Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

HAKS

Re: Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Big A++++ for Onya Tuggers and Phillip. Just put a deposit down on the missus's new MTB (AT) Philip after excellent service at both stores. Thought we had missed out on the great deal they had going (2011 model with 30% off) when we went in last week to buy it only to be told they were sold out :(. Went to Onya Belco on the weekend who did a pretty good price (15% off) but also mentioned that model would be on a good sale this week ;). Called them up yesterday to see how much it was going for only to be told there was no sale and never a plan to put them on sale even if the manager said there was on Sat :x. Min they would do was 10% for CORC or Pedal Power members, which i am a member of neither.

Figured our luck was out so went to Phillip today to see if they would do the 15% off on warehouse orders they offered last week only to be told they found one out back and would still do it at the 30% price :lol:. Needless to say I wasted no time putting some $$$ down to secure it. Now just have to get past this weekend (house inspection) before we pick it up and hit up Sparrow Hill :mrgreen:.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

bella26

Postby bella26 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Anyone know where in Canberra sells Speedplay? I just need to get some cleat covers but can't find a place that stocks them so far :-(
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:35 pm

bella26 wrote:Anyone know where in Canberra sells Speedplay? I just need to get some cleat covers but can't find a place that stocks them so far :-(
TLC in Phillip have had them before (got mine there). Seen them somewhere else as well but can't remember which shop.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:47 pm

I think one of the shops on Lonsdale st has them.... The one that has Trek's, opposite Lonsdale St Cyclery
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 am

Watch for overservicing at a big shop near the city. Earlier in the year I was told I required a new cassette - a week after replacing it myself. Clearly they hadn't looked, the thing was shiny as.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Fletcher wrote:Watch for overservicing at a big shop near the city. Earlier in the year I was told I required a new cassette - a week after replacing it myself. Clearly they hadn't looked, the thing was shiny as.
If it's the same one I had to deal with, it's not cause they haven't looked at it, it's because they're hoping you know jack all about bikes and can accordingly screw you out of some hard earned
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Sounds like the same shop that told me I "need" Dura Ace brakes on my roadie. The Tektro ones I had worked fine though I'll admit not as good as DA, but I don't see that I needed them, the Tektros weren't broken. Needless to say I haven't been back there since and never will be and reccommend the same to all my cycling friends.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:03 am

Robdog wrote:
Fletcher wrote:Watch for overservicing at a big shop near the city. Earlier in the year I was told I required a new cassette - a week after replacing it myself. Clearly they hadn't looked, the thing was shiny as.
If it's the same one I had to deal with, it's not cause they haven't looked at it, it's because they're hoping you know jack all about bikes and can accordingly screw you out of some hard earned
Oh I know they were trying to screw some more coin out of me, it's just that you'd think they would at least check the cassette wasn't spankers before telling me I needed a new one. I still use them for urgent, unforeseen work that needs to be done in a day(broken spokes on the way to work etc.) as it's a big workshop. But for planned stuff, forgeddaboudit.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:21 pm

That'll be another black mark against 'that' bike shop - I went in there in a last ditch attempt to find someone that stocks spokes to fit a Dura Ace tubeless wheel (7801-sl, rear drive side just in case anyone has any lying around...) and was basically told I'm too "big" to be riding a 20 spoke rear wheel, and fitting with tradition he promptly offered to build me a set of wheels, no doubt after laying out a 'fair' chunk of folding stuff. With shops stuggling to attract customers in the face of overseas competition I would have thought insulting ones you do have would be a bad idea...
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I went in to one of the Onya shops recently with all 3 kids in tow for new helmets - pin heads become fat heads as they grow. The staff were great and i have no complaints there by any means. Mind you, that is one of my local shops too so i'm no stranger either. I wasn't interested in buying cheap $20 helmets from kmart and wanted something half decent. 3 x $59.95 helmets with my little discount from being a financial member in a club. Okay - i admit i didn't go price hunting beforehand, as to get all of us anywhere together in business hours (ie weekends around school sports) is difficult.

Handed over approx $160. 3 days later after 9 punctures between us (bloody 3 corner jack thingos), and I went into the city onya shop to buy more tubes and patches and the same helmets were there for approx $15 cheaper each. :roll: the price difference would've almost made up for another one as a spare for mates that come over.

That stung a tad. If it was one for me, then fair enough. 3 though... oh well.

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I would have mentioned it to the staff and gotten a discount/refund. Sqeaky chain gets the dry lube if you know what I mean :P

cog_nition

Postby cog_nition » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:I would have mentioned it to the staff and gotten a discount/refund. Sqeaky chain gets the dry lube if you know what I mean :P
Maybe not...whilst the four Onya shops have similar name and branding my understanding is that the Tuggers/Phillip and Civic/Belco are owned/operated seperately. So you might expect similar pricing at Phillip and/or discount on similar products but not necessary at Civic (depending how nice they were feeling). I'm happy to be corrected however.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:35 pm

cog_nition wrote:
yehuwdiy wrote:I would have mentioned it to the staff and gotten a discount/refund. Sqeaky chain gets the dry lube if you know what I mean :P
Maybe not...whilst the four Onya shops have similar name and branding my understanding is that the Tuggers/Phillip and Civic/Belco are owned/operated seperately. So you might expect similar pricing at Phillip and/or discount on similar products but not necessary at Civic (depending how nice they were feeling). I'm happy to be corrected however.
Pretty much spot on.

