Parramatta river cycle way

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 am

CommuRider wrote:My friend copped the attitude at Lilies but this is what happens when there is no competition in the vicinity.
Too true.
CommuRider wrote:Haven't tried Doolies yet. Do I have to be a club member or can I just wander in?
You have to be a member for Dooleys, since it's a registered club. If you're from out of area and a member of another club somewhere else, you can get a guest membership. It's $11 for 3 years anyhow and you get access to the other Dooleys clubs such as the one at Lidcombe which is just up the road from Lidcombe velodrome (disclosure: Dooley's sponsors my cycling club, but that's not why I'm recommending them - good coffee, bistro and gluten free cakes for the missus [and a kids play area inside the club]).
CommuRider wrote:Also, will they be opening any cafes on the north bank of the river across the Armory? Where the new development is?
I hope so. At the moment it's just medium density housing and wasteland. I would like to see something like they've done at Meadowbank happen there.

Oh, BTW Newington shopping centre is close to the Armoury and easy to get to. There's good coffee there and a Gloria Jeans, plus some restaurants.

David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
You have to be a member for Dooleys, since it's a registered club. If you're from out of area and a member of another club somewhere else, you can get a guest membership. It's $11 for 3 years anyhow and you get access to the other Dooleys clubs such as the one at Lidcombe which is just up the road from Lidcombe velodrome (disclosure: Dooley's sponsors my cycling club, but that's not why I'm recommending them - good coffee, bistro and gluten free cakes for the missus [and a kids play area inside the club]).
I thought this was the case. I generally avoid clubs because of the pokies. I do know someone with a Dooley's membership so might ask them to go for a ride with us next time. Thanks for the heads up.
hope so. At the moment it's just medium density housing and wasteland. I would like to see something like they've done at Meadowbank happen there.
I have always thought those houses have been built too close to the river. If we get a Qld flooding situation, they are right in the way.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 am

Ok, once I cross the railway/bike bridge from Rhodes to the Meadowbank side of the river, where do I get off the path to join up a cycle path again that heads toward Parramatta, tried finding it yesterday and had to resort to suburban streets until I hit Atkins Rd Ermington and the cycle path in george kendall Reserve. I saw the closed Wharf Rd cycleway bit... when is that open/opening? Can you sneak past the gates?

T.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Ok, once I cross the railway/bike bridge from Rhodes to the Meadowbank side of the river, where do I get off the path to join up a cycle path again that heads toward Parramatta, tried finding it yesterday and had to resort to suburban streets until I hit Atkins Rd Ermington and the cycle path in george kendall Reserve. I saw the closed Wharf Rd cycleway bit... when is that open/opening? Can you sneak past the gates?

T.
@goneriding's map should show you the good bits. You go up a bit from the wharf till you get to South St which runs parallel to the river and go further along that street...keep on cycling...keep on cycling...then you turn left to a dead end road an the bike path to Parramatta should start again.

If you drive on Victoria Rd towards Parramatta, there's a BP service station on the corner - it's at the end of that street where the cycleway begins again. (Clyde St) ie cycle path begins when Clyde St and South St ends. Alternative is Brodie St. Type in Clyde St, Rydalmere on Google Maps.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Haven't cycled there lately but apparently there's time-to-destination signage using an average speed of 15km/h

http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/content/ti ... nage-trial

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 pm

CommuRider wrote:Haven't cycled there lately but apparently there's time-to-destination signage using an average speed of 15km/h

http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/content/ti ... nage-trial

Yep, saw them for the first time last week (iirc). Great idea and there needs to be more of them. They show non cyclists how easy it is to get places - and when they start to ride these routes regularly they'll realise that you can do it much quicker.

David

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Never had a problem at the Armory - food has always been very good, and service reasonable. Dunno if it's different if you just order a coffee - but you've only got to see how popular it is to figure it's got to be doing something right.

Nice to know about other options - like Dooleys and the UWS cafe. Thanks for the info.

Big fan of the new signs. More power to the people responsible :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Body found at Meadowbank. One theory is the suitcase floated down or up the river?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 6019759497

Next to the netball courts. Heavy traffic around that area. Rowing season in full swing.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm

CommuRider wrote:Body found at Meadowbank. One theory is the suitcase floated down or up the river?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 6019759497

Next to the netball courts. Heavy traffic around that area. Rowing season in full swing.
Probably the result of some idiot without a leash for their dog trying to get rid of the cyclist they killed.

I ride through there regularly, and take the kids there to ride on the netball courts. Hopefully the helpful police officers will collect all of the important evidence, such as pieces of glass, wire etc and take it away with them. Maybe we need more suitcases on our commute routes.

David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Just saw the 10 news footage and they closed the bike path for today. It rained so probably few cyclists ventured out. Woman's body, lived locally, all intact. Big luggage. One of the people they interviewed said he saw some lights and heard some noise early in the morning but thought it was a cyclist (!)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:Just saw the 10 news footage and they closed the bike path for today. It rained so probably few cyclists ventured out. Woman's body, lived locally, all intact. Big luggage. One of the people they interviewed said he saw some lights and heard some noise early in the morning but thought it was a cyclist (!)
News to me - rode from Meadowbank to Silverwater Bridge around 5:30 pm-ish and didn't notice anything out of place. Cycleway was certainly open then. Not a lot of cyclists around, but weather was A1 OK !

