Southern Tasmanian Veterans CC....Time for change?

master6

Southern Tasmanian Veterans CC....Time for change?

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm

The following article, prepared by Nigel Cross and Peter Kent, President and Vice President respectively of STVCC, will be of interest to southern cyclists beyond the current club membership, as it might lead to an opportunity for some who currently cannot join the club, to in fact join, if some changes come to pass. Presently, only people who qualify to obtain a Cycling Australia Masters licence can join the club. That means people over 30 years of age. It might be that changes take place to enable all people who can obtain any CA licence to join. Briefly, that means people under age 30 could join the club.

ARTICLE TAKEN FROM STVCC SITE:-

Time for a Change?
A number of riders have approached various committee members recently suggesting that the time is right for all active members to have a real say in the future strategic direction of the club. The following article outlines the core issues which should probably be considered by all members prior to the club Annual General Meeting in May 2011.
The article will no doubt spark some lively debate amongst members and so it should because it is important we make the right changes for all. Ideally, we'd like your feedback on the proposals outlined before the AGM so we get the details right if there is a strong mood for change.
Southern Tasmanian Veterans Cycling Club has a successful history of providing weekly road race events for Masters Category cyclists. However, while many members think it is time for change the current Committee believes that the future of the club remains firmly in providing competitive masters age cycling/racing opportunities. Yet for the club to make this sustainable in the long term, we need more ways for people to share our love of tearing up and down the rural back roads of Hobart in a fast, tight bunch of like-minded friends.
Membership Change Proposal
The club constitution currently limits membership of the club to riders who hold a Cycling Australia (CA) Masters Category Licence. This means riders have to be 30+ years old to be a member and the only reason for membership is really to enter races. The club regularly holds a limited number of races that are open to all race categories under CA's auspice. However competitors under 30 for these open races need to be members of other CA affiliated clubs—or we issue them with a three race day licence—so they have the appropriate insurance cover required for race entry.
Increasing community concern with public liability means that there is a growing demand from cyclists for access to public liability insurance products. Cycling Australia Licences provide cover whilst racing and training in organised club events and CA have recognised this and offer two membership categories that provide cover for riders not engaged in racing: “Cycling for All” and “Sport”. These two membership categories are designed to meet new demand in the cycling community. Cycling Australia is using them to increase its total membership base and widen its relevance to cycling nationally.
Opportunity
An opportunity exists to attract more members to the club through these 'associate' membership categories. If we don't do it then someone else will. Why would we do this? The main reason is to provide people new to cycling with a brand new route towards enjoying racing with us. Increased membership will give us clout in dealing with local government, state government departments and landowners. Concessions with national events and retail stores are possibilities as are coaching clinics, bike maintenance and training nutrition seminars.
Our ability to bring more people to racing memberships will require strategies to be put in place by the club and we will need a long-term plan to conduct activities to cater for these new members. Structured training rides and participation events are just some of the options to be considered. It must be remembered that only 10% (approximately) of cycling today is ‘racing’. Participation in challenges and sportive events is the where the growth is – look at the popularity of 'Round the Bay', the Century and Amy Gillet Rides.
Finally, restricting racing membership of the club to people over the age of 30 is pointless if the aim is to attract more cyclists to club events. In our region we are the only effective provider of racing, meaning many adults can’t participate regularly in Southern Tasmania until they are over 30 years of age. Most importantly for some of our existing members, it means their adult children have nowhere to race locally and the result is the club has no inter-generational membership – strength found in successful clubs like Launceston City.
We're therefore thinking about proposing a motion be put to the AGM that would see Clause 3.1 of the Club Constitution amended to read:
“Any cyclist who holds, or will immediately upon becoming a member of the club hold, a Cycling Australia Membership, and on payment of the annual subscription fixed under this constitution, can become a member of the club.”
There is no intention to change the key purpose of the club in conducting cycling events for people over 30 of age. The roster would continue to have a mix of racing events restricted to rider/membership categories i.e. Masters, Open, Sportives etc. but the net result we're hoping would be more members.
The bottom line is we'd rather see an increased membership base in a dynamic club that caters for all cyclists wishing to race in Hobart through clever rostering than see members leave because their racing needs are not being met.
A copy of the club constitution can be found here: http://stvcc.asn.au/Assets/Forms/Consti ... 202008.pdf
What’s in a name?
Aside from the membership base of the club, some members believe it's also time to reconsider the name of the club, perhaps to make it more relevant to the road cyclists of today.
The use of the term 'Veterans' in the club name is a regular source of confusion amongst people in the cycling community. People variously interpret it to have some association with former defence force personnel or that you have had a career in cycling. Either way it’s not serving to attract people to the club, in fact, some feedback – particularly from women riders indicates the name detracts from what we are and do and they don't want a part of it.
However, it’s important to acknowledge that the club was expressly set up by its founders to provide racing opportunities for older 'veteran' cyclists who at the time, were not catered for by the local open clubs. The club was established under the auspice of the Australian Veteran Cycling Council and met the needs of those riders admirably. We recognise and salute their efforts.
Times have changed. There is not currently a viable open club in Hobart and it is a sign of the times that STVCC is now the dominant provider of competitive road racing in Hobart and now operate under CA's auspice which does not hold with the concept of Veteran. There is also now a changed demographic base to cycling nationally, younger, more affluent individuals are taking up the sport and we feel their energies should be harnessed.
We are therefore seeking feedback from members on a new name for the Club. If you think the name should stay the same then that’s OK as well. However, bear in mind that if the proposed membership changes above go ahead then the name of the club should probably try and reflect this.
Some ideas put to us:
Southern Tasmanian Cycling Club (STCC)
Hobart Cycling Club (HCC)
Hobart Regional Cycling Club (HRCC)

