"Hell of the North" this sunday, SBS

philip

"Hell of the North" this sunday, SBS

Postby philip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 am

Passing along this email I got from SBS so others don't miss it:
Don't miss Cycling Central this Sunday for part one of Hell of the North - a landmark sporting documentary which tells the story of Stuart O'Grady's phenomenal victory at the 2007 Paris-Roubaix. Featuring insights from Phil Liggett, Paul Sherwen, Fabian Cancellara and Stuart O'Grady himself, this documentary is a must-see for any cycling fan.

Tune in 5pm Sunday on SBS ONE.
O'Grady's attack was so stealthy even all the cameras missed it though - but this will be awesome.

MichaelB

Re: "Hell of the North" this sunday, SBS

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 am

Have seen it before, but this time it will be taped by the Tivo and watched again :D

honker

Postby honker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 am

good call

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 am

philip wrote:O'Grady's attack was so stealthy even all the cameras missed it though - but this will be awesome.
I have that race on DVD. He seemed to be in the 3rd group on the road for quite a while. The cameras never get him bridgeing to the second group, but when the leaders were caught there he was on the attack straight away :? 8)

Looking forward to hearing him interviewed about it.
FPR Ragamuffin

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm

cheers i have booked the tv
when do we stop for coffee???

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:Have seen it before, but this time it will be taped by the Tivo and watched again :D
Same same except t-hub instead of tivo 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:21 am

Did anyone record the full doco and can burn to dvd? i saw it was coming up, but completely forgot about it on the day. i'm happy to pay for blank dvd and postage.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm

nickj_d wrote:Did anyone record the full doco and can burn to dvd? i saw it was coming up, but completely forgot about it on the day. i'm happy to pay for blank dvd and postage.
SBS are combining both episodes into one and ware playing it the week before Paris Roubaix (either the Tuesday or Wednesday). Check your local guide and you should be sweet.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 pm

thanks for the heads up. i'll keep an eye out for it, and will make sure i don't forget it this time!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

olliewm

Postby olliewm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm

How do you find out what races are going to be broadcast live? I know SBS always shows the TdF and last year they showed Roubaix but I just wondered whether there were any plans to expand the range?

cpical

Postby cpical » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:50 pm

There is actually a Danish film about "L'enfer du Nord", with English voice. It is available on Youtube in its entirety (1h30min or so). Don't remember which year, but has Merckx, Moser, Thevenet, Poulidor, Martens,...

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 pm

olliewm wrote:How do you find out what races are going to be broadcast live? I know SBS always shows the TdF and last year they showed Roubaix but I just wondered whether there were any plans to expand the range?
SBS is really the only place you will get cycliong on free to air (sometimes chanel ten might play the bay crits or alike). Just check their web site or watch cycling central on Sunday where they advertise what is coming up. This year they are playing the Tour of Flanders on 03/04/01 and then Paris Roubaix 10/04/2011.

Also they have a highlights package of the world track championships (can't remeber the times, sorry)

Beside the Tour, they will probably also play some of the Giro and Vuelta as well (I wouldn't be surporised if we get a few live stages of the Giro).

hitch

Postby hitch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 am

bianchi928 wrote:
SBS are combining both episodes into one and ware playing it the week before Paris Roubaix (either the Tuesday or Wednesday). Check your local guide and you should be sweet.
Can anyone confirm that this is being broadcast? I've tried to find it in the SBS schedule but have been unable to. The Paris Roubaix is apparently being broadcast on 10/4 but can't find Hell of the North in the two weeks prior. It isn't on catchup either. Would love to see this so if anyone can point me in the direction of where to find it I'd appreciate it.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:55 am

cpical wrote:There is actually a Danish film about "L'enfer du Nord", with English voice. It is available on Youtube in its entirety (1h30min or so). Don't remember which year, but has Merckx, Moser, Thevenet, Poulidor, Martens,...
just watched that the other day. Good doco.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

hitch wrote:
bianchi928 wrote:
Can anyone confirm that this is being broadcast? I've tried to find it in the SBS schedule but have been unable to. The Paris Roubaix is apparently being broadcast on 10/4 but can't find Hell of the North in the two weeks prior. It isn't on catchup either. Would love to see this so if anyone can point me in the direction of where to find it I'd appreciate it.
SBS - TWO Wednesday 6 April at 8.30pm. In 2007, Stuart O'Grady became the first Australian cyclist to win the Paris-Roubaix, one of the toughest single-day cycling events in the world. This documentary tells the story of his legendary victory and explores the highs and lows of an event so treacherous, it is known as the hell of the north. The program features exclusive interviews and insights from some of the biggest names in international cycling, including Fabian Cancellara, George Hincappie and Henrich Haussler. (From France, in English) (Documentary) (Class tba)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Mmm.. might have to post a request on one of my favourite torrent sites... got less of the hardware than the wherewithal to capture/record it for myself.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:18 am

Repeated for those who missed it: Wed, 6 April, 2011 SBS 2

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am

racing the "hell of the south " in the morning , then watching the "hell of the south" at night - then next day off work
when do we stop for coffee???

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 pm

This weekend's a big one for me too.

Driving to Bathurst Saturday arvo after my bro's wedding. Doing B2B (70 km wimp version) with a mate then get home just in time to watch Cycling Central, a few celebratory ales and then tune into Paris-Roubaix.

"A Sunday in Hell" documentary filmed at 1976 Paris-Roubaix is IMHO the best cycling doco of all time.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 am

Yeah I watched it last night, it was pretty good actually - Stuey is a legend. The old Hell of the North is awesome, one of my favourite cycling films ever as well.

hitch

Postby hitch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:46 pm

My media centre schedule appears not to have saved and I missed this (again) - anyone know where I can view it? ta

D_ess

Postby D_ess » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm

cpical wrote:There is actually a Danish film about "L'enfer du Nord", with English voice. It is available on Youtube in its entirety (1h30min or so). Don't remember which year, but has Merckx, Moser, Thevenet, Poulidor, Martens,...
hmm, can't seem to find it, anyone got a link pls?