Nuts...

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

Re: Nuts...

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Well I am off the pain killers at the moment ( for 3 or 4 days)...so thats a start...don't think a corset will be needed,phew.But not sure how (or if or even when) I should start doing some exercise again.Maybe I should just be a slob for a month or two to let my back heal...saying that it is painful to touch and my shoulder is annoying me...just not enough to hit the nurofens.
Spinal surgeon is in 3 weeks...haven't made an appointment for the chronic pain doctor yet.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm

I catch you exercising before a doctor says "O.K.", I'll kick your arse. :evil:

:P
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm over docs...maybe I will try again in 6 when I am in Oz.
I am having 2 more Hydrocort injections right at the bottom of my spine on Thursday.Is it me or when doc's have an idea in their head it doesn't really matter what you tell them.
Anyway I don't know if it will help as I think the problem is higher...but it can't hurt,they are pretty strong so it will spread around a bit.
I am on the mend...but still am doing nothing exercise / stretching wise...funnily I could touch my toes first go while the surgeon was looking me over last Thursday.
The one thing he said was I had to lose lots of weight...I am not fat but I am a big guy,he reckons it will help a lot losing 15 kilos...no surprise there,but losing weight with no exercise is tough.
C'est la vie.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:48 am

Man, you should be applying for a FF discount/loyalty scheme. Buy 4 injections, and the 5th is free !!!!

Hopefully and extended time off the bike and a chnage of scenery may get somewhere to recovering/discovering what the actual problem is, and then the holy grail of a solution.

May the force be with you !! 8)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Luckily they are all free...done and dusted...not too painful but bloody hurt...will update in a week or so.
Also turns out L5-S1 i a lot higher than I thought...good things as it means it is roughly where the worst pain is.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 pm

I have been meaning to write this for a while. Might not help, but I thought it might be related based on what I read earlier on.

I guy at work is a pretty exceptional XCtry skier, a Canadian. He had a frozen shoulder for about a year. Couldn't do anything. Physios, doctors etc. Manipulation, drugs. Nothing worked. Finally, he was recommended to an acupuncturist. He knew exactly what to do and released the ligament. Instant fix. It took a long time for the muscles to be back in shape though because he had been compensating for the ligament issue for a long time.

I had a similar experience with neck compression and acupuncture.

You have tried everything else, why not acupuncture?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Thought about it plenty of times...can't hurt if I can find someone.I am flying solo with the kids for 5 weeks thou...wifey is playing with XXX in south america...so not much time to spare all of a sudden :lol: .

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

toolonglegs wrote:Thought about it plenty of times...can't hurt if I can find someone.
Chatted again about this. The guy he uses teaches Acupuncture and is located in Crows Nest. He also said during the XCCY season there is a 'sheath' that runs down the sides of his body that would tighten up. All sorts of physio manipluation failed to loosen it up. The body fights back and tightens more. However, the needle in the right place released all the tension.

I don't have any opinion on this one way or the other, just passing it on.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Why does the sheath only run down the sides of his body during the XC ski season? :?

Semar

Postby Semar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

My understanding, from my wife who had a frozen shoulder until recently and widely researched the subject, is that it tends to go away on its own after 12 months or so. :( Treatment or no treatment.
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

trailgumby wrote:Why does the sheath only run down the sides of his body during the XC ski season? :?
"that would tighten up" is the qualifier :wink:

It makes it sound like it doesn't tighten up when he's not XC skiing. Just goes to prove that exercise is dangerous and should never be done! :P
<removed by request>

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:07 pm

yeh that happens to me aswell sometimes my right NUT only moves up their,it dont hurt may be he just wants to sit up their when i ride anyway as soon as i get home an streech he gos back in his bag with his pal

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 pm

:lol: ...OK :| .

Over two weeks since the last injections...yes a bit of change but not a lot.
Well I am pretty much finished with everything here...maybe warmer climate and less damp will help when I am back in Oz!.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am

trailgumby wrote:Why does the sheath only run down the sides of his body during the XC ski season? :?
where can you buy this sheath ? :P

frozen shoulders get better eventually regardless. can be 9-18months though
acupuncture shouldnt ever fix anything, but it does sometimes, and regardless of the placebo effect, if it gets the job done, works, thats fine.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 am

Over a month since the last injection...and guess what!!! :D .
Last Tuesday 18km
Thursday 25km
Friday 33km
Today 44km
Ok all is not great but it is a start.Not sure if the injections have started working after so long or not.But I feel pretty good.Still pretty sore around the lower T's and L1 junction...thorasiclombar?.Something like that...yup still the Syndrome des Maignes symptoms,but they are bearable on a bike and just as importantly don't get worse after the ride.The pain is very specific now at that junction with zero referred pain anywhere else which is great.I am very tight in my butt/flexors etc but will slowly work that out...after nearly a year off I will take it pretty slow.
Long way to go yet...when I can do up my shoelace easily I will be fixed!...and I know it could all go backwards in a couple of weeks if the injections are working.
So fingers crossed!.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 am

Good news at last, but don't bugger it up by trying too much too soon. Remeber what Twizzle promised .... :wink:

philip

Postby philip » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:57 am

Sounds good - at least you're on your bike!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm

MichaelB wrote:Good news at last, but don't bugger it up by trying too much too soon. Remeber what Twizzle promised .... :wink:
Yep - Euro-48 shoe into the backside will hurt.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 pm

:lol: You wear 48's?! :shock: .
I'll ride when I feel good,won't we I don't :D .
Feel good after yesterday thou...that is the biggest thing,not being crippled the evening after a rollout.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:50 pm

toolonglegs wrote::lol: You wear 48's?! :shock: .
I'll ride when I feel good,won't we I don't :D .
Feel good after yesterday thou...that is the biggest thing,not being crippled the evening after a rollout.
Just checked, make that 47's.

I know, I have small feet... :|

When U back in Sydney?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

My 2 size 46'ers will be back in Syd between mid may and end of June.Not exactly sure yet...a lot depends on how the wifey's networking goes.We are not paying for flights so we can be a little bit late in booking.
But I am now quite glad I have my retro Cinelli waiting for me...might need a bit of attention but at least I wont have to bring a bike with me :D .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm

You kick him with the 47s and I'll hit with the mallet to knock some sense into him as he straightens up from the kick Twizzle. :idea:

That's good news for you TLL! :D
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You kick him with the 47s and I'll hit with the mallet to knock some sense into him as he straightens up from the kick Twizzle. :idea:

That's good news for you TLL! :D
He'll have to post in the "Black balled" thread then as well :lol: :lol: :shock:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 pm

foo on patrol wrote:That's good news for you TLL! :D

+1 :)
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Cold and wet outside...good excuse to have two days off in a row :oops: .I could HTFU but that may have been what caused the problem in first place.
There is a 56km cyclosportive on Saturday thou...and most of the club is riding (in the 135km version)...might be worth a go :D
So yup good news...so far!.
Cheers all.