Pretty awful fate for the victim (RIP). Hope they catch the low-life(s) responsible for it.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 pm

You didn't see reporters hanging about the place? They were still doing live crosses at 6pm. Pretty gruesome find for those who found her. I have thought about opening plastic bags floating down the river but never had the nerve to do so in case it was a body. Someone pointed out this must have been recent because of Clean up Australia last week.

There was the case of another body but nearer Haslams Creek, found by a dog walker. She floated down the river from Canterbury/Cooks River I believe.... *shivers*

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 pm

CommuRider wrote: There was the case of another body but nearer Haslams Creek, found by a dog walker. She floated down the river from Canterbury/Cooks River I believe.... *shivers*
Doubt any body floated from the Cooks River. The Cooks River is a different catchment to Haslams Creek. Body would have to get uphill from somewhere in front of Potts Hill reservoir and get transported over the ridge and a few km's to near Berala Stn where the source of Haslams' Creek is.

Didn't see any reporters etc.,. around - but there was a higher than usual number of walkers that I had to keep an eye on. Maybe the construction zone and body location was a bit away from the cycleway - it's now fully open but still had detours last Friday.
WombatK

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Last seen at Auburn RSL, car found in Belmore. Suspects fled to China. Sounds dodgy.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/body-in- ... -hqqb.html

So you have figured out the source of the Creek? That is pretty impressive. Some SMH journos did a river story not so long ago and they wrote the Parra River source was at Toongabbie. In other places, you would have some landmark that says "This is the source of ... River", where you may have some natural spring bubbling up the surface. The Beeb had a good doco on the Thames shown on the ABC last year and its source was a boggy peat pond in some hilly area.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Well, that was quick. A 19 yo arrested.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/womans-body-p ... 1brsm.html

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:07 pm

CommuRider wrote: So you have figured out the source of the Creek? That is pretty impressive
Well it's my best guess, derived from years of riding through the valleys and hills between Parramatta River and Cooks Rivers and using just one of the many definitions of a river or stream source. Not many springs bubbling up in Sydney - most creeks disappear into canals or buried drainage pipes. And while they seem to flow all year round (ie. perennial), its not easy to tell if this is natural or a deliberate release by Sydney Water for cleaning purposes etc.,.

More impressive is that police arrested someone quickly - before they had a chance to flee overseas. Veru Good work Mr Plods.
WombatK

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:21 pm

So I did a wee ride of this today. Can't believe they have lights (!!!) on the bike path near UWS - WHAT LUXURY.

Saw some really cool things, there was this fisherman dressed in tweed and cap underneath one bridge, reading the history of Parra River where all the ferry commuters were waiting, the restaurant scene (has improved since last i visited). Reminded me a lot of the Cooks river cycleway. I just wished they extended it to Rydalmere path without the hoonish detour of South St. Heaps of hoon drivers using South St today :-(

So if they do extend it, I think this really could be a very worthwhile path like Cooks.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 pm

CommuRider wrote: I just wished they extended it to Rydalmere path without the hoonish detour of South St. Heaps of hoon drivers using South St today :-(

So if they do extend it, I think this really could be a very worthwhile path like Cooks.
What? You didn't see the work they're doing there? It should be done pretty soon, which means that it should open sometime in the next five years. I've been using the half completed path just to show my support for it, though only the mangroves seem to care. I dream of a day when bogans and cyclists can go to and from Parramatta without the need to kill or be killed, when the beginning and the end of my working day can be spent rolling alongside the river.

David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
What? You didn't see the work they're doing there?
Nope, missed it :-) I'll check again next time. And the UWS cafe was closed (late arvo) though saw a couple of students studying (!!!) and I like how their library is all glass windows facing the river. Lucky.
bigfriendlyvegan wrote: It should be done pretty soon, which means that it should open sometime in the next five years. I've been using the half completed path just to show my support for it, though only the mangroves seem to care. I dream of a day when bogans and cyclists can go to and from Parramatta without the need to kill or be killed, when the beginning and the end of my working day can be spent rolling alongside the river.
That's a nice thought bfv. Though I'd also worry about being mugged too :| or serial rapists (ok, ok, I'll stop exaggerating). We need more bike shops along the area. I've realised Blackman's and Bike Barn ought to do some advertising around the place or even relocate on the ferry side. I don't fancy dragging my bike up those sandstone steps near the old bridge just to get to their shops. Bike shop + cafe is what the area needs. Same with Cooks river. Chocolate shop at Earlwood doesn't count as a proper pit stop :-P

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Some useful stuff from Parramatta council.

