Fashionable Cycling Wear

CommuRider

Fashionable Cycling Wear

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 pm

A thread for posting fashionable cycling wear with women's needs in mind because in our image-conscious society, the fairer sex gets constanly bombarded with images of what the ideal woman needs to look like from pre-pubescent Cleo to mid-teen Vogue to Harper's Bazaar...so sometimes looking good makes us feel good. And if I look good on the bike then that makes me feel good :-) (oh vanitas, vanitas, vanitas).

As a commuter, I sometimes get lazy and run late. So I prefer that it took me less time to change in and out of my cycling gear and into the work clothes. So, next item on the agenda is finding a suitable rain cape or a nice outer jacket for the wet. I have the cycling jackets and thin waterproof trousers already but thought this was a stylish alternative - a cross between a trench coat and using the innovative lightweight cycling materials currently available:

http://www.bobbinbicycles.co.uk/epages/ ... CLOT03-001 GBP82P. I wish it came in red.

The problem with overseas sites is of course I can't try them and see if it fits!!!!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

CommuRider

Re: Fashionable Cycling Wear

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Ooh and another :-)

Water off a Duck's Back

http://www.wateroffaducksback.co.uk/sho ... hop_param=

Hidden reflective panels.

In white or black

And here I was thinking of having to get a Burberry. GBP130 (definitely cheaper than a Burberry). Sending an email to ask about its weight....

cinnyis

Fashionable Cycling Wear

Postby cinnyis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 pm

That second one is stunning! Not sure about the heels while riding a bike though :-P
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 pm

:D

Actually riding with heels is not as uncomfortable as walking in them because the calf muscles aren't as stretched. If you look at photos of women with heels riding bikes, there's not as much pressure on the arch. Admittedly I don't wear those high 8 inch heels but I think the same principle applies. Of course cycling shoes are infinitely more safer and comfy.

Emailed Antonia of the second mac - she does deliver but didn't tell me the weight. Definitely need to justify this next purchase :oops: Ok...next pay day....still waiting on the other set of panniers :lol:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:56 am

C & P from another thread

Icebreaker's range of lightweight merino dresses

The red dress isn't all that red

I was thinking burgundy but it's just plain run of the mill red. I think it would work if it were deeper red.

This is their new Roma dress which I think is nice with the V cut at the front

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

You'd cycling in THAT???
Lisa

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I would if I did have them. They stretch and the dresses I've cycled don't stretch as well. I've done a velvet shirt and silk skirt with a slit on one side on the bike which works but the pedestrians I flash get disturbed with the show of thigh. Try going to the theatre after work on your bike and you would know what I mean.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:26 pm

CommuRider wrote:I would if I did have them. They stretch and the dresses I've cycled don't stretch as well. I've done a velvet shirt and silk skirt with a slit on one side on the bike which works but the pedestrians I flash get disturbed with the show of thigh. Try going to the theatre after work on your bike and you would know what I mean.
Living in Qld, I'd rather wear cycling gear on the bike as it's too humid to wear work gear unless you only have to ride for less than 2ks on the flat!
If I was going to the theatre following work I wouldn't be riding there :wink:

Saying that I don't mind the bottom number...looks quite comfortable!
Lisa

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Definitely only for flat paths - so I follow the curve of the harbour and definitely not the hilly bits.

I think you could get away with a short-sleeved silk shirt in QLD or even a sleeveless dress? And I always ride very, very slowly to night time functions because of all the vanity issues (sweat! make up!). I've found Aldi's cycling boyshorts a good combo with the dress. Having panniers also allows me to do a mini-transformation - remove the arm sleeves, gloves etc. And the good thing is the cloakroom (at the Sydney Theatre Company anyway) didn't bat an eyelid when I gave them my panniers :-)

I would probably only wear a dress that reaches past the knees because anything longer I'd worry about the hem touching the chain as I don't have a chain guard yet.

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Cyclestyle in Melbourne has some things; not just clothes. Some of the foreign (i.e. American or European) bicycle wear manufacturers have some nice things. e.g. Showers Pass.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Nope, I need to shower after any ride especially during the summer!

I need fashionable cycling kit :wink:
Lisa

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 pm

No, no, no we can't give up!!! That's the whole point of this thread!

How about strapless?

However, I wouldn't want it that long as the above photo. I wouldn't want the bunch up of the fabric in her rear area. Say a stretchy but not a clingy fabric ie breathable. The dress ends just above the knee or mid thigh. Bottom will show with knicks underneath.

Alternative is wearing a bikini but not much for comfort in the saddle area

with a thin, lightweight non-creasing dress in the backpack to wear over the bikini once cyclist arrives at said function. Or sarong. Hmmmm....sarong....

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Strapless...my girls need a bit more support :shock:
Lisa

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Plenty of invisible bra straps available

or this one...better support but sweatier

I'm not saying you wear the strapless all the time! Just when the occasion warrants it. 8)