Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi all, well first time to the forum and I gotta say it has a nice feel about it. 'Spose I should Introduce myself, Harry's my name and have been cycling (not continuously) for 36 of my 41 (nearly 42) laps around the sun. I happily rode DF's until about 12 months ago when health issues meant I had to look outside the square if I was to continue the addiction to cycling. Here's where I get to say a big thank-you to Ian at Flying Furniture, he patiently fielded all my questions and allayed my irrational fears. After much research I found the Optima Lynxx too irrestible and became the proud owner of one such 'Bent in December '06. The Lynxx came to me in stock trim (above seat steering) which I changed after two months to below seat, thanks to the team at Optima in the Netherlands who had the upgrade kit to me in under two weeks. Have probably only logged a couple of thousand k's throughout '07 but wow what a ride. I'll post a pic of the Lynxx as soon as I figure out how.

cheers

H

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 pm

G'day Harry,

A big welcome to you from another 'bent rider (and customer of Ian's). I'm glad you found your way to the site and I hope you have fun.

You won't be able to post pictures or URLs until you've been here a week and posted ten times (anti-spam measures). However, if you forward your photos to Richard (AKA Europa), he'll post them for you in the interim. Please do that: I want to see your Lynx!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:41 pm

Oh, and where are you? If you update your profile to include a city, we are much more helpful .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome Graeme, nice to be aboard. Toowoomba in Qld is where I call home, we have a very active cycling community here but Recumbents are few and the early morning walkers still give me that sympathetic, "He must be out on day release," look. It'll catch on though.

cheers

H
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:57 am

Good on ya mate
More of us the better :)

Many of us seemed to have started with a bike from Ian...me too
I've a sister in Toowoomba and I've riden that boody hill of yours a few time while visiting. IF I see you riding I'll be the guy on that other strange bike,

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:19 am

Ah yes the Toowoomba Range, it's the unwritten rite of passage for all cyclists in Toowoomba, mind you I've ridden up to the Woolgoolga Lighthouse a couple of times and that was no 'Ride in the park'. Make sure you PM me before your next trip up this way.

cheers

H

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:36 am

G'day Harry,

Welcome to the nuthouse :D

Looking forward to seeing your bike.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 am

Will do next visit.

No you win on the "Hill" stakes

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Harry, welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos too. What were the deciding factors for you in choosing the Lynxx?

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:57 am

I think it's one hard thing buying your first recumbent...
we don't get to ride any till we show up to buy one...
well not most of us...
it is suprising how we end up loveing what we buy...
but still dream of a better one :)

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Many thanks to all you kind folk for the warm welcome. Just to answer Hotdog's question about the factors influencing my decision, I would have to say the Lynxx's good looks that combined with knowledge that a Lynxx carried Alexis Mallafosse(my apologies for the spelling) around the globe on his 60,000km odyssey. My reasoning being that if it stood up to that kind punishment then anything I threw at it would be laughable. Having rear suspension is a big plus. I mentioned earlier that health issues played a major role, too many years wearing a welding helmet caused degeneration in my neck vertabrae and the riding position on DFB's in particular my beloved Kona Dawg aggravated the discomfort. I was very lucky that what I loved the look of also proved to be a very comfortable mount, Ian at FF initially steered me towards a Bachetta but I just couldn't ignore the smooth flowing lines of the Lynxx.