Map

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/__data/ ... ochure.pdf

http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/really_ ... cycle_ways

Secure bike parking is now available in the Parramatta City Centre in two locations – Erby and Howood Place carparks

Each site has a secure bicycle storage area, lockers for personal items and change rooms which include showers. Access is controlled by member swipe card and the storage areas are monitored by 24 hr CCTV.

Over 40 bike parking spaces are available for those who wish to travel to Parramatta by bicycle.

A membership fee of $20 per month gives members -

* 24 hr access to secure bike parking cage, change rooms and lockers.
* 24 hr surveillance in the bike storage area
* Member only swipe card access to change rooms and bike storage areas.

To join call Secure on 9633 1863 or visit the office in either Erby or Horwood Place car parks.

anonymous_

Postby anonymous_ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 am

That bike parking is a white elephant.

Commuters in Parramatta normally have facilities at their work.

I walk past it most days and am yet to see a bike in there.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Ok Parramatta river cyclists :-)

I had a good long chat with the person dealing with the Parramatta river path :-)

The good news is it's a PARRAMATTA COUNCIL issue and NOT an RTA issue because it's dealing with local streets. Woo-hoo! Oh those small mercies dealing with infrastructure :-)

I have her email address too so if you want to contact her directly, PM me. She said it was good to hear from the 'consumer' so instead of us creating this lengthy thread on the river cycleway, let's give her some feedback. She says she welcomes the feedback on the path.

So this was our convo:

1. I complained about South St and the lack of signage etc etc - she knows this is the pressing issue. I did tell her there's no point in promoting the Parramatta river path if this is the missing link. (also told her how good the Cooks River path was too) The lack of signage at the end of Pike St, leads up to the corner where the FedEx is. It's a busy, heavy industrial area. There are plans to extend the path to where Subiaco creek is. As for the time - which is always the case - she can't give a time period. But I think if more of us raise this issue and awareness since we use this path, the more ammo she can go back to the Council and the better it will be. So bfv is right - it could take years BUT if we raise awareness and be vocal about this with suggestions (even via email or her phone which I can provide via PM), the sooner we can get this bike path done. I've told her it would be nice to have that scenic path that hugs the banks of the river and she knows this. It's the commuter path (South St) or the scenic path (yet to be built).

2. The steep hill that goes up to Thomas St past UWS is being reviewed. As you all know it's spinning or 1st gears for this one and it's a hazard, hit/miss issue. She says there are plans to have a path hugging the banks again but it's to do with trying to acquire land for the bike path through the mixture of industrial and residential as well. This has been 10 years in process and it will probably take another 10 years but we have to be optimistic.

3. More cafes around the river? Not really because along the river it's all industrial/residential use and it's not zoned for commercial use. So for us cafe latte sipping cyclists it's either the Olympic Park end or the Parramatta Wharf end.

3. I also raised the issue about the cycleway basically ends where the sandstone bridge is. She says to get to Bike Barn etc/Victoria Rd go up Sorrell St which is on a steep incline. The bridge is staying where it is. LOL.

She says the Armory/Olympic Park is so well structured because of the Olympic legacy so they have the money, Parramatta Council doesn't have as much money for their bike paths. But we can but try.

Anyway, I felt heartened by the convo with her so I think we need to give her feedback and suggestions. So if you do have any, please post them here or email her directly. I can compile a list of our posts and forward it to her.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Can she follow this up that I logged on the Parracity website a few weeks ago?

The cycleway lights (between Alan st and South St) have been out for over a month now:
Transaction Reference SR-2342
Customer Service Type Maintenance of a Council Landscape
Lodgement Date 24/02/2011
But i agree with your points, I found the pike St, thinghamy for the first time today after commuting it for over a year plus going all the way up the next hill to the roundabout and turning right instead of right at FedEx. Sheesh! Talk about less hilly!

I like the new re-paved area opened today near the Ferry too... When are they linking that at end of the path at the bridge you carry your bike up over to the new path I found today past the post office on the next street over?

LOL, read that back to myself... I sure hope someone can make sense of it... :D :D :D

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Do you mean the one where they have a big a dead end or the one that ends near that pipeline bridge? I thought that was dead/ no entry for now.

I will raise the issue of the lights with her. I will contact her early next week just to give people time here and the weekend to cycle the path and point out little bits of improvement here and there. No surprise they have hired consultants for the path though I think it is to give more backing to the case.

This is part of her email to me:
Thank you for showing interest in the development of the cycleway along the river foreshore to Sydney Olympic Park. Council is committed to improving the route and we do see that it holds great potential to become a major recreational visitor experience. I have attached the link to the brochure we recently produced which will give you an indication of the current route and proposed future pathways

http://www.discoverparramatta.com/event ... ycle_rides

If you would like further information or would like to put forward your comments please feel free to e-mail me.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 pm

The Olympic Park is fantastic, and today I heard that they are in the early planning stages of putting a walkway from Homebush Bay to Rhodes, with the intention of providing access to Rhodes train station. This sounds a bit of a long shot, but the lady at work is holding off selling an apartment until the SOP revamp is complete.

The Armory cafe is great every time I go, and the live music at 1pm on Sundays has surpassed all expectations the family loved both times we went.