seem to just not fit. it pretty much looks like it would take a 700c without a tyre. So i think it might be a fairly safe assumption that it will take 650c... I hope
Ooh. Not good to assume. I just ran a tape measure up the seatstay of my wife's bike (with 650c wheels). It was just a bit over 33 cm from the centre of the axle to the centre of the brake bridge. You could probably get away with a bit under 33cm because her brake bridge was set at the highest possible extent of the calipers to give her the option of mudguards if she wanted. (custom built frame). If your frame is not close to this then you might be looking for a different rim size again. Any more than that and you'd be looking for longer reach callipers in order to make 650c's work for you.

Cheers,

Cameron

jwg

Postby jwg » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
jwg wrote:

Ooh. Not good to assume. I just ran a tape measure up the seatstay of my wife's bike (with 650c wheels). It was just a bit over 33 cm from the centre of the axle to the centre of the brake bridge. You could probably get away with a bit under 33cm because her brake bridge was set at the highest possible extent of the calipers to give her the option of mudguards if she wanted. (custom built frame). If your frame is not close to this then you might be looking for a different rim size again. Any more than that and you'd be looking for longer reach callipers in order to make 650c's work for you.

Cheers,

Cameron
ah very good, i think i'll measure it out. Not home right now but i'll do it asap. Just lost out on some velocity deep vs on ebay for not too much more than 200.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Pretty peed, so i really hope the frame takes a different size now... But then again, they weren't the colour i wanted :P

jwg

Postby jwg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

i did it!
so yeah, overall very happy with the way it turned out.
turned out the fit nicely together with nice clearences, jussst no toe everlap, so pretty much perfect.
goes around corners real nice and tight too, without the slightest sign on pedal strike

notable bits and peices might be,
the 650c velocity deep vs (sorry if i offend anyone by leaving the stickers on.. not too sure what the etiquette is for deep v stickers yet)
8inch crank set
cloth handlebar tape (quite nice)
i quite like the look of charge masher chain too (half link)
and not to mention the top of the range vader saddle from ebay

thanks for lookiing!