Coolest/best ventilated helmet on the market?

ldrcycles

Coolest/best ventilated helmet on the market?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but anyway, i sweat a LOT and the few helmets i've tried so far (tight a*se lol) have been very hot, leading to a river of sweat running down through my eyes. I am aware of products like Sweatguttr but i reckon that would annoy me. So what are your recommendations for really breezy helmets? Bell Volt looks good although it's pretty expensive, and from looking at the Limar pro 104 ultralight i think it would also be a good pick. Thanks in advance for any help. (and please no debating helmet laws :-) )
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Chef

Re: Coolest/best ventilated helmet on the market?

Postby Chef » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi,

I have a Met Inferno - http://www.this link is broken/met-inferno-ult ... ad-helmet/ which I am very happy with - much cooler than my last lid. I would imagine that white would be the best colour for reflecting heat, and of course, fit is more important than anything if you want comfort.

Cheers,
Phil.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:45 am

Chef wrote:Hi,

I would imagine that white would be the best colour for reflecting heat, and of course, fit is more important than anything if you want comfort.

Cheers,
Phil.
I agree about fit, I tried dozens untill i found a good fit, "Limar 777" white colour, :D
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Giro seemingly subjected its Ionos model to hours of wind tunnel testing to ensure that it's the most ventilated helmet they've ever made. I have read reviews where riders have complained that their heads have felt cold after wearing these helmets!

However, having said that, I think you're on the right track by trying as many helmets as you can. As others have said, fit varies markedly between different brands of helmets, and a good, comfortable fit is of prime importance.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:28 pm

MET seem good, I've had an Iffogruppo (sp?) for years, and I have a Giro Ionos which I don't even remember being on my head, most of the time. Very very comfortable.
I liked the look of Catlike too but my bonce doesn't get on with their shape at all

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Go read the thread on halo headbands http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 3&p=510052 is you do not like sweat in the eyes.

Huge fan of their bandanas

Helmet wise, really enjoying my Lazer Helium, my 2 older helmets (Met and Limar), rarely get used, as much better airflow with the Helium. That said till require my halo bandanas, but all my riding with my Lazer Helium has been 90 minutes plus in over 20C and I sweat a lot.

Was sold on Helium after shown cross section of helmet from LBS after employee product testing involving helmet, head and light post during a crit, without serious injury.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:07 pm

A hair cut improves ventilation significantly. If you have to brush your hair now, you'll feel a big difference with a #4 or less. :!:

Bandanas are good too.

Cheers,

Cameron

stang1

Postby stang1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Weasel wrote:Giro seemingly subjected its Ionos model to hours of wind tunnel testing to ensure that it's the most ventilated helmet they've ever made. I have read reviews where riders have complained that their heads have felt cold after wearing these helmets!

However, having said that, I think you're on the right track by trying as many helmets as you can. As others have said, fit varies markedly between different brands of helmets, and a good, comfortable fit is of prime importance.
+1 for a Giro Ionos. I personally own one and had a Bell Sweep before. The Giro definitely felt a lot cooler and very light ( just an expression ) during my rides although its a tad more tight/head hugging on my 59cm circumference head than my Bell Sweep ( went for a LARGE on the Giro as it was borderline of an M/L ).

What catches my eye now, is a Catlike Vacuum . 8)

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:21 pm

giro atmos

Anakist

Postby Anakist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:49 pm

I had a limar 500. Used to get chilled wearing it.

James
Bikes:
2010 Merida Cyclo Cross 4 Disc
2006 Avanti Escape with slicks and "Upgraditis"
2008 Buell 1125r

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:58 pm

for ventilation and comfort u cant go past the giro ionos... dont like the new rock locks tho... go with a 2010 model.... and they are on special atm :)

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Catlike ( i have both styles) and a cheap cotton cap for sweat.
not cheap though.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

boyracer wrote:Catlike ( i have both styles) and a cheap cotton cap for sweat.
not cheap though.
Catlikes only fit certain shaped heads... If u have a prominent vertex then the Catlikes don't fit... And are quite uncomfy... Certainly try b4 u buy with the catlikes... I got done that way ;-)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Specialized have their unique forehead vent that is on the Propero/S-Works and now Prevail. Can't comment on if it work or not though as the propero is the only good helmet i own.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 am

I find the Giro Atmos fits my requirements of safety/sturdy build, fit, ventilation and lightweight. Its not the newest but it fits the shape of my noggin'.

Once due replacing, i might try the Ionos. I heard a lot of good things on the Ionos.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 am

Richard.L wrote:Specialized have their unique forehead vent that is on the Propero/S-Works and now Prevail. Can't comment on if it work or not though as the propero is the only good helmet i own.
i use the s-works 2ds. great ventilation all over and very light helmet ( kevlar and CF used in construction)

chill

Postby chill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I have the Specialized as well. That vent makes the helmet the best one I've used.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 pm

stang1 wrote:+1 for a Giro Ionos. I personally own one and had a Bell Sweep before. The Giro definitely felt a lot cooler and very light ( just an expression ) during my rides although its a tad more tight/head hugging on my 59cm circumference head than my Bell Sweep ( went for a LARGE on the Giro as it was borderline of an M/L ).
Fashion victim!

Bell and Giro are made by the same company. Giro is for oval shaped heads and bell for round shaped. Apparently you have both - alien.

stang1

Postby stang1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 am

ft_critical wrote:
stang1 wrote:+1 for a Giro Ionos. I personally own one and had a Bell Sweep before. The Giro definitely felt a lot cooler and very light ( just an expression ) during my rides although its a tad more tight/head hugging on my 59cm circumference head than my Bell Sweep ( went for a LARGE on the Giro as it was borderline of an M/L ).
Fashion victim!

Bell and Giro are made by the same company. Giro is for oval shaped heads and bell for round shaped. Apparently you have both - alien.

Indeed. :oops: But cant be helped as I had a full green helmet :wink:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 pm

i just bought a bell sweep, which seems to do the ventilation job well.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:40 pm

FWIW My (now discontinued) Met Stradavarius is an excellent helmet for ventilation.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:40 am

Well after a LOT of looking/trying on helmets, i have bought a Specialized Align, only $69 and it fits like a dream, nothing else came close. I was forced to make a decision as i had a crash that gave my helmet a solid whack at the start of the week, not worth the risk to keep using it. Going for a big ride today so i'll be able to say if the forehead vents and 'channels' across the top do the trick. Interesting to note the super expensive S-Works helmet didn't fit anything like as well.

Sven Nijs

Giro Aeon - well vented & light?

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 pm

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... ders-29777

Wonder what this one will cost when it lands here?
I was going to look at a Specialized Prevail but still no sign of them getting AS approval and they were also going to have the usual "Aussie bike stuff tax" added to the price when compared with other countries.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Well after a few hundred k wearing this helmet i can now say with absolute conviction, the forehead vents do NOTHING. I have more sweat running down my forehead than ever before, i think because the front of the helmet covers more of my forehead than other helmets (in spite of the cool looking vents) and the foam pad on the inside is perfectly placed to absorb all the sweat and then release it in a continuous stream. HOWEVER, it fits my head so perfectly i believe it will do it's job in a crash much better than one which doesn't fit so well, and as winter approaches the oppressive heat may become a positive. As winter draws to a close i will probably get a Giro Ionos for summer.