The "Excuses" Thread

CommuRider

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby CommuRider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Pfftt :P

How big's the boat?

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

broady

Postby broady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am

Been sick with the flu. Haven't ridden since last Monday :(

Dastirum

Postby Dastirum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I don't know if this comes in the excuse category or not, but I rode in to work yesterday morning and fully intended to ride home, but looked out the window at 4 ish and it started raining. So I thought bugger it! I had to be at a function at Sydney Uni by 6.30 so I left the bike at work and caught the bus home - the bike is chained up in the bike racks 3 levels underground so it's safe. The rain only last 5 minutes!!!!! Later on in the evening there wasn't even a cloud in the sky. Caught the bus to work this morning (well I couldn't ride, could I?) and will ride home.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

CommuRider wrote:Attending the symphony tonight (performing is Taiwanese-Australian Ray Chen with his Stradivarius!) so the cage will make me feel more secure than dealing with the hoons coming to the Cross and George St. 9pm on the bike in the CBD is already pretty hairy, so no risks for me at midnight especially on a Friday night.

May enquire tonight when I pick up the tickets whether the SOH does have secure bike parking so I can attend matinee performances. Given Wilson Parking charges an extortionate amount for car parking there, paying a nominal bike park fee to ensure my bike and its contents are safe is something I do not mind stumping up for.

(and speaking of the Strad, front cover of this week's Economist...
Luthiers through the centuries have tried to copy the Strad but none came close to the best of the master's. Yet again, Stradivarius also produced some undesirable instruments in terms of sound quality. The best of its quality is much more than just getting the micron dimensions right.

As for SOH parking. There are bring-your-own-lock public bike racks underneath the main stairs but nothing in Wilson Parking. Otherwise you can head for Domain Parking and they have dedicated bike spaces.

But seriously, do you really want to show up for a classical concert in sweat? Public transport makes much more sense if you don't want to drive.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:03 pm

I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

ps: special thanks to John and Hugh for stopping to scrape me off the road and keep me conscious. Mrs S also would like to thank you for helping her direct the ambulance to the "remote" location.

Jon

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:53 pm

silkishuge wrote:I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

ps: special thanks to John and Hugh for stopping to scrape me off the road and keep me conscious. Mrs S also would like to thank you for helping her direct the ambulance to the "remote" location.

Jon
Sounds like a nasty accident. Heal quick!

One thing you didn't mention was how the bike fared?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 pm

I had far too many things to do after work today to ride.

Took me an hour and a half to do them in the car

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Yowsa, Silk! Heal quick.

My excuse for the forseeable future: I'm looking after a pair of rambunctious puppies and I'm not quite ready to leave them at home unattended. Working from home is no fun in this heat. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks guys. I am healing very slowly. They had to remove a huge slice of flesh from my thigh and grafted to my elbow. The bike is fine. Not a single scratch on the frame, but pedal, skewer and shifters were scratched, wheels needed to be trued and front and rear brake cables needed to be replaced. Not happy about the scratched shifters but works perfectly. All other components are fine.

Ride safe.

Jon

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 pm

silkishuge wrote:I have not ridden since last Wednesday, which was my last commute to work and might be for a while. My excuse is I had a bad fall going down Bobbin Heads. I blame myself and 40% on a car that overtook me in a dangerous spot, which made me lose my concentration. The driver surprised me, overtook over double white lines on the down hill and at speed. I fell at the middle ranger station right bend and landed on m,y left side of the body which resulted in one week in hospital, 2 surgeries and medical exemption from work till 18th April 2011. SO I guess that rules out riding on the road for a while,but I hope to be back on the trainer next week. I worked hard to get to this level and don't want it all to go to be wasted. So that is my excuse.

Jon
Oh Silk,
So sorry to read this, I had no idea.
Get better soon, When you are well again, maybe I will see you at Bobbin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm

My excuse is that I have to much on my mind. :(
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 pm

BoardRider wrote:Image
I couldn't leave this guy home alone
I have never seen one in the wild :? how did you get him or her. Sooooooooooo cute

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 am

Cute Koala.

Alarm went off at 5:20am, get up, look out the window, go back to bed.
Alarm goes off at 6:00am, hit snooze, roll over and went back to sleep.
Alarm went off again, finally got up...

Can someone lend me a cup of cement??
2010 BMC SLC01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 am

Daugter is sick.. have to stay home. :( Also missed my early ride. Damn you red triangle. :(

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 am

Just got a garmin so I need to read how to use it. No riding today

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Oxford, but this is an excuse thread, so thats my excuse :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm

I'll be taking the long way home, gotta black dog to kick. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 am

"Damn! Someone has stolen my other wheel." :x
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am

Got a mild concussion after stacking into someone playing soccer. No ride or work for me today.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Got a mild concussion after stacking into someone playing soccer. No ride or work for me today.
Hope you feel better soon - but not too soon (it might give me a chance to move up one spot in the Endo challenge)

Maybe you should have a week off.

Seriously Mugglechop - hope you recover well and get back on the bike soon. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:36 pm

westab wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Got a mild concussion after stacking into someone playing soccer. No ride or work for me today.
Hope you feel better soon - but not too soon (it might give me a chance to move up one spot in the Endo challenge)

Maybe you should have a week off.

Seriously Mugglechop - hope you recover well and get back on the bike soon. :D
I feel a much better now thanks.

Not commuting again until Monday so you should be able catch me.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 pm

12 hour shifts... 2am till 2pm, I don't like riding at 12:30am....
Andrew

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm off to work overseas for two weeks. Unless Qantas is going to let me take my bike as hand luggage it will have to stay behind. :(

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

Tired and slept in after staying up till 3am watching a live stream of the first Belgian cobblefest of the year, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.

cinnyis

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby cinnyis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 am

No commuting for me today. Looks like I upset an ankle injury from last year except this time it's painful to pedal :-(
And to add to my grumpiness I missed my tram by about 2mins and had to wait 15mins for the next. My commute takes about that....
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'