Right place at the right time.

cludence

Right place at the right time.

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:57 pm

I was driving home from work today and was about two streets away from my place. As usual I was daydreaming and spotted some bikes out of the corner of my eye. Naturally I had to do a U turn and go back and spy. I nearly died when I realized it was a tandem. It has 16inch wheels and the front folds! (No the rear seat is wired on, not original.)

Needs a bit of work but I have a friend who is going to help me fix this one up so we can take vision impaired and disabled kids out riding on it. I will make a few modifications and change the seats and handlebars to suit the kids better. I am rapt as it is the perfect size for the kids.

I will take pics of its progress. Currently deciding what colour to paint it.
It's going to be fun.

Karen.

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:04 pm

A bike for the young Goodies

Mike

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:58 am

Thats a brilliant find for a brilliant cause. Good work Karen.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Brilliant !!!

Make sure you get them beady things in the front spokes working properly as well.

I like the idea of the third seat - needs a dragster style rear support though as well - could almost be a cox position as in a rowboat !!

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Make sure you get them beady things in the front spokes working properly as well.
Ahh, the spokey dokes. I have some new ones of these. Thinking of also putting on one of those kids handlebar grips that when you turn it it makes the sound of a motorbike. There is also another type that makes some loud siren noise like a police car.

Yes it would be good if the third seat was properly fitted. It is tied on with wire. I am thinking of getting a backrest piece welded to the rack at the rear so it provides more support for the kids.

Taking it to my friends this afternoon so will see what he thinks.

Karen.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Way to go Karen :D Your skill in finding old beauties is astounding.

Dare I suggest footpegs for the passenger?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Shaun,

Foot pegs is a great idea. I might see if I can fit something for those who can't pedal. I have some special strap in pedals made especially for disabled people but there will be some that would be more stable simply have their foot strapped to a peg/platform of some kind.

Thanks!

Karen.