Physio - Medial knee pain.

MaximumINC

Postby MaximumINC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Just looking for a good physio for some medial knee pain that I've developed in the last couple of rides, it's almost to the point of needing to get of the bike because of the pain.

I've had a bike fit done by one of the best guys in Brisbane and since then the only thing that I've changed has been an update to the pedals (old Shimano Ultegra's to the new 105's). I didn't look until this morning but there's about a 1mm difference in seated position of the shoe in the new pedals. I've adjusted the cleat to compensate but other than this I've not had any injury or similar that would contribute to bringing on this pain in my knee.

In the past I've had problems with my ITB causing knee pain but thanks to the pain stick (foam roller) I can manage this quiet easily.

Any suggestions on who I should go and see would be great, haven't been in ACT long to know of anyone.

Thanks for the help.

2007 Scott CR1 Team
2001 Merida 905 Magnesium
2009 Merida Matts TFS 900 - aka... the dirty one!

gannet

Re: Physio - Medial knee pain.

Postby gannet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Do you have a preferred location? There's a few in Woden. My previous bloke, Konrad, went off to take a desk job just as my last medial probs were fixed.

I rang another place as I knew one of the people, (Bjarne at Woden Integrated 6282 5010) but as he's an established 'Senior' you wait longer to see them.
I took the earliest appointment, ie, a younger less established player, young lady name of Jo, but was well pleased with the treatment. I probably have enough experience with medial treatment to be a reasonable judge :( ( which is the 'pain and suffering' emoticon?).
Taking pot luck with anyone there will probably get you a good result.

They all seem to be in Corinna st, just over from the plaza.

psike

Postby psike » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 am

Cath at Sports Care Physio at O'connor shops. Can't rate her highly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

MaximumINC

Postby MaximumINC » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I did end up getting in at Sportcare with Cassandra. Looks like I'm doing all the right things, seems to be all related with the ITB.

Just got to keep klm's down, rolling & stretching the ITB and hopefully it will get better... all be it slowly!!!!

2007 Scott CR1 Team

psike

Postby psike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 am

ITB is a common one, I bought myself a foam roller then a hockey ball. Goes wonders and no more pain pterosaur than the self induced kind. Good luck.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 am

psike wrote:ITB is a common one, I bought myself a foam roller then a hockey ball. Goes wonders and no more pain pterosaur than the self induced kind.
wiggle got foam roller and it works the trick. But what does the hockey ball do?

MaximumINC

Postby MaximumINC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 am

When your foam roller doesn't make tears form in your eyes... it's time for the hockey ball...

2007 Scott CR1 Team

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 am

are you guys talking the actual field hockey ball?? any video on how it's used?

MaximumINC

Postby MaximumINC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

That's the one mate - you use it like you use the roller on your ITB. The hockey ball is just more focused and you get dig into your ITB deeper with it.

The big difference is that you don't roll as such (or at least I don't, because I'm a spaz and whenever I've tried the ball runs off my ITB into my quad or hammy... :shock: PAIN!) So I just place it in three to five spots along my ITB and slowly put more weight onto it, hold for 45 - 60 seconds and move the ball to a new spot on the ITB.

Should be something on youtube... I mean it has got everything else... lol.

2007 Scott CR1 Team

psike

Postby psike » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I roll quads, hamies and ITB with foam or a golf / hockey ball depending how tough I feel :). I actually roll on it but use hands to support myself. The more you use them the easier it gets, but starting out a foam roller almost had me in tears.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco