Diary of a Noob

ozzi supercub

Diary of a Noob

Postby ozzi supercub » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Hello everyone.
As I type this I am really tired but pumped from having completed my first 45km ride. I'll back track a little though.
About 2 months ago I decided to put the car away and ride to work. I'm lucky because its a straight shot up Linear Park from home to work. Work is on the city fringe. Once I felt I'd improved my fitness a little, and I stress a little, I decided that on my commute home I would just keep going down to the beach then turn around and head home. All up a nice solid 40 minute ride. Well the extra weight I have been carrying for years is melting away, I feel fantastic and have found a new love, cycling. I feel like every minute not riding is a minute wasted.
Anyway, I headed out this afternoon for a ride and made it to West Lakes and thought, hey I feel great lets see where I end up. Once I spotted that tower thing at Outer Harbour I was never going to turn back. I did definitely start to feel it on the return leg but I think that may have more to do with my tired old bike rather than me. I have an Avanti Cadent on layby and reckon that once I get it my cycling will take a leap forward. I plan on slowly building from here and going further and further and my goal is to complete the Coast to Coast 2012.
For anyone contemplating cycling as a hobby/sport then my advice to you is do it. I never would have dreamed I could ride 45kms 3 months ago. My brother has threatened to disown me if I buy any lycra but I see no alternative if I want to get serious. :lol: Sorry John. Its been nice knowing you. :wink:
Safe riding to everyone and see you out on the roads.
Ozzi
Any minute not spent on my bike is a minute wasted.

Comedian

Diary of a Noob

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 pm

That is super great! Go with it mate!

Next you will be going for the 100k run!

Stera

Re: Diary of a Noob

Postby Stera » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:09 am

Nice work Ozzi!

I can relate as I completed my frst 50km ride as part of a bicycle SA ride. If you havent been on the site, have a look - http://www.bikesa.asn.au/ Its very helpful and had a program of all the rides as well as events throughout the year.

As for the lycra - Also in a similar boat! I was hesitant at first, but a friend that rides said "Rob, be professional"!! The beauty if lycra is its designed for riding (funnily enough), so you should find it breathes better and should be a comfy ride on your saddle. It also has storage in the jersey.

I found ebay was a great site for bargains, but different brands are different sizes (I found European gear to be smaller in equivilent sizes), so head to a bike store, try a few things on and see how you go maybe to start off! There is plenty to learn!

Have fun!
2011 Merida RaceLite... First Road bike is so far alot of fun!

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks guys. I'm surprised I've pulled up today without any problems. I've since done some reading on nutrition and will be carrying some form of food, probably a banana or something to help me along. Weather permitting I will be doing it again next weekend. After seeing the changes in me the wife wants in and is going to pick up an Avanti hybrid style bike which are on sale at my LBS for nearly half price. I've been at her for ages seeing as we live right on Linear park. Not sure how long before I can convince her to ride along the coast though.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:52 pm

If you are hesitant about buying 'lycra' shorts, you can get mountain bike/cargo shorts with a chamois built into them.

Once you have a few more rides, you should look at the group rides that are offered by Bike SA(they are free)
Then you are ready to tackle the hills (Norton Summit and link it with the old freeway/Mt Lofty, Veloway - McLaren Vale,

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 pm

LOL. Not hesitant about buying 'lycra' now that it has been explained to me why its worn. Just a bit of humour between my brother and I.

My aim now is to get my fitness at a level where I would feel confident tackling the hills.
What do most people do? Do they drive and park closer to the hills then ride or just ride all the way there? Its quite a long ride from my place to even get to the hills. Just wondering the best way to tackle it would be when the time comes.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Ozzi, I live in Flagstaff, so hills are right on the doorstep. I ride to the airport daily, so there's always a hill on the way home. I prefer to ride out the back of Clarendon than down the hill.

In my opinion there's a couple of ways you flat lands folk can get into the hills. There's the go hard on the flat, doing any kind of riding will improve your fitness school of thought.

And the spend time in the hills, because there's no better way to learn to ride them than the real thing.

I know a couple of guys that live on the the flat and seriously, they don't climb so well.

You could do worse than driving to the bottom of Gorge road. I don't rate the ride up to Cudlee Creek that severe and at any time you could U turn and coast most of the way down, with very little effort. DO this early in the morning though to avoid the traffic.

There are other hills out from the city but I am not so familiar with them apart from Windy point and the Freeway bike track up to Crafers. Both of which would not be great for a first time out IMO.

You should definitely be taking some form of nutrition with you. bananas are good and a couple of emergency power gels. I always ride with Gatorade or something in my bottles, you can get some from the supermarket in powder form.

If you intend to do the C2C next year, you should look at riding the whole route, do it over a couple of weekends. Riding the first half and then the second half. Just so you can see what you are letting yourself in for. Even a car recce would be a minimum.

All the best for the next 11 Months!

Gavin

Chriss

Postby Chriss » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Don't be afraid of the hills! They're just like riding on the flat, only at a different angle :D

Norton Summit road is a good one, a nice steady climb, and I think the Freeway bike track is also a good option, as it is free from any traffic. You can always stop for a break if you need to. And if you can't make it all the way first time, that's fine, I've got friends that have taken a few tries to build up to going all the way up. Just take it easy, don't try to keep up with others, and yes, make sure you've got something to eat for longer rides. The other option, not sure if it's any closer for you, is to head down Marion Rd and take the Veloway - also traffic free once you get on to it.

