I went and did it

scotto

I went and did it

Postby scotto » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 am

$300 later from fleabay and there's a sexy looking Taiwanese (but "design in Italy") framed track bike on my trainer. 3T bars and stem, Ritchey wheels, FSA Carbon cranks and all quite new looking. Lidcombe next Friday night here we come. sadly my hipster type fixie will go to fund this one, though I might come out with some extra coin !

toppity

Re: I went and did it

Postby toppity » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 am

scotto wrote:$300 later from fleabay and there's a sexy looking Taiwanese (but "design in Italy") framed track bike on my trainer. 3T bars and stem, Ritchey wheels, FSA Carbon cranks and all quite new looking. Lidcombe next Friday night here we come. sadly my hipster type fixie will go to fund this one, though I might come out with some extra coin !
photo or it hasn't happened. :D

Good luck on Friday...you won't regret it.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:13 pm

scotto wrote:$300 later from fleabay and there's a sexy looking Taiwanese (but "design in Italy") framed track bike on my trainer. 3T bars and stem, Ritchey wheels, FSA Carbon cranks and all quite new looking. Lidcombe next Friday night here we come. sadly my hipster type fixie will go to fund this one, though I might come out with some extra coin !
Should be a big one next Friday. It's the finals of the Ashfield Cycles Series and the A-grade timeblaster jackpot is at $400. They were 4 seconds off the time last night! Get ready for some good action.

What grade are you aiming for?

David

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 am

i'll start at the bottom, or maybe just go to some training nights first. riding fixie along M7 is probably different to bunch riding on the track !

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 am

I'll see you there then. Hopefully I'll be on my new bike as well. Look for the guy in the Livestrong jersey in D grade.

Cheers,
David

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm

i'll look out for you tomorrow night.
my red ploka dots and red bike should stand out !!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 am

Won't be there tomorrow night, the kids have dance class. I'll be there Friday though. You'll know my bike because it's exactly like half the other bikes in the club, a Pro-Lite Trentino. It arrived today! Friday night will be the maiden voyage.

Enjoy yourself tomorrow night. Have a chat to Ian (he'll be with the tools and the work stand) or Stuart and they'll set you up with someone to take you around the track and give you a rundown on the rules.

David

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am

had a pleasant training ride round the track last night, very peaceful with <6 bikes on it. Sorted out some issues with the new bike. The first lap was terrible due to slightly tight headset and a tad too low air pressures. Sorted out and it was a different ride.
Always amazes me how 30minutes on the track is tougher than 2 hours on the road. Bring on Friday night.

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 am

scotto wrote:Always amazes me how 30minutes on the track is tougher than 2 hours on the road. Bring on Friday night.
The track hurts as much as anything. Last Tuesday we did a 73km session on the track, mostly sprint intervals (includes warmup and roll arounds between intervals). I was smashed when I came off.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 pm

You keep doing sessions like that Toppity and you will see some serious improvement, after 3-4 months. 8)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Scotto, sounds like a bargain

You should do a training session at Canterbury (Tempe) Velodrome to get a feel for banking. It's banking is a tad less that Dunc Gray, but because its concrete you can ride at almost any speed without sliding down the track like Dunc Gray. Mon or Wed night from 7pm
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 pm

scotto wrote:had a pleasant training ride round the track last night, very peaceful with <6 bikes on it.... Bring on Friday night.
The Masters team pursuits were on on the weekend and our trackies were probably shagged out. There's normally more there. A few weeks ago it was packed.

Friday night should be great.
mikesbytes wrote:You should do a training session at Canterbury (Tempe) Velodrome to get a feel for banking. It's banking is a tad less that Dunc Gray, but because its concrete you can ride at almost any speed without sliding down the track like Dunc Gray. Mon or Wed night from 7pm
Is Tempe open during the winter for training? I know they have RAW at the DGV but I wouldn't mind giving Tempe a whirl.

David

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Tempe is open every mon and wed all year round, except Christmas day if it falls on a mon or wed. Can't ride if its raining.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 am

mikesbytes wrote:Hi Scotto, sounds like a bargain

You should do a training session at Canterbury (Tempe) Velodrome to get a feel for banking. It's banking is a tad less that Dunc Gray, but because its concrete you can ride at almost any speed without sliding down the track like Dunc Gray. Mon or Wed night from 7pm
sounds like fun. i went to an open day at DGV last year and enjoyed the banking - though it wasnt really in a a bunch at race speed. I hope my perceptions of a concrete track are unfounded though !!!!

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:18 am

[quote="bigfriendlyveganFriday night should be great.
David[/quote]

i'll be there for sure ! just say hi as you lap the polka dot wearing fool

Scott - loving the ironic nature of wearing polka dots on a track bike - or anywhere for that matter !
i guess i'll start in d grade and see what happens.

scotto

I went and did it

Postby scotto » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:30 am

What a fun night. Met Dave and his family, who were gracious enough to explain the races we had in store. Raced d grade, won the point sprint and got third in the wheelrace. Learnt a lot from watching the experienced riders. I am looking forward to more now !

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 am

scotto wrote:What a fun night. Met Dave and his family, who were gracious enough to explain the races we had in store. Raced d grade, won the point sprint and got third in the wheelrace. Learnt a lot from watching the experienced riders. I am looking forward to more now !
well done. Sounds like a good night. How many were there in total racing?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 pm

toppity wrote:
scotto wrote:What a fun night. Met Dave and his family, who were gracious enough to explain the races we had in store. Raced d grade, won the point sprint and got third in the wheelrace. Learnt a lot from watching the experienced riders. I am looking forward to more now !
well done. Sounds like a good night. How many were there in total racing?
Get out of my grade, Scott! :D

Scott did brilliantly well. He is NOT a D grader, more likely a strong C, but needs to work out how to ride in a pace line, swap turns etc. on a track. Then he can go up a grade or two and I can get back to winning again. If he were there last week I would have given him a good run for his money, but I was dead last night and had a shocker (that's the story I'm sticking with). There were originally 7 in D grade, but there were only four real contenders.

Scott, I'll let you know if next week's races are open or just LACC only.

David

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 am

thanks david - i'd be keen to ride next friday and try c grade and put your tips into practice. it was fun, but i do have a lot to learn. :D

did i mention how much fun it was. especially from a spectator point of view. short fast races, where you can see all of the action.