Chain tension - vertical dropouts

Alistair

Re: Chain tension - vertical dropouts

Postby Alistair » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm

boyracer wrote:you look so peaceful when you're asleep....
hmmm. Glad i asked that question now...

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Threw a couple of bits i had lying around at it today. Need a nicer seat, but if this is comfortable it will be staying

Should i get the hub fitted to this wheel, or build another one?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 pm

I reckon bikes look better with same rims front and back, so yeah do it :) I've got an ENO hub for my vert dropout bike but haven't built wheels yet, looking for V rims to suit.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Gordon - got the parcel, and it is being built into a new deep v. Should be good thanks. The guys in the shop were very interested in the hub too. I had to admit that i knew very little about it, but one of them has seen them in action and said they are great

Got the cranks fitted too and they look really good. They were a great buy from a new member on here

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 am

I finished the bike yesterday and rode it to work today... this experiment seems a failure.

The main objective was to make my short ride to work harder and stretch me a bit, but this thing is effortless. I have no idea how, but i never felt like i needed another gear and it got up both hills faster and with less effort than the mtb. It is so smooth and fast on the flat bits too!

I'm pretty excited now, but wonder how long it will be until i go for a bigger chainring. It has 39 14 now so is fairly conservative, but that seems about perfect for the ride i do. Fixed was totally bizarre for the first few minutes but i got the hang of it reasonably well and feel more comfortable after only 6kms.

It just feels so efficient, which i wasn't expecting. I took a photo of it last night too, but forgot my phone today... i'll put one up tonight.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Mon May 10, 2010 10:38 am

Also, should have said that the hub is brilliant. I can't see why anybody would use an old frame for their horizontal dropouts, as this is so simple and effective.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Alistair wrote:Also, should have said that the hub is brilliant. I can't see why anybody would use an old frame for their horizontal dropouts, as this is so simple and effective.

seen the price of a new ENO? That's one reason. Oh, and because old steel frames work exceptionally well for this sort of thing. And because you can build the bike up yourself with very little effort, getting a buzz out of using otherwise redundant parts.

There, that's 3 excellent reasons.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Welcome to fixie world. Glad you like it. If your not careful soon you'll be thinking about skinny jeans, wayfarers and messenger bags. Gears have a place, that place is up a hill.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Alistair wrote:Also, should have said that the hub is brilliant. I can't see why anybody would use an old frame for their horizontal dropouts, as this is so simple and effective.

seen the price of a new ENO? That's one reason. Oh, and because old steel frames work exceptionally well for this sort of thing. And because you can build the bike up yourself with very little effort, getting a buzz out of using otherwise redundant parts.

There, that's 3 excellent reasons.
You are right. This is just such a neat solution to chain tension... i got a bit carried away

This is a really shoddy picture of how it came out, with lights etc fitted. I took the extra long way home tonight and i'm really pleased with it. I can't believe how fast and effortless it is.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 pm

What's wrong with Wayfarers?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 am

Today - everything.

http://unhappyhipsters.com/

The thing that continues to surprise me is how well it does everything. I miss the durability of the mtb, but is easier, much faster and better on the two short climbs on the way to work. I think this ratio (72 inches) is about right for where i'm riding now, but i need to work on the engine a bit now.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Reviving thread:

Doing some shopping to convert the rear wheel. I have found a shimano nexus 8-speed with coaster brakes. Bike mechanic suggests I get a DMR Chain Tensioner Kit from c r c (!) but given people's whining over c r c's track record of late, I'd rather buy from a bricks and mortar store so I can return it if it's the wrong purchase.

Now, I've clicked on some of the links and the surly singleator tensioner doesn't work on coaster brakes. Is that correct? So I guess I have to be really careful. Any other suggestions? Rohloff does a chain tensioner kit :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am

Alistair wrote:
boyracer wrote: I would never run a spacer kit and jockey on a dished freewheel hub...not ideal for bullet proof commuter, especially as your a big bloke.
Another stupid question... how do you know i'm a big guy? You are right as i'm 6'4, but i don't think i have said that anywhere!
Those blue eyes are stunning :shock: :mrgreen:

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm

CommuRider wrote:Reviving thread:

Doing some shopping to convert the rear wheel. I have found a shimano nexus 8-speed with coaster brakes. Bike mechanic suggests I get a DMR Chain Tensioner Kit from c r c (!) but given people's whining over c r c's track record of late, I'd rather buy from a bricks and mortar store so I can return it if it's the wrong purchase.

Now, I've clicked on some of the links and the surly singleator tensioner doesn't work on coaster brakes. Is that correct? So I guess I have to be really careful. Any other suggestions? Rohloff does a chain tensioner kit :-)
I've got a cargobike with an alfine 8 this week - it is really good, but i wouldn't get one with the coaster. Can you fit an eccentric bottom bracket? I can't think of any rear hub solutions for the shimano geared hubs. You can't swap the frame?

This bike is great too. I still use it every day, although fixed wasn't for me so it now has a freewheel, brakes and a wide mtb bar.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Alistair wrote: I've got a cargobike with an alfine 8 this week - it is really good, but i wouldn't get one with the coaster. Can you fit an eccentric bottom bracket? I can't think of any rear hub solutions for the shimano geared hubs. You can't swap the frame?
I'm attached to the frame. I Image my Image

I have an alfine tensioner as back up but am just waiting for the DMR to arrive before I take it to the mechanic.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.