"Get a real bike!"

Hotdog

"Get a real bike!"

Postby Hotdog » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm

The topic of the thread was shouted at me on my commute home from work this evening. When I turned to see where the recommendation was coming from it wasn't a bike snob perched on a road bike costing as much as most people's houses as I was expecting, but instead the occupant of a blue "hoon-mobile" ute. I never knew cyclist-abusing ute drivers were so discerning about bicycles, normally all I get is "Get off the f'ing road" (which admittedly wouldn't have been appropriate in this case as I was on a SUP next to the road at the time) or incomprehensible jeering... :lol:

Oh well, that'll teach me for going out riding on my imaginary bicycle, I suppose, I'll take the real one next time :wink:

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Shoulda yelled "Get a real car, not some ponsy hoon-mobile!" right back at him.

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:18 pm

To the hoon ute driver, a real bike probably is a big throbbing motorbike or Harley between his legs.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 pm

stryker84 wrote:Shoulda yelled "Get a real car, not some ponsy hoon-mobile!" right back at him.
As is almost always the case he was past and gone well before I had time to react at all. To be honest as it's one of the least offensive things I've had shouted at me from a car I was more amused than anything else, I was after all getting cycling advice from someone labouring through heavy traffic in an silly, ugly, overweight and overengined car :roll:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 pm

I'm guessing he was actually a cyclist himself. Non-cyclists see these as "cool" or "wicked". Only hard-core roadies or MTBers (in my experience) know what a "real bike" should look like.

I've had it yelled to me from a truck-full of council workers who were stuck in traffic on the fwy. As I rode past them on the adjacent bike path, one of the guys in the back yelled out "Get a real bike!"

I yelled back "Why?".

We parted ways smiling at each other.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Best reply I've heard Graeme.

Nice to know that bents are so cool that the unwashed masses even have to come up with new insults :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:11 am

I've had a sudden rush of people asking me one question lately as I've rolled to a stop next to them:

"Are you comfortable on that thing?"

They all ask as if it looks like an instrument of torture. I don't understand where the question comes from. What makes them think I look uncomfortable?

Anyway, my response usually goes along the lines of "Which part looks uncomfortable? The bit where I get to lie back or the bit where I get to put my feet up? The only thing uncomfortable about this is the fact that the bikini-clad waitresses can't keep up with the beer and chips!" ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Two wheels, bioengine... what's not bike about it?

Maybe the pretty streamers on the handlebars got him :wink:

[quote=]To the hoon ute driver, a real bike probably is a big throbbing motorbike or Harley between his legs[/quote]

Well he's got to have something there, even if he has to buy it... :P

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 am

Tall Poppies have always been the unfortunate target of insult and abuse, I personally find insults or jibes of motorists easier to ignore than the blatant denial of my existence by fellow 'Cyclists'. :(
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 am

Had a bloke in his sixties pull up next to me the other day. This clown was riding a full carbon race bike, grey beard, full lycra ... and an expression that made me wonder if I had some hideous disease.

Sorry, I just can't understand that sort of attitude.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 am

A few of the roadboys [after a long time of me waving each day] raze their hand as I pass on ether of my recumbent...
but when I'm on the raleigh20 they turn the other way
:lol:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 am

I just read an un-attributed quote over on BROL which sums it up well for me:
someone wrote:You laugh at me because I'm different: I laugh at you because you're all the same ....
When I find out who said it first, it will be my new signiture quote (for a while, anyway.)

Anyway, it doesn't matter what others think in the long run. Do what is best for yourself, because that's really who you are riding for.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 am

>You laugh at me because I'm different: I laugh at you because you're all the same ....<

I like it.... good saying

And Graeme I like your pics...
well not "Pics" but "Art"