Bike accident at the start of the Freeway bike track

BoardRider

Bike accident at the start of the Freeway bike track

Postby BoardRider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 am

Does anyone know what happened this morning .A ambulance and a fire truck present. Maybe we all need to make a effort to slow down on such a narrow downhill
section. Wouldn't take much to cross the line .
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

tim on skin

Re: Bike accident at the start of the Freeway bike track

Postby tim on skin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 pm

copyed for adelaide cyclists

Reply by Sue G 18 minutes ago

I passed you on my way up to the Kennels and had just left the scene.

2 cyclists clipped and it wasn't a nice sight....apparently. Not sure what occured in the clipping but it was a rider descending, not sure if they clipped another descending rider or someone on the way up. I stopped and spoke to a couple of guys and they said one guy was not looking good, really really not doing well, I believe. When I was there the ambulance was completely covering the bike track and was driving up to an access gate to get back onto the freeway.

No sooner had the other 2 riders and I not far behind them, headed off, the 2 guys started riding one each side of the bike track. Sorry but you have just seen what can happen when 2 clip and yet they took up the entire path.

I got to the Kennels, saw Darren S and had a brief chat about it then decided to head to Glenelg. On my way down I saw soooooo many cyclists doing exactly the same thing, riding 2 abreast, straddling the centre line. It was dangerous and a bit scary.
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, hope everyone was Okay. Not knowing what happened the way some people ride that track,really sometimes cyclists are their own worst enemy.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:32 pm

I rode past it just after it happened, had a near miss on the way up aswell. I seem to be a magnet for w*#kers on their 10K plus bikes who think they own the world. Bloke was on the white line at high speed using the whole lane to make his turns. There was a couple furthur up having a bit of a debrief so I can only assume he had a near miss with them as well. The more I ride the more I think cyclists are their own worst enemy. I know its a bit like driving on the road, there are some really bad apples out there, but like driving where I treat all other drivers as a car trying to kill me so I am are prepared for the accidents, looks like I will be starting to do that with bikes now.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree,
I will be relieved when the colder weather hits it seems like there is less risk taking going on and fewer cyclists. Glad your safe.
Board Rider

Source Unknown

buzz

Postby buzz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 am

It really seems like there are more dangerous pain in the ass punter cyclist this year than any other, they are breeding like rabbits! Even if u have no idea of cycling etiquette, just use commonsense and basic manners, such as ask if it's ok to sit only wheel, rather than just expecting me to know your there and happy to have someone with limited experience or handling ability endangering my wellfair or riding in middle of track for no reason, even better are the cyclist that are wobbling up a hill and into my path! Really if you can't ride safely stay home!! Bit of a rant but I am well and truly over it, we should be looking forward to the rain and winter for safety!!

buzz

Postby buzz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:45 am

I forgot to say I hope everyone involved comes out of it without to much damage, sometimes we end up paying a large price for a small mistake, I hope this isn't the case and maybe some valuable lessons are learnt.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

buzz wrote:It really seems like there are more dangerous pain in the ass punter cyclist this year than any other, they are breeding like rabbits! Even if u have no idea of cycling etiquette, just use commonsense and basic manners, such as ask if it's ok to sit only wheel, rather than just expecting me to know your there and happy to have someone with limited experience or handling ability endangering my wellfair or riding in middle of track for no reason, even better are the cyclist that are wobbling up a hill and into my path! Really if you can't ride safely stay home!! Bit of a rant but I am well and truly over it, we should be looking forward to the rain and winter for safety!!
I can understand the wheel sucking concerns but if I see someone struggling up a hill and riding erratically I offer them encouragement for getting out and having a go. The stronger faster riders shouldn't have to much trouble timing their overtaking move to a wider part of the track.