Racer/Road Bike For Big Fella!

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:22 am

I am a big fella wanting to buy a racer..

I currently own a GIANT XTC2 Mountain Bike with the Schwable Road Tyres. Has the front shock with a lock position. It is still my pride and joy! But im wanting to purchase a race bike.. But not sure what would be a good one for my weight. I am currently 168kgs and 6'3..

Any info of bikes and what to buy would be great! I know its better to get fitted by my lbs but your input would help aswell..

sogood

Re: Racer/Road Bike For Big Fella!

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

Get one that has lifetime frame warranty eg. Cannondale. But you'll need to read the fine print in case your weight is outside their reference. Otherwise a solidly built steel frame with wisely chosen built kit would make better sense for your weight. Even with warranty, a frame failure on the road would not be pretty.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am

Im not so worried about the frame... More of the gear seat, wheels - Was hoping on somebody knowing a specific model that I could look at.. My main concern is if i go into a lbs, they will just try to sell me whats there instead of telling me whats best..

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 am

Your height won't be an issue. 168kg will though.

Racing bikes are made for guys built like jockeys. Not only that, but they're made for said jockey sized guys to use for a season or two before being discarded. They're light and fast, but far from bombproof.

I agree with Sogood's concerns about the frame. I weigh around 100kg and have caused a mid-range cr-mo road frame to crack across both seat stays.
Last edited by rkelsen on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Should i consider beefing up the XTC? changing the handlebars??? etc

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 am

Deanoz wrote:Im not so worried about the frame... More of the gear seat, wheels - Was hoping on somebody knowing a specific model that I could look at.. My main concern is if i go into a lbs, they will just try to sell me whats there instead of telling me whats best..
I would. A frame/steering component failure will see you kiss the tarmac while a snapped spoke will just slow you down. At your weight, unless you have $1M for a custom reinforced CF bike build, you are not going to find a regular retailed racing road bike safe. If you really want a blinging racing road bike, then you'll be wise to seek a quality steel frame (lots of custom builders out there) and match it with specific components for the build.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 am

Been there done that. Not quite as heavy as you though. I was prob around the 130-5kg mark when I purchased my first roadie which was a 2nd hand Avanti Corsa (which may be up for sale very soon). It has 28 spoke Mavic rims and I've hit a lot of potholes and they haven't even though about going out of true.

Doing a lot of research and reading a lot of supposed horror stories, the general consensus on bikes is that any low to mid range frame should be able to handle your weight. Higher price frames start sacrificing the strength big guys need for weight saving. http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay. ... b-91-kg%29 is a good source for info for people in our position. You can dispell a lot of myths about big people and riding on here by people that do it.

The big area of need is in the wheels and I'd doubt it if you could find a stock set of wheels to satisfy your needs on a road bike. You need to look around at some off the shelf wheels like Velocity or Mavic in a higher spoke count, or even a set of customs. TWE is another local company that should be able to help out.

I'm upgrading my bike very soon and have already purchased a set of Velocity wheels to go on it as I'm just not happy with the sets that come on bikes that I'm looking at for everyday use.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 am

Deanoz wrote:Should i consider beefing up the XTC? changing the handlebars??? etc
You can change but it's not a road bike frame, so can't be turned into a "road bike". Further, there'll be issues with transmission and brake component compatibility, and it'll be expensive to make it work. We assume you wanted a real road bike, no?

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:39 am

No i do definitly want a real road bike.. Just considering some options..

If i cant get a frame that will hold the weight, maybe sticking with that I have a modifying it slightly... Just a thought...

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

I think the key is to accept that you'll always have a higher breakage rate than lighter weight riders and then seek for the most durable road bike build. As said, start by searching for a solid steel frame. The benefit of steel is that they can be easily repaired (weld) and also has the best fatigue characteristics, one that's absolutely needed at your weight. Add a set of carefully built high spoke count wheelset and you should be right. It's then luck from there.

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 am

Sounds like a plan! Thanks alot for everybodies input! Really apreciate it!

I will speak with TWE and see my lbs tomorrow and see what options I come up with..

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:13 am

I must say reading this I would advise you to really turn some k's on the mtb and then re-look at this when you're down to 130ish.

At that weight you'll be able to get an off the shelf cf bike and just get some heavy duty wheels. When you've lost some more you can then just fit the factory wheels and you have that blingy road bike.

On mass participation rides I've seen a number of dudes in that weight range on standard bikes.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

Could build up or get someone to build up a surly LHT. Cheeky Transport is not too far away from Deans location, and they sell LHTs complete. Touring bikes are intended to handle weight all the time.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am

zero wrote:Touring bikes are intended to handle weight all the time.
Good idea. As long as that fits OP's idea of a "real road bike".

Deanoz

Postby Deanoz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am

Comedian wrote:I must say reading this I would advise you to really turn some k's on the mtb and then re-look at this when you're down to 130ish.

At that weight you'll be able to get an off the shelf cf bike and just get some heavy duty wheels. When you've lost some more you can then just fit the factory wheels and you have that blingy road bike.

On mass participation rides I've seen a number of dudes in that weight range on standard bikes.
yeah that was my next thought. Run it in hard and loose some more weight.. Doing well so far commuting to work every day.. 20 kms a day.. Riding up Forest Rd from Princess Hwy is a good hard work out for me.. My problem is everywhere i go, i see these fit racers - I sit right behind them.. i can keep up with them.. and im proud of it... however, thats only for 1 minute or so lol then im dead! either way, im lovin it!

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am

why new? refurb an older steelie?

