Food/Health Journal + Cycling Journal

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
MDL

Postby MDL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am

Hey guys,

Going to start a log of what I eat, I have started back at work after 5 weeks off and I'm starting to snack. I will update it later today but if I don't so it I will snack today

Just a little bit about myself -

My names Matthew, I'm 6'3', and i'm currently around 84.5kg, at the start of january i weighted 94kg's. Quick past history of the 15 years i have always played sport. I'm 1998 i had a major car accident and nearly died. Broken my femur and arms, and since then i have been about 90-100kg mark (more over the last 8 years). I tore my ACL about 4 years ago playing Basketball, and i have been playing netball and BBall for the last 3-4 years twice a week.

This year i brought a road bike (have a MTB, ridden to work and offroad 1/2 times a week for the last year) and all the sport i'm doing is cycling, i am giving my knees and body a break from the contact of Basketball, Due to the floods in Toowoomba i have been on holidays since January, i have been riding a min of 3-4 times a week since then.

When i got my bike i change my diet and have taken out all the bad things, take away, softdrink and Ice coffeé's ( was having a 750ml per day at work). If you need to know anything else let me know.

Morning ride - 1 hour

Breaky - protein shake, berries and quick oats in a cup.
M Snack - some almonds
Lunch - tuna can on 2 crackers
Arvo snack - almonds
Dinner - chicken veg and egg noodle stir fry. The problem after this I felt like I had to snack. Which is were the problem lies.

MDL
EDIT - UPDATED MY DETAILS 17/3/2011
Last edited by MDL on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sogood

Re: Food/Health Journal + Cycling Journal

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am

Do we need this type of thread in this subforum?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MDL

Postby MDL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Was just looking for input on what I'm eating and how much I'm cycling.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:22 pm

MDL wrote:Was just looking for input on what I'm eating and how much I'm cycling.
What kind of input? Didn't see that being sought from your first post. I read it as being just a one way log.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Utedog

Postby Utedog » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

sogood wrote:Do we need this type of thread in this subforum?
I dont mind.

“ How can I keep both the BEER gods and the HEALTH gods happy at the same time???”

Matt72

Postby Matt72 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 pm

MDL do you have a smart phone?
They have some pretty good app's for inputting your food diary and exercise diary.

MDL

Postby MDL » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah have iPhone.

Trying a high protein diet. Not to sure weather I'm getting enough or weather I'm getting enough energy through the day.

Today 2 hour hill ride
Breaky- protein shake, berries, quick oats. No fat milk
M snack boost juice chic sports. This seemed to work well I had alot of energy at work.
Lunch - wife brought a ham sabway foot long
Arvo snack - home made muffin. Was meant to be for a endeo ride
Dinner - chicken/veg/egg noodle stir fry.

Legs seem to handle the ride well this morning. My weight is 84.4kgs has been this week, cant seem to get it down. I think my snackin last night hurt a bit.

MDL

MDL

Postby MDL » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 pm

I take what my boss at work says with a grain of salt. He said that almonds at high in bad fats. But I have heard different from other people.

Also need to try and find different high protein snack options.

MDL

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 pm

MDL wrote:I take what my boss at work says with a grain of salt. He said that almonds at high in bad fats. But I have heard different from other people.

Also need to try and find different high protein snack options.

MDL
I have copped flack for eating almonds too. I only snack on a small amount though, which is 10 or less once in the afternoon. Calories and bad fats blah, blah. I a stopped eating a 400 to 500 calorie muffin to snack on almonds instead. Remind me again how packed full of calories and bad fats 10 almonds are compared to a muffin?

Anyway, you said you felt the need to snack after all that food but you didn't say what you snacked on! :wink:

I used to be an after dinner snacker too. But I rarely ate because I was hungry. I ate from boredom, habit, thirst (yes) or just because I liked the flavour of the food. If I did feel hungry it was because I had eaten sugary food earlier. I found that drinking a glass of water often took my urge to eat away. You need to be realistic with yourself about what you are eating and why. There are some theories about leptin balance and fat set point that say if you lose weight you will feel hungry until you re-gain it. However, in my experience the hunger is only temporary and if you ride it out it goes away. That is also something to keep in mind.

Now I eat dinner, go for a walk and eat watermelon, rock-melon or grated apple with greek yogurt and crumble topping.

Are you eating probiotics like unsweetened yogurt. I have some every day and it seems to help with hunger.

If you are doing everything right, not cheating and still not losing weight, it might work to mix up your macro-nutrient intake (ratio of protein, carbs and fats). Some research suggests that perhaps changing things around can help weight loss to resume after a plateau. They took people on low fat and switched them to low carb and switched the low carbers to low fat which temporarily resumed their weight loss. It could be worth a try if you really do get stuck.

