Iliotibial Band tight

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
BarryTas

Iliotibial Band tight

Postby BarryTas » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 pm

so my Iliotibial Band is tight.

does anyone eles get this. i know the strengthening exercies to do and it is a b^&%& the streach.

any advice
when do we stop for coffee???

toolonglegs

Re: Iliotibial Band tight

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Foam roller...lie on it and roll yourself up and down with your full body weight on it...sit and hold at the most painful parts till the pain subsides.

Mir

Postby Mir » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm

You can try something called "The Stick". Similar concept as a foam roller, but you hand roll it into your legs.

Probably the same effect as a foam roller on the floor though.

And yes its painful. But its saving you from much worse if you don't stretch it out!

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:03 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Foam roller...lie on it and roll yourself up and down with your full body weight on it...sit and hold at the most painful parts till the pain subsides.
I was doing that, I was crying like a little girl. Man that hurts.

I was getting regular massage to loosen the ITB up, but I kept getting thrown out after stuffing the pillow into my mouth to muffle the screams.

I got my foam roller from Workout World. You can get cheaper from department stores but they don't have the density in the foam.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 am

I use a swimming noodle with a broom stick down the middle (tight arse)...I do it more on my glutes / piroformis while in a stretch position.I nearly black out from the pain...but at the same time it is rather pleasureable :P .

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 am

toolonglegs wrote:.... (tight arse)...I do it more on my glutes
:lol: Well, that makes sense.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am

You havent lived till your phsyio pushes mush of her weight on the point of her elbow along your ITB. It's therapeutic, so I was told. It did help. The foam roller thing is a good tip, I'm gonna have to source one for mine.

Have you done the odd cross-leg stretch over a chair or bench? I'll try to dig up a picture or method someplace. That really works well for me, YMMV, but you have to hammer it day in, day out to have an effect.

Jim

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 am

i have my massage stick and just got a foam roller, i should be right in a few weeks.

that what i het for not streching properly
when do we stop for coffee???

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

familyguy wrote:You havent lived till your phsyio pushes mush of her weight on the point of her elbow along your ITB.Jim
I dare say you havent lived until HE puts all his weight on the ITB ;)

Golf Ball = portable physio
On your side - & just put pressure on it, hold for 20-30sec, move it down a little
Do the entire length of the ITB

Nothing beats a golf ball - gets into all the little places Glutes, back, scapula etc...
Its been the stable of the Institute physios for 15+ years

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah foam roller (for starters).

Hurts like a bastid until you get used to it in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Then after that.... nothing. Until you forget for a while. Then maybe cricket/golf ball.

I do all over thighs as well.

There is a fella on Utube with what looks like a good regime for loosening legs (looks good to me; dunnno about physio's). Can't remember the link :oops: but it's worth a look.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

After the foam roller gets soft move onto a good tennis ball...cricket / golf ball :shock: .

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

another option is to stretch. i have scoliosis-induced ITB syndrome and have used stretching to good effect.

there's a specific stretch you can google, you stand like a kid who needs to go to the toilet.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm

jules21 wrote:another option is to stretch. i have scoliosis-induced ITB syndrome and have used stretching to good effect.

there's a specific stretch you can google, you stand like a kid who needs to go to the toilet.
No, stretching is dumb and does nothing according to some smart and well educated people who troll this site with half-precise articles to back.

But really, yeah; Stretching it out fixed my ITB syndrome almost completely.
that's the stretch you're talking about. I stop halfway during a run and do them, and do them again while i'm eating my recovery after a ride or run. And are you lot seriously whinging about foam rollers? My foam roller's a wooden baseball bat :lol:
What are these salesmen peddling?

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 pm

[quote="Wayfarer And are you lot seriously whinging about foam rollers? My foam roller's a wooden baseball bat :lol:[/quote]

Wouldn't be as big or as hard as my foam roller! :wink:

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm not going to say what i use instead of a foam roller, new forum rules & such

Cheers for the ITB stretch!!!
Stretching FTW

humpy125

Postby humpy125 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 pm

You may have already seen this but at least having a link here may make it easier to find.
I have found some more info at this site: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0415/p1545.html

ozrider

Postby ozrider » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 am

If the ITB runs on the ouiside of the leg, what is the one on the inside of the thigh?

This is the one I'm having trouble with...
Some people are like Slinkies, they're really good for nothing..

..But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Comedian

Iliotibial Band tight

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

ozrider wrote:If the ITB runs on the ouiside of the leg, what is the one on the inside of the thigh?

