Cyclist Revenge?

Xplora

Cyclist Revenge?

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 am

I've been a bit cranky at the world the last week, and the cars are making me a trifle aggro.

What options does a cyclist have to get back at the cars who oppress them so? We aren't talking about mistakes, we're talking cold blooded attempts on your life. If a car behaved in such a way near me when I was driving, I would gladly put them off the road. I don't weigh 1200kgs, so I need other options.

So far I've got Airzound and camera as noncontact expressions of dissatisfaction. What else is in the arsenal? :?:

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Cyclist Revenge?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:55 am

Xplora wrote: What else is in the arsenal? :?:
An almost infinite capacity for forgiveness. People that deliberately annoy cyclists get off on the agro they cause. Let the little ones go - you won't win in a fight with a car so don't bother.

If you can work out how to do this, let me know.

David

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
An almost infinite capacity for forgiveness. People that deliberately annoy cyclists get off on the agro they cause. Let the little ones go - you won't win in a fight with a car so don't bother.

If you can work out how to do this, let me know.

David
No one is trying to win the fight with the car. You can't beat the car. You CAN beat the driver. I'm thinking panelbeating expenses... www.rigidmount.com Youtube videos have made me horrified of trying to commute in the CBD despite having big green cyclepaths. Drop bars look like they'd be easier to drop the shoulder into a pedestrian :x

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:39 am

Xplora wrote:Youtube videos have made me horrified of trying to commute in the CBD despite having big green cyclepaths.
Which city? I ride through Melbourne every day, and find most drivers to be courteous.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:01 am

Xplora wrote:I've been a bit cranky at the world the last week, and the cars are making me a trifle aggro.

What options does a cyclist have to get back at the cars who oppress them so? We aren't talking about mistakes, we're talking cold blooded attempts on your life. If a car behaved in such a way near me when I was driving, I would gladly put them off the road. I don't weigh 1200kgs, so I need other options.

So far I've got Airzound and camera as noncontact expressions of dissatisfaction. What else is in the arsenal? :?:
I would have a week off, change your routine
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
+1

I find waving and blowing kisses is a great release valve for the arrogant hornblowers. But for the blatantly malicious, your best bet is the video cam and a visit to the local boys in blue.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

LHT

Postby LHT » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:55 am

Smile and wave at them, they aren't expecting it and I've seen it confuse them.
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Don't wave, give 'em the Queens wave - it's even better.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:07 am

Xplora wrote:Youtube videos have made me horrified of trying to commute in the CBD despite having big green cyclepaths.
Stop watching youtube videos. In the last couple of months I've only had one or two incidents which were dangerous enough to make me angry, and I ride through the CBD in peak hour every day. It's really not so bad out there!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 am

As an antidote to those horror vids you're watching, take a look at this useful video of the best way to do it (US, so reverse L&R for Aus)

The more people that ride like this, the safer it gets for everyone.

Or for an Australian viewpoint, there's the Cycling Promotional Fund videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bgVga75 ... re=related[/youtube]
Mandatory helmet law?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Padrone, I checked those out last week. I already take up the whole lane if it's remotely dangerous, rather than take the edge... the problems I have are actually in the sections of road where I am respectful of the cars and take the edge. Guaranteed that if I am being nice, someone is more likely to be a tool.

I've been wondering if a 2 foot length of chain would suffice - it would sound like Armageddon inside the car, and give a useful defence when the driver jumped out (as indeed they probably would)... although I imagine attempted vehicular manslaughter takes away their higher ground so I doubt they'd try it.