Some slightly faster paced options might be:
Tour de Hobart Cycling Club (TDHCC)
Hobart Peloton Action (HPA)

It’s not immediately necessary to change the name. We can still operate bank accounts under STVCC for example; however, in the long term it will probably need to happen and it’s important to make any new name for the club relevant for the next generation of members.
Feedback Options
Your feedback on these two proposed changes is very important.
Please email your feedback and club name suggestions to: stvcc.asn.au@gmail.com or send it by snail mail to STVCC - PO Box 322 Hobart 7001.
Peter Kent & Nigel Cross

BarryTas

Re: Southern Tasmanian Veterans CC....Time for change?

Postby BarryTas » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 am

i agree with opening up the age for the club and thus a name change. It will be a shame to see the name change as the vets are and institution. but i believe there is a need and a market for open racing in southern Tasmania. the north can sustain an open club and they have a much lower population.

it would be good to see the mix of young energetic legs with the vets strong and wise legs :)

i would also like to see some race/bike skills workshops/training sessions
when do we stop for coffee???

Peter300

Postby Peter300 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:01 pm

BarryTas wrote:
Have you completed the "don't half wheel your training partner" workshop? :)

Getting good advice before your first masters race is a good idea. There are a number of resources available on the web to get a hang of the lingo and then it's just a matter of finding someone to ask before, during and after a race. Having said that you'll generally be told what you need to correct in a race without having to ask. Most people just want you to be safe which generally goes hand in hand with smooth rolling turns, being predictable and maintaining oxygen to your brain. The best part about it is you'll develop superior bike handling skills very quickly.

PK

Great idea posting the discussion paper Master60.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:08 am

Peter300 wrote:
BarryTas wrote:
Have you completed the "don't half wheel your training partner" workshop? :)

Getting good advice before your first masters race is a good idea. There are a number of resources available on the web to get a hang of the lingo and then it's just a matter of finding someone to ask before, during and after a race. Having said that you'll generally be told what you need to correct in a race without having to ask. Most people just want you to be safe which generally goes hand in hand with smooth rolling turns, being predictable and maintaining oxygen to your brain. The best part about it is you'll develop superior bike handling skills very quickly.

PK

Great idea posting the discussion paper Master60.

i got one on the Wednesday STVCC group ride
when do we stop for coffee???

Doc Savage

Postby Doc Savage » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 pm

BarryTas wrote: It will be a shame to see the name change as the vets are and institution.
Along with the Hobart Wheelers, who as a road club are over 100 years old but now primarily organise MTB events.

Things change. The STVCC members who feel obligated to welcome all-ages racing should be commended.

Coupled with the proposed crit course at Tolosa, this will really help the sport in the South.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I vote YES!

Having an open club will mean we can follow the progress of the young riders coming up, the club could be the start of a career path. Wouldn't it be great to have that club association with young pro's and those racing on national teams, like they do up north. I dont have any real expertise to aid young road racers but have plenty of encouragement to offer.

Thats not to say I think there is anything wrong with the current Vets club. If there were a well run open club down here already then I'd say dont change STVCC at all. But there isn't so I think its a good idea that the club adapts.

cheers
Daniel

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am

I think this is a great idea, we have to encourage new younger members into cycling. Look at the North of the state and all the juniors racing. Thats something Hobart hasnt had since the days of the Glenorchy City Cycling Club and others. I agree with Baldy in that the STVCC is well run, but we do need to encourage younger riders to race, all the way from U15, U17, etc a designated career path that can be followed. Then we can look at establishing a junior development squad for southern tasmania. There is a very direct flow on effect by having the STVCC change the constitution so that younger members can join. Wouldn't it be great to have 50-70 riders from U17 all the way through to Masters turning up every Sunday!

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 am

It would be interesting to hear the views of Michael Nunn on this matter.
Mike, a highly respected member of the Vets club, was one of the original founders about 30 years ago. I understand that the club was formed because of some pretty compelling reasons, and it would be interesting to know whether those reasons still hold . I dont know the answer to that, however I do believe that history does have some important lessons at times. Times change of course.
Mike is recovering from a broken pelvis, having been hit in the rear by a car while cycling; the good news is that he is now back on his feet, and looking at some serious bike repairs or replacement.
I look forward to a Richmond Wednesday ride with him soon, and of course his thoughts on the "Time for change" discussion.

Team Tasvend

Postby Team Tasvend » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 pm

I agree and am looking forward to the upcoming meeting to discuss the possible change.

I along with some other interested parties are starting a junior development team in Tasmania. Predominantly southern based. more info will be updated via our Facebook Page 'Team Tasvend/Tas style"

As an exisiting member of STVCC, and having young enthusiastic potential cyclists in my own family, I would welcome any growth to this existing club. It would be great to see one very large and successful cycling club in the South.

Obviously this would encourage numbers, and who better than the young ones to learn some race craft from the more experienced Vet's.
I like the name HCC (Hobart Cycling Club) ists simple and says what it is.