This is the one I'm having trouble with...
Hmmm you might want to be careful rubbing the one on the inside of the leg. It might lead to some inflammation :shock: :mrgreen:

I have no idea what the serious answer to you question is :embarrassment:

alf

Postby alf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Wayfarer wrote:And are you lot seriously whinging about foam rollers? My foam roller's a wooden baseball bat :lol:
In my days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

BruceGray

Postby BruceGray » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:14 am

More often than not, ITB stretches don't work. Flavor of the month physio thought is that it is a weakness in gluteus medius, one of the butt muscles, and therapy prioritizes strengthening of that..

In my experience, it is rarely a glut med weakness or ITB tightness alone. It is a combination of several factors which will all be considered by a methodical physio familiar with cycling:

- anatomical or functional lower limb length difference.
- foot pronation -> tibial internal rotation, medial knee movement.
- medial deviation of sub talar joint axis -> medial knee movement.
- adaptive bone spurs or left/right congenital variation of the femur's lateral epicondyles +/- fibula head.
- descended and fixed fibula head.
- asymmetry in the recruitment, strength, length, and cross sectional area of vasti, especially vastus lateralis.
- biceps femoris length and recruitment variation.
- asymmetry in seated position on bike.
- asymmetry in knee extension force.
- asymmetry in saggital plane knee excursion for other reasons.
- poor hydration leads to increased friction of ITB on epicondyle.
- too rapid a progression in training volume +/- intensity.
- inadequate tissue repair due to medications, poor diet, hydration, or sleep.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 am

BruceGray wrote:More often than not, ITB stretches don't work. Flavor of the month physio thought is that it is a weakness in gluteus medius, one of the butt muscles, and therapy prioritizes strengthening of that..

In my experience, it is rarely a glut med weakness or ITB tightness alone. It is a combination of several factors which will all be considered by a methodical physio familiar with cycling:

- adaptive bone spurs or left/right congenital variation of the femur's lateral epicondyles +/- fibula head.
- asymmetry in the recruitment, strength, length, and cross sectional area of vasti, especially vastus lateralis.
nice post. shame no one has a clue what youre on about. also, you left out phases of the moon and biorhythms...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 am

scotto wrote:
BruceGray wrote:More often than not, ITB stretches don't work. Flavor of the month physio thought is that it is a weakness in gluteus medius, one of the butt muscles, and therapy prioritizes strengthening of that..

nice post. shame no one has a clue what youre on about. also, you left out phases of the moon and biorhythms...
Actually I've spent some time in a physio recently and that bit about the butt muscles resonated with me because that's what my physio told me to do... so actually I thought it was pretty good. :)

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:45 am

[quote="Comedian
Actually I've spent some time in a physio recently and that bit about the butt muscles resonated with me because that's what my physio told me to do... so actually I thought it was pretty good. :)[/quote]
i didnt say it wasnt good, just that 99/100 people would be like Say What !!
[quote]
- poor hydration leads to increased friction of ITB on epicondyle. [quote]

so you understand all that then? maybe my idea of this forum differs from bruces.
and poor hydration and ITB friction syndrome is a long bow to draw in my professional opinion.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am

scotto wrote:nice post. shame no one has a clue what youre on about. also, you left out phases of the moon and biorhythms...
+ 1

also you should check whether your chi is in balance :)

BruceGray

Postby BruceGray » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 am

scotto wrote:nice post. shame no one has a clue what youre on about. also, you left out phases of the moon and biorhythms...
I have yet to see you post one knowledgeable post on anything physio related Scott...
Just troll slurs...aren't you a bit old for that mate?

As for dehydration

1. Acute dehydration -> decreased blood volume -> interstitial fluid pulled from tissue to increase plasma volume -> decreased interstitial fluid within and around all tissue including that experiencing friction = tendons and bone surfaces, and joint cartilage.

2. Chronic dehydration -> poor perfusion of tissue with nutrient, oxygen, anabolic hormones -> compromised repair of microtrauma.

As for using scientific names for body parts, 15 years ago the general public didn't understand ITB. Now a lot of recreational athletes do. I for one prefer to educate clients, and I prefer people in other fields deal with me likewise. I could dumb things down and cause a lot of confusion with vague references more palatable for standard unmotivated suburban physio clientele satisfied with a hot pack, 3 min rub, electro and a whinge; but correct medical terms are less ambiguous. In the age of google, it isn't hard to look up medical terms.
Last edited by BruceGray on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.