I guess it is quite frustrating that the more you give to be sociable, the more idiot behaviour you attract. I thought it was supposed to be "nice things happen to nice people"?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 am

Thought I'd add to this thread as I had a '4WD close encounter' on the way to work today. Guy pulls out from parking spot thinking he is protected by the car parking 3 cars back and he'll beat the minibus coming around it. Unfortunatly I was 20yards in front of the minibus.... Give the guy his due, he was looking in his mirror but just not for a cyclist and he stopped quick enough when I yelled at him (something rude unfortunately, 2 tonne of metal accelerating at my left leg has that effect).
Well point of ramble, he was probably a nice bloke but careless, he didn't mean to try and flatten me :) so when I swore at him he was much aggrieved. Did I gain anything by being rude except prejudicing a 4wd driver even more? Probably not, I will try and restrain myself next time to a more appropriate response.
Like someone said before you will never win a fight with a car on the road so dumb as the drivers may be we have to cut them some slack and politely point out the error of their ways (in some cases at least)
Cheers
Richard

Comedian

Cyclist Revenge?

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Thought I'd add to this thread as I had a '4WD close encounter' on the way to work today. Guy pulls out from parking spot thinking he is protected by the car parking 3 cars back and he'll beat the minibus coming around it. Unfortunatly I was 20yards in front of the minibus.... Give the guy his due, he was looking in his mirror but just not for a cyclist and he stopped quick enough when I yelled at him (something rude unfortunately, 2 tonne of metal accelerating at my left leg has that effect).
Well point of ramble, he was probably a nice bloke but careless, he didn't mean to try and flatten me :) so when I swore at him he was much aggrieved. Did I gain anything by being rude except prejudicing a 4wd driver even more? Probably not, I will try and restrain myself next time to a more appropriate response.
Like someone said before you will never win a fight with a car on the road so dumb as the drivers may be we have to cut them some slack and politely point out the error of their ways (in some cases at least)
Cheers
Richard
You need an air-zound ;)

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Comedian wrote:
WyvernRH wrote:Thought I'd add to this thread as I had a '4WD close encounter' on the way to work today. Guy pulls out from parking spot thinking he is protected by the car parking 3 cars back and he'll beat the minibus coming around it. Unfortunatly I was 20yards in front of the minibus.... Give the guy his due, he was looking in his mirror but just not for a cyclist and he stopped quick enough when I yelled at him (something rude unfortunately, 2 tonne of metal accelerating at my left leg has that effect).
Cheers
Richard
You need an air-zound ;)
You may well be spot on there. I have never needed one so far in Newcastle, defensive riding has got me out of trouble most times but recently there are a lot of people looking straight through me (not an easy task I might add... :wink: )
Cheers
Richard

MiG

Postby MiG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

rkelsen wrote:Which city? I ride through Melbourne every day, and find most drivers to be courteous.
I wonder about that too. My only forms of transport are bicycles and motorbike, and on both I seem to have less run-ins with drivers than popular opinion suggests I should. Maybe because my working hours are a bit later than most (9.30 am start).

Resg

Postby Resg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Great videos - poor Alex, will he ever learn ?

I agree about the whole attitude idea, how we think has a lot to do with how we will evetually get treated. I had a run in a while ago with a P plater who didn't like me taking up the lane (which I don't do unless there is no option). I responded by slowing and giving a very deliberate middle finger which resulted in him getting more worked up and throwing stuff at me. I also gave him a mouthful back. I memorised his number plate, got home and called the cops.
The police officer who came to see me listened patiently to my story, then asked what i would like to do. I realised then that should things go any further, my behaviour would be scrutinised as much as the driver. I had only escalated things by retaliating.
I make a habit of waving to motorists that wait for me now as well, which seems to go down pretty well.

Richard
"There is nothing whatsoever that is not made easier with acquaintance" - Santideva

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes, I always wave a thankyou unless my attention is drawn elsewhere. Costs nothing and people on the whole respond to you better. Occasionally they even wave back! :lol:

When there's an opportunity for me to safely move left and let them past, I usually indicate to them to come a little closer and get ready. They seem to appreciate the advance warning and it gets them past me sooner so I don't get that awkward situation where they're trying to squeeze past just as I'm also beginning to run out of room.

