2nd hand road bike for uni projects???

zawk

2nd hand road bike for uni projects???

Postby zawk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:13 pm

hey all

We're a small group of uni students doing a road bike project. Basically we're trying to replicate the internal motor and power source "supposedly" used by someone in some races from some time ago and to see how much can be obtained from this (based on a uni budget of course). Just like to ask if anyone got tips/advice or any place on where to obtain a cheap 2nd road bike so we can test it out on.

to mods:
I'm not so sure about posting such things like this (first timer) so hope theres no posting rules broken.

cheers

dirty_harry

Re: 2nd hand road bike for uni projects???

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

just try cashies and garage sales and the like or possibly the market place on here. out of curiosity what uni and what course are you doing that intails this sort of thing (mechatronic/ mechanical / electric engineering????)
cheers
harry
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

Wee Jock

Postby Wee Jock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:51 am

If you can get by with a steel roadbike, rubbish tip shops are a good source of mostly crap (but you might get lucky) for essentially the price of scrap metal. You may find it harder to get hold of a carbon fibre bike second hand on the cheap, but that would be more realistic in terms of the equipment used in this Cancellara thing (I assume that's what you're looking at?).

Good luck with it, come back and let us know how it goes.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

Keep an eye out for the suburbs that have Hard Ruibbish Collection, and you may score several freebies.

Cash converters would be a rip-off, but I'd try the dump places as a source for reasonable price

zawk

Postby zawk » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

dirty_harry wrote:just try cashies and garage sales and the like or possibly the market place on here. out of curiosity what uni and what course are you doing that intails this sort of thing (mechatronic/ mechanical / electric engineering????)
cheers
harry
Its a final year mech eng project from uni adl. We only have around 600$ so we would like to avoid purchasing and focus the budget on building the device. Instead of an burst of speed we're looking slight power increase of a longer duration.
Wee Jock wrote: You may find it harder to get hold of a carbon fibre bike second hand on the cheap, but that would be more realistic in terms of the equipment used in this Cancellara thing (I assume that's what you're looking at?).
Yeah the aim of the project is to stay true to the thing that happened so weve been around some bike shops asking for sponsorship for them to lend a road bike to add the device and and test it out. The general reply was no but thats understandable, I think we would have more luck if bike exchange wasn't so popular so some stores would have 2nd bikes. So the device is will be all internal but probly with a RC switch so theres no funny finger movement when using the device.

At the moment we are probly looking at bike exchange or some cashies store. Steel bikes would be last resort for us.
We are also looking for test riders so anyone who reckons they can sustain about 500W is welcome to test it out