The Heart Rate Thread

ft_critical

Re: The Heart Rate Thread

Postby ft_critical » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

So first road ride in 3 months. 3months ahead of doctors orders, but… :roll:

2xAkuna, WH, McCarrs. Weird thing was my HR. I was climbing even little burgs at LT HR (175). Longer climbs I pushed up to 185 vs Max of 195. It was quite scary. :shock: But, I wasn’t puffing or feeling lactic. I was spinning up feeling great. PE wise, I thought my HR should have been in the 150’s.
This happened once before, after I was sick, I did a race at Eastern Creek and had a super spikey heart rate. I couldn’t pull a turn or chase a break without nearly maxing my HR.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

I've had the same time off with my brocken bits first two rides my heart is off the planet after that back to normal:(

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Make sure your doing the right thing FT. The objective of training is to make improvements, not damage your health
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 pm

I must have missed something FT...why have you been off the bike?.
I have super spiky HR's when I have been sick...did a 8hr mtb once in a team...if I had not been in the team I wold not of ridden...my HR would be in the 190's with the slightest effort...I turned it off (HR monitor,not my heart) in the end.
Anyway having done the technology thing...when I ride again I may use a speedo...that will do.PE is close enough to Watts for me...HR :lol: .

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:22 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I must have missed something FT...why have you been off the bike?
Hi TLL, broken clavicle, partial shouder reconstruction and an broken rib, in the back right near the spine.

photo in this thread:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 9&start=75

sli123

Postby sli123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Not sure what I did wrong today? I get the occasional dodgy read but today the HR numbers were off the chart for an extended period.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/69534740

:shock:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:08 pm

sli123 wrote:Not sure what I did wrong today? I get the occasional dodgy read but today the HR numbers were off the chart for an extended period.

Those spikes at the start look like bad data. The max of 227 looks on the high side.
<removed by request>

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
sli123 wrote:Not sure what I did wrong today? I get the occasional dodgy read but today the HR numbers were off the chart for an extended period.

Those spikes at the start look like bad data. The max of 227 looks on the high side.
With Garmin products the spikes happen early , before perspiration wets the contacts sufficiently enough to work. I warm my strap contacts under the hot tap, dry & then use Bar- Bump cream, although apparently saliva will do. Havn't had a spike since I've followed this procedure.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 pm

I use saliva on the contact points of the chest strap and wet them as much as possible. I'll often get a random spike early in the exercise for 1 or maybe 2 km's. Yesterday's went for a lot longer than that which was new.

How long between wetting the chest strap and starting exercise doesn't seem to make any difference and I always have the strap pretty tight.

I've been told that occasional spikes in HR is a regular thing in a large portion of the population, so I'm not looking to blame the HR monitor for being faulty or my ticker for being dodgy.

Not yet anyway.

:wink:

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 am

sli123 wrote:I use saliva on the contact points of the chest strap and wet them as much as possible. I'll often get a random spike early in the exercise for 1 or maybe 2 km's. Yesterday's went for a lot longer than that which was new.

How long between wetting the chest strap and starting exercise doesn't seem to make any difference and I always have the strap pretty tight.

I've been told that occasional spikes in HR is a regular thing in a large portion of the population, so I'm not looking to blame the HR monitor for being faulty or my ticker for being dodgy.

Not yet anyway.

:wink:
This is the exact process I use. Works the best. You could also use the conductive gel - never tried it myself.
You may also get spikes passing anything emmitting a strong frequency that will disturb the connectivity (i.e power/booster station - I have one that I pass sometimes that always gives me spikes).
Also your top can cause spikes - high wind making it flap against the sensor. Worse still if the top has been put through a clothes dryer and you have static on it. I sometimes wear a compression top underneath that helps with the interference from a flapping top.