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 pm

True, but I never used to complain or haggle either. Now I do both and often come out well ahead. Even do it on fleabay, amazing how many people will take a reasonable offer and close the auctions. In the end if you were happy enough with the outcome then that is all that matters :)

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Bike Hub - a newie in Tuggeranong is definately worth a look. Good service and no pushy type sales tactics. Went in to buy 10 yo daughter a new helmet as hers had got crushed coming back from coast in the trailer. Went to BH first to see what she liked and then to Onya - both provided good service same price for the helmet but Matilda chose the one at Bike Hub - no hassles from Onya either. Purely a matter of which one she was happiest with and therefore happiest to wear.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 am

Cruiserman wrote:A certain store in removed did their level best to get rid of me as a customer. Wanted to shell out 3600 on a Tarmac Expert - cant take it off the 20m long carpark and the obnoxious boss man dissed just about every other store and bike in Canberra. They decided me on the Fondriest from Onya but Ebay changed me to the S Works Roubaix.
This particular shop in removed, has definitely lost me as a customer. I am also happy that they are stuck in a relatively inconspicuous location.

Went in there after stopping by at the post office collection place, to get a spoke to help repair a wheel for a friend.

They could not even be bothered to find the right length, and after 3 mins was promptly told that they could not get the exact size, but this one would fit. The spoke was 1cm longer than mine! I promptly left the shop, and they will not ever get a cent from me.

On the way home, I stopped at Bikeshed in Gungahlin, and walked away with 2 correct length spokes, at half the price the shop in removed wanted to charge me.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Removed have a very bad name, in particular removedthe boss, especially with the Canb road cycling community. I have heard dozens of similar stories to the above and experienced several similar myself. I used to work with a guy that used to work there as a bike mechanic and he didn't have much good to say about the place.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 am

[mod] Guys, please keep the stories to recommended shops and don't give airtime to the bad ones - naming and shaming (even if cloaked but still obvious who you're referring to) isn't on as it potentially opens the site owner to legal action. [/mod]
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:33 am

m@ wrote:it potentially opens the site owner to legal action.
A sad reflection on the state of the modern legal system IMO
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am

Robdog wrote:
m@ wrote:it potentially opens the site owner to legal action.
A sad reflection on the state of the modern legal system IMO
I know the policy here wont change, but just wanted to say... how is this different to something like restaurant reviews? It has all the same circumstances and features - local business, services provided, goods provided, relies on return business, relies on good name... how is a business expected to change if they operate in a criticism free vacuum? I understand that sometimes it can get out of hand and border on needless defamation, but honest feedback on service can't be silenced.

I personally have found such wildly varying levels of service from bike shop to bike shop, it honestly feels like russian roulette.

But to contribute, Onya bike Civic gets my thumbs up for consistency and actually being nice people.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Here's this month's thumbs up and thumbs down:

Thumbs down to the Phillip LBS that sold a mate of mine some clip on aerobars that were not suited to his heavily tapered handlebars. The shop fitted them and they lasted about 5km of a 40km triathlon bike leg before shaking loose and costing him a decent finish. The bike was returned, aerobars were tightened and they lasted 2km before coming loose the following weekend on our regular training ride. The kicker however was the relocation of his bike computer from the bars to the stem without turning the mounting plate 90 degrees (4 tiny screws, 5 minute job). They happily mounted the computer facing sideways and sent him on his way.

Thumbs up to the Dickson LBS who attempted to straighten my bent Mavic Ksyriums (after I was hit by a car). Rear wheel straightened, front wheel not repairable, cost - $0. They followed this up today when I dropped of my newly assembled (by me) TT bike. Headset bearings not seating properly, front deraileur a bit flappy, chain skipping. Picked it up after work - headset perfect, new radiused washer on FD, rear hangar straightened, hubs tightened on my Zipps, cassette tightened, and gears all dialled in. Cost - $30!!

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 am

Dickson - MalAdjusted? Seemed like a good bunch of people when I was trying to source an irregular spoke just after Christmas. Was only in there for a few mins though.
Hmmm Philip... My guess would be one with some nice wooden floors
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:37 am

Yep, can't speak highly enough of the MalAdjusted mechanics (one of whom is excellent with vintage bikes).

The Phillip store? - nope, not the one with wooden floors but not far from it.

FromTheCapital

Postby FromTheCapital » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Anyone noticed onya in phillip has now changed? it has changed names (slipped my mind) and is now selling Trek

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Popped in the other day and noticed they are now a Trek/Gary Fisher dealer. Didn't notice the name change though. Been meaning to drop into Tuggers to see if they changed as well or if Philip went on their own.