Be happy!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
sogood

Be happy!

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 pm

SMH article on longevity... Don't worry and be happy!
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbei ... 1bej8.html

Yes, cycling gives me happiness and let's keep it that way. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LHT

Re: Be happy!

Postby LHT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 pm

It's funny, I can be having a really crap day but as soon as I hop on my mule and ride, the world and everyone in it becomes a more tolerable place. :)
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Just don't undo the good work by spending too much time on the forums! :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LHT

Postby LHT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Just don't undo the good work by spending too much time on the forums! :D

I pity the fool.... :mrgreen:
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that

Max

Postby Max » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am

For example, 5,000 university students studied for more than 40 years provided evidence that the most pessimistic students tended to die younger.
Meh, they were probably glad it was over and done with. Me, I'm one of those glass half empty people. To be honest, I'm glad this study finds that miseryguts people like me die young. The thought of having a long, miserable life instead of a short, miserable life is a bit... unwelcome. :?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 am

Wow. :shock: That's an attitude that's.... interesting. My thought is that's where you get when you expect life owes you something...

Me, well the signature says it I guess. :lol:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am

I agree a positive attitude is a wonderful thing and can get you anywhere...
Though mine is much like an old favourite electrical appliance - it keeps tripping out and it's impossible to leave on for any length of time.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm

trailgumby wrote:Wow. :shock: That's an attitude that's.... interesting. My thought is that's where you get when you expect life owes you something...

I think you'll find it is more of a chemical balance or a nervous system thing. I'm a glass half empty person too. Have been since a small child. Pessimists usually see themselves as realists. Everyone else calls them pessimists generally. Even being so I've done OK for myself in life so far and don't believe life owes me anything. I ride for quality of life rather than to necessarily live longer.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Nobody wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Wow. :shock: That's an attitude that's.... interesting. My thought is that's where you get when you expect life owes you something...

I think you'll find it is more of a chemical balance or a nervous system thing. I'm a glass half empty person too. Have been since a small child. Pessimists usually see themselves as realists. Everyone else calls them pessimists generally. Even being so I've done OK for myself in life so far and don't believe life owes me anything. I ride for quality of life rather than to necessarily live longer.
Yeah. I agree with that so it must be true :( . What's more, I understand that tests were done and proved that pessimists were most often right, so calling yourself a realist is probably not incorrect. It makes a sort of sense that optimism would be the norm for a sentient thinking creature faced with a mortal life of trials and uncertainty. I don't mean to imply that its all bad, far from it, but there is a lot of badness about. Thank God or whomever for bicycles (amongst other things).
judged, insulted, gone

Semar

Postby Semar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Definitely a glass half fullist. The only down side is the disappointment when things don't turn out well. :?

But even if the the research presented us with the opposite view, isn't it better to live a shorter, but happier life? :lol: Indeed it is the only point in life.
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

baarg

Postby baarg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

This may be anecdotal evidence, but I believe it has some weight given the circumnstances, a high ranking US officer captured and imprisoned during the Vietnam war said the first to die in the prison were the optimists. "They died of a broken heart. They put all their energy into hoping for a future that never materialised in time." I think that more than being optimistic or pesimistic, is about the need to prevail, to survive at the end. I never think things are going to turn out OK, I don't know how things are going to turn out, but I want them to turn out OK so I am determined to make things work somehow and that keeps me alive, even if things don't work out. I believe the glass of water is neither full nor empty, it just is.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

baarg wrote:I believe the glass of water is neither full nor empty, it just is.
You are a realist!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 pm

sogood wrote:
You are a realist!

the glass is the wrong size for the volume of water
when do we stop for coffee???

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Nobody wrote:

I think you'll find it is more of a chemical balance or a nervous system thing.
Or it could be a habit or the people you spend time with. I saw a recent documentary that found that happiness is contagious. Perhaps pessimism/negativity is too. :?
...happiness is influenced not only by the people you know, but by the people they know.

The study showed that happiness spreads through social networks, sort of like a virus, meaning that your happiness could influence the happiness of someone you've never even met.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20081 ... contagious

Happiness is a virus now? I hope they find the cure! :lol:
<removed by request>

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

I couldn't be too negative/pessimistic as I'm still running those skinny 23mm Gators on wide 17 and 19mm rims. Some don't even believe it can be done safely.

I also still ride a MTB even though I've had many crashes doing it. Might have another today...

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 pm

HAHAHAHA LOL .
I'M A GLASS 1/2 EMPTY PERSON TOO . easiest way to tell for a male i think is just to see how you feel when you look at a pretty girl . if you think jeez i'm too ugly to hit that now days . then the glass is definately half empty . hehehe .

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Mmmm..............I don’t really know what I am.....................I know for sure something is bound to go wrong with whatever I’m doing, but then the whole way through I’m extremely certain that in the end, no matter what happens, it will all come out good.

An optimistic pessimist?

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:20 pm

sogood wrote:
You are a realist!
surrealist don't you mean :lol:

Nice topic SoGood.

I love some of the comments "it'll never happen the gov't won't do things to make us happy"

I think that's the biggest barrier to happiness - thinking it depends on someone else!

The topic says it all "BE Happy" don't wait/want for someone else to make you happy.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

MiG

Postby MiG » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:28 pm

BarryTas wrote:the glass is the wrong size for the volume of water
I go by whether the glass is filling or draining. Half full when filling, half empty when draining :p

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:22 am

Glass half empty or half full? Depends on what's in the glass!

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

LHT wrote:It's funny, I can be having a really crap day but as soon as I hop on my mule and ride, the world and everyone in it becomes a more tolerable place. :)
Wow, how do you dind the mule?

I love my bike riding, even the occassional run, but I've never given riding a mule a go!! :P

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:01 am