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am

I started bigger than what I am now (around 123kg when I started). I bought a Cannondale CAAD9. Alum' is very robust and the Cannondale range is good value for money. You don't have to go Carbon. My CAAD9 is compatible weight wise with the vast majority of Carbon frames and it is still stiff and strong in sprints.

Steel or Ally would be the materials i would consider in a frame if I was you.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

Try losing a few extra kg and then revisit the idea of a roadie.

Although if you do some searching through the link I gave, you will find plenty of people at your weight and even heavier having no problems on carbon frames. When you look past the hype, very few "catasrophic failures" happen in general riding and they happen to little guys as well. Most are the result of a crash or damage associated with a previous crash that has gone unchecked. If there's a fault in the frame it won't matter how heavy you are. But if you are heavier it will surely happen sooner.

Also try doing longer rides. I've taken up racing this year on road and track. I've been sitting on 130kg all season. My riding has improved heaps but I can't seem to drop the weight (I could be eating better though). I do a 20km race and the rest is short distance track riding. In the last couple of weeks I've joined a group that ride 35km early morning, almost doubling my longest distance, and I've already dropped down to 125kg. I'm trying to get some condition for the winter racing season where the races are around 40km long.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Deanoz wrote:
Comedian wrote:I must say reading this I would advise you to really turn some k's on the mtb and then re-look at this when you're down to 130ish.

yeah that was my next thought. Run it in hard and loose some more weight.. Doing well so far commuting to work every day.. 20 kms a day.. Riding up Forest Rd from Princess Hwy is a good hard work out for me.. My problem is everywhere i go, i see these fit racers - I sit right behind them.. i can keep up with them.. and im proud of it... however, thats only for 1 minute or so lol then im dead! either way, im lovin it!
You are doing great. The fit guys are there to motivate you to keep it up. You'll be one soon enough. :)

schmidty

Postby schmidty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Deanoz wrote:

Mate, firstly, good work on pushing yourself. Pretty soon you will find that 1 minute turns into 2 and then you will be dropping these guys like wet towels.

I started at around 135kg (6 ft 1) 5 years ago. My first bike was a flat bar road bike that lasted about a year before I upgraded to an Oppy Lyon. That got me through until last year when I got my Eddy Merckx.

I think you will always find that for bigger guys, the key is the wheelset. Bigger guys create a lot more lateral flex on a wheel in a normal riding position, more again when getting stuck in.

From personal experience I can say that Mavic wheels are strong, I have destroyed a few wheelsets over the years but never a Mavic set.

I reckon you may be well served with a nice steel frame with a quality beefed wheelset (mavic 32 hole rim, straight pull spokes) that will help you work towards getting the weight down to a point where you can move on to a carbon frame with a lighter/more aero wheelset. As a plus, you can then turn that old steely into a nice wet weather commuter so your new shiny carbon baby doesnt get all manky.

Anyway, thats my 2c worth.

Again, congrats on getting out there man. Nice work. Make sure you let us all know about it the day you drop one of those fit racer guys on your commute.
2010 Eddy Merckx EMX-3
2010 Giant Anthem X3
2008 Oppy Lyon
2004 Cervelo P2K
1978 Peugeot UE-8

DRAD81

Postby DRAD81 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Deanoz wrote: yeah that was my next thought. Run it in hard and loose some more weight.. Doing well so far commuting to work every day.. 20 kms a day.. Riding up Forest Rd from Princess Hwy is a good hard work out for me.. My problem is everywhere i go, i see these fit racers - I sit right behind them.. i can keep up with them.. and im proud of it... however, thats only for 1 minute or so lol then im dead! either way, im lovin it!

I just went from a mountain bike that weighed 18Kg to a road bike that weighs 9kg. Trust me, with the lighter bike you'll be keeping up with them longer. I was looking at a brand new merida for $1500 but ended up with a 2nd hand apollo with full shimano 105 gear for $350. It's a completly different bike to the mountain bike and much easier to ride. If I was you, I'd look at a second hand racer and upgrade the wheels and other parts to heavy duty parts. This way, if you decide to buy a new bike later on you can bring those parts along to the new bike.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 pm

There are always cyclo-cross bikes to consider. The Surly crosscheck, for example, has the same geometry as the Long Haul Trucker except it's shorter in the rear which makes it "racier". You can deck out a cross bike as a racer or a tourer. Something to consider.

David

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 am

Best advice of the lot.Tim

Dean, i understand your frustration.Save up the pennies, and grind away on the bike you have.Smash those steamed veges/lean meat/fruit, and smash the k's.

You are doing great, keep it up mate.Tim

novice

Postby novice » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 am

I started at 146.7 kg on a 29er MTB that had some wheel rebuild to cope with the weight.
I have only just graduated to a road bike 11 months later at 108kg.
My advise if you want a Carbon roadie, is stick with the MTB until you get down to about 110kg. This is the mark that most brands have as a rider weight limit.
There is also wheel weight limits to consider and most are at 100kg, but you can beef this up with good rims and high spoke count.
Keep at it though because believe me, it is worth every drop of sweat to get on a roadie and ride with a bunch.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

toppertee

Postby toppertee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

I was a big unit and the first carbon frame which I use and still use as a training bike is a beone black, which you can pick up from c r c for under a grand. It has a double carbon chamber through the frame, fork and a monster bottom bracket. Solid as a rock.
Wheel wise DT swiss 40mm wall 32 spoke rims.
This bike has taken a beating, I ride up upperbrookfeild rd Brisbane which is more like a goats track, pot holes rocks you name it.