Some things to try then:
if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water
stop eating for the sake of it - go for a walk instead
if you get stuck, change things around

Good luck!
<removed by request>

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Today -

No ride due to me forgetting to charge my lights up last night and i start work at 7am so it was a no go today. Going to go out for 2 hours again in the morning. Did hills on wednesday, may try for a longer ride tomorrow.

Br - 3 egg white/1 yoke, peice of turkey, and light cheese omelette.
Morn Snack - Natural Youget and Berries
Lunch - Homemade tossed salad
Arvo snack -Rice Cracker, 8 Grapes, and a engery bar slice (homemade and 1.5cm x1.5cm)
Dinner is going to be a quiche and salad

It's the arvo at the moment and fill quite full after my snack. The omelette this morning kepted me full.

As for the snack question. it was some cheap homebrand yogout that i was feeding my son, and a glass of softdrink. You did meantion probibly why i was easting it, it tasted good! I think i'm missing some of the sweet stuff. My weight lose is starting to stop, which i don't mind. My cheap Aldi scales says i'm at 20% body fat, but i don't think it's right. I have also fill out my first post with more over all details about myself and a bit of history.

Anyone know of a app that i can put the details (of what i eat) in on phone and computer? so it will sync from both?
MDL

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm

MDL wrote:As for the snack question. it was some cheap homebrand yogout that i was feeding my son, and a glass of softdrink.
It's is possible that this snack made you hungry later in the day. I used to binge on sugar all day... mid morning, lunch, afternoon, after work, after dinner. I felt hungry all the time. I stopped eating muffins, cakes and desserts and stopped drinking soft drink and fruit juice. I still eat a very small amount of chocolate and a few biscuits a day. If I want a dessert then I grate apple, add blueberries (if I have them) and top with a bit of low sugar home made crumble topping or with unsweetened Greek yogurt and crumble topping. Something new I tried the other day was unsweetened tinned apple with Greek yogurt and crumble topping which I really enjoyed. In fact, I enjoyed it more than "real" apple crumble. What I have noticed is that a) I am not hungry all the time; b) I eat less at meals because I don't feel so hungry; and c) I don't "crave" sugar.

I still eat all day only now I snack on fruit and nuts and eat low or no sugar desserts (note, not with artificial sweeteners - I don't touch those). I much prefer not being hungry all day and having no sugar "cravings" all day is wonderful!

It might be worth cutting right back on sugar (and white flour too) to see if it makes any difference to your hunger levels.
<removed by request>

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 pm

I have cut sugar right out. Gone from having a Carmel latte with 3 sugar to a skinny white. After dinner tonight, quiche and salad. It's 1.5 hours later and I still feel bloated/full. Can't remember weather I had anything for arvo tea.

The yogurt I'm having is all natural un sweetened. Doesn't taste the best. But no sugar.

MDL

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 pm

For a log try myfitnesspal app. I use it to keep track.

I have found that a low fat/no sugar dairy serves to keep hunger pains at bay. The forme or nestle diet range of yogurts is what I like (i'm not to bothered about the artificial sweetner worries)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah just trying to keep the carbs down too. I'll have to look at something else that's easy to take to work

MDL

Matt72

Postby Matt72 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Redbull wrote:For a log try myfitnesspal app. I use it to keep track.

I have found that a low fat/no sugar dairy serves to keep hunger pains at bay. The forme or nestle diet range of yogurts is what I like (i'm not to bothered about the artificial sweetner worries)
Forme is 17% sugar. So if a tub takes you 20 spoonfuls over 3 of those is all sugar.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:30 pm

MDL wrote:Gone from having a Carmel latte with 3 sugar
:shock: I don't know how you can drink that, one sugar in a cup of instant coffee tastes too sweet for me :|

as for almonds being bad for you, they're fine. Good protein content, and the amount of sat. fat is pretty small. High calories, but you need calories to live :)

MDL

Postby MDL » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Yeah going well this week with help from you guys.

Morning ride - 1 hour at 28kphs - happy as Larry as it was a fast ride for me. First time to do the town loop at 28+ kph.
Breaky - protein shake as above.
Mid m - bunch of grapes
Lunch - chicken breast and salad
Arvo t- 2 rice crackers and 6 almonds.
Dinner - quiche and salad again.

Do u think I have had enough protein? Or have a shake when I'm near bed? 2 ride of 2 hours plus over the weekend.

Feeling full and not hungery. Just had 2 grapes as its tome to get a bottle for my son and was thinking I needed something. I didn't but at least it wasn't to bad. Just weighted myself as we went for a shower and I'm down to 84.3kgs so I'm not doin to bad.

Should be a ok road ride tomorrow and a hard MTV on Sunday.

See how I go over the weekend. Wife is working so I will try to get the fish out of the freezer and have that for dinner.
MDL