Time to petition to have the Veloway resurfaced 100%

williamsf1

Time to petition to have the Veloway resurfaced 100%

Postby williamsf1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 am

I will keep this short, but I find that the surface is now beyond acceptable, and that it is pretty dangerous in parts!!!

surely it is time now for a FULL smooth resurface with top quality hardtop ( like city roads / clipsal circuit??? )

I have seen far too many shunts due to the poor surface!!!

ideas?

MichaelB

Re: Time to petition to have the Veloway resurfaced 100%

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am

Agree there, but haven't seen any shunts.

I guess start with BikeSA, and the next bit would be to find out who is the responsible council ?

Once you get to the end of the expressway, it's not too bad, but there are plenty of sections (like near Majors Rd) where the cracks, lumps & bumps are pretty average.

Almost need a Mtn bike !!

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 am

yeah it is a real shame considering it is designed to keep cars and bike away from each other!!!!

I just tells me its far safer on the roads!!!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Yea one of the flat sections near the tafe has the wires showing through :shock:

The surface has noticeably been getting worse for me to ride on(Maybe once every 2months)

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Agreed, i ride this every week and it's becoming a shambles. I'm concerned about how the widening of the Expressway will affect it too.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 am

I hope that by widening the express way that will mean a total dig up of said path!!! and they can do it RIGHT this time...

another place that makes me get !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! is that amy's path out near woodside!!!! WTFWTT!!!!!

its rubbish surface, and dangerous.... I will stick with the road!!!!

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 am

williamsf1 wrote:I hope that by widening the express way that will mean a total dig up of said path!!! and they can do it RIGHT this time...

another place that makes me get superfantastic is that amy's path out near woodside!!!! WTFWTT!!!!!

its rubbish surface, and dangerous.... I will stick with the road!!!!
has anyone checked out the so called "new" bike lane on majors rd? makes the veloway look like tarmac tullamarine.... i find the veloway on a whole ok... there are some sections that are terrible tho, like near majors, which a part of it has been resealed.... nice to see they have sealed around the manhole cover near young st.... now that was dangerous....

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 am

The veloway is not that bad, a few places need attention. The area around the council works at Seaford is not that flash with the detour riding on road base.

Majors road bike lane is a bit of an excuse and waste of money. The dirt was rolled, covered in gravel and sprayed with a thin layer of tar. It is bumpy and all the gravel is coming loose. I still try to keep on the shoulder of the road surface and only ride in the bike lane if there are vehicles from both directions.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Ratts wrote:
Majors road bike lane is a bit of an excuse and waste of money. The dirt was rolled, covered in gravel and sprayed with a thin layer of tar. It is bumpy and all the gravel is coming loose. I still try to keep on the shoulder of the road surface and only ride in the bike lane if there are vehicles from both directions.
Ditto

Stera

Postby Stera » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:54 pm

I road the Veloway for the first time in a road bike over the weekend and still have the shakes!!
Like the expressway, it was a great idea... At the time.

Dont get me wrong, its better than nothing and a great challenge, but when I was riding along Marion Road (opposite Harvey Norman's especially), I was thinking how average the road is... THEN I GOT TO THE VELOWAY...

There is such a huge difference between the nice smooth tarmac and the older surface.

I'd be all for a resurface, hell, I'd donate my time to help out!
2011 Merida RaceLite... First Road bike is so far alot of fun!