Abusives these days just get the silent treatment, unless I catch them at the next set of lights. Soon, though, it will be lights, camera, action! 8)

janus77

Postby janus77 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 am

There are idiot drivers on the road, but my main aim is staying alive, so i never expect cars to do what they should around me. I reckon asserting your right to be on the road can be dangerous if it's done obliviously, fine to take a lane when you need it for safety, but don't expect cars to respect it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:53 pm

janus77 wrote:There are idiot drivers on the road, but my main aim is staying alive, so i never expect cars to do what they should around me. I reckon asserting your right to be on the road can be dangerous if it's done obliviously, fine to take a lane when you need it for safety, but don't expect cars to respect it.
Agree with the stated aim of staying alive. But part of that often involves asserting your right to road space - rather than 'gutter-crawling' and getting cut up close. I use a rear-view mirror and keep an eye on what's coming up behind. Often being a bit blunt about riding in the middle of the lane (even sticking the arm out to indicate moving right) is the best strategy to tame the tossers and make sure they know they need to chnage lanes fully.
Mandatory helmet law?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:41 pm

LOL epic road rage just 10 minutes ago from a small genitaled 35yo male driving a blue Rodeo. Wish I could remember the plates... BHE-75A? Either way, I was genuinely concerned this imbecile was going to try and drive over me. Clown was so riled up after I pointed to the double lines... I'm kinda sad for anyone he comes into contact with, because he's probably going to either have sex with his sister or beat up his kids. :roll: One of Dundas' shining lights. :lol:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Xplora wrote:LOL epic road rage just 10 minutes ago from a small genitaled 35yo male driving a blue Rodeo. Wish I could remember the plates... BHE-75A? Either way, I was genuinely concerned this imbecile was going to try and drive over me. Clown was so riled up after I pointed to the double lines... I'm kinda sad for anyone he comes into contact with, because he's probably going to either have sex with his sister or beat up his kids. :roll: One of Dundas' shining lights. :lol:
Xplora if you are concerned about this "gentleman" take the information you do have to the police - especially if you think he was trying to risk your well being. The boys in blue generally take these issues seriously as they don't want to scrape anyone off the road. Even if they can't do anything this time they do keep records of incidents and if there is a pattern they will get him.
Often they can find the car and have a short talk to the driver - it does usually smarten them up. Also if you don't have a video camera carry a pen and note pad. We often don't remeber everything when get home - so stop (when safe) and take notes of who, where, when, what happened, and how you felt ASAP.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 am

+1 for the mobile phone as a voice recorder option - most these days have a notepad type app to type in stuff too, but the recorder is the quickest way to get the details.

Riding home from work in the city yesterday along Wynnum Rd & there were only 4 cars parked in the bike lane which just so happens to be a no standing zone till 6pm, 7pm in some areas. Only one of those cars had their driver near (loading kid stuff in the boot) and i couldn't restrain myself any longer as i see the cars parked in the bike lane EVERY time i ride so i had to yell out "did you realise you're in a no standing zone and putting the lives of others at risk?"
This done as politely as i possibly could while cycling by (no expletives at least) - at least the guy had the grace to turn a deep shade of beetroot and stammer some rubbish like "duh, didn't see the sign..." FFS they are posted every 200m or so!

</end rant>

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 am

MiG wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Which city? I ride through Melbourne every day, and find most drivers to be courteous.
I wonder about that too. My only forms of transport are bicycles and motorbike, and on both I seem to have less run-ins with drivers than popular opinion suggests I should. Maybe because my working hours are a bit later than most (9.30 am start).
I don't commute any more, not because of drivers but because I'm spending about 15 to 20 hours on the road training now and I don't have a problem, especially not commuting through Melbourne CBD to get to beach road.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

MiG wrote:
Nope, I think sometimes people do self prophecies a little bit. both riding in Melbourne when I lived there and now in this area which includes rides in Albury, Mildura, Melbourne, Bendigo and Wagga just to name a few, only scares which I've also received when on Motorbike and in cars.
A few idiots in cars with P plates yelling occasionally but who cares, the children will grow up mostly. :lol:

Ride and try to work with not against the other road users will on the whole return mostly good experiences on our roads. 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!