You can drive to the hills, although I would suggest don't drive all the way, give yourself some time to warm up before the hills. Or you can build the fitness til you're able to ride there as well. You could always try just riding across to the bottom of the hills, to see how far it is. If you are down by the beach, riding along the shore with a headwind is another way of making yourself work harder, like riding up a hill.

But whatever you do, have fun, and just keep doing a little bit more and you'll get there :)

matth

Postby matth » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:22 am

Well done... good to see the bug has bitten :-)

I'd suggest looking in your local area for a group ride as it provides great motivation to get out and gives you the opportunity to get out with different folk, make friends and ride routes you would not otherwise think of.

What area are you in... there may be others here who can recommend a group if you are interested.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:48 am

Saturday morning Tailwind rides do the Veloway and hills often. You can park outside the shop and drive home afterwards.

Gavin

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 am

Impressive, welcome to the natural endorphins.
Please post picture of you in Lycra
:wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Stera

Postby Stera » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:53 pm

There are hills all over!

To start with some smaller ones with less traffic, get onto roads like the top of Kensington, etc... Then there is a REALLY nice lookout to reward your hard work... It is just that tho.... hard work!!

Highbury, Dernancourt and St. Agnes are all full of hills along back streets, which I would work on... Awoonga and Lower North East roads spring to mind.
My number one tip... DONT GIVE UP... When your legs shake and you are out of breath... Push through the pain... Its worth it!
(Dont go to the extreme that you cant walk for the next five days, but push your limits each time you venture out)!

I wouldnt rush out to do the Veloway (Expressway) as in my opinion there are FAR better hills roads that dont vibrate you to the bone!
2011 Merida RaceLite... First Road bike is so far alot of fun!

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Apple wrote:Impressive, welcome to the natural endorphins.
Please post picture of you in Lycra
:wink:
Umm...be careful what you wish for, you may just get it LOL

Is it true your body gets kind of addicted to the endorphins released when you exercise?
I find myself a little grumpy if i dont get a chance to get on the bike even if its only 1/2 an hour.

Definately have to put more $$$ towards the layby now. I am finding the old hybrid pretty uncomfortable on long rides. The seat alone looks like and odd shape. Its almost U shaped and I have to tilt it up at the front so the back becomes almost flat. It feels better the flatter the rear of the seat is where my bones rest.

I am in Flinders Park so coastal rides are very accessible for me at the moment.

Matth- the bug has certainly bitten. Sorry I didn't do it ages ago.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Ozzi, I live at Marion and ride to Norton Summit (about 25km - 15km to city) You should be fine(probably 15km for you) :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Don't worry about hills... they are part of bike riding. Each time you climb one it's made the next time easier. :)

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

"Dont worry about hills..." LOL If only it were that easy. :D

On another note, my wife who in the past I've had to force to get onto a bike is so impressed in the changes in me that she went and bought an Avanti Discovery (nearly half price). I cannot believe how keen she is now. Without me even saying anything she has completed 2 rides from our house to the beach along Linear park. This is not a huge distance but believe me, for my wife this is a HUGE step. I've got to do all I can to keep encouraging her now and she will see the rewards. Once that happens i reckon there will be no stopping her.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Comedian wrote:Don't worry about hills... they are part of bike riding. Each time you climb one it's made the next time easier. :)

Lol, you've not been to Adelaide, then??
There is miles and miles of flat and then bam...it's straight up into the hills :shock:
Mt Lofty is twice the height of Mt (Hill) Coot-tha, but once you're up there there's loads of hills to ride up and over!

Welcome to the worl of cycling, and it's great that your wife has caught the bug too :)
Lisa

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Big day tomorrow. Cannot wait........... :D

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Well the big day arrived and I have my new pride and joy. WOW! What a difference. I took a few trips around the block to get used to the cleats which I've never had before then decided on a quick ride. I only managed 33 kms but have a sore butt. Probably take a while to get used to it. I do feel a little stretched out on it though. Not sure if this is how your meant to feel on a road bike but my "fitting" :? consisted of a seat adjustment and nothing else. I recon i could have done that myself. I will be talking to the owner when i go in for it's first service because when I purchased the bike he said that they video you then feed it into a computer program to get everything right. Anyway, bike is sensational and very smooth. Averaged 27.7 kph for the ride which could easily be improved on. So far so good.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 pm

That is actually a very strong average!! as fit as me (seriously)

Im guesing you bought it from JT Cycles (the mention about the computer system fit)
U are right about that they should have done more with the fitting process

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks Richard. i thought it was good because it felt like a decent workout.
Not JT. When I go back I will discuss it with them. I'm not sure how 'stretched' out you are meant to be feeling. Will sliding my seat forward help or will that then put my feet in the wrong position?

wookie661

Postby wookie661 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:00 pm

ozzi supercub wrote:Well the big day arrived and I have my new pride and joy. WOW! What a difference. I took a few trips around the block to get used to the cleats which I've never had before then decided on a quick ride. I only managed 33 kms but have a sore butt. Probably take a while to get used to it. I do feel a little stretched out on it though. Not sure if this is how your meant to feel on a road bike but my "fitting" :? consisted of a seat adjustment and nothing else. I recon i could have done that myself. I will be talking to the owner when i go in for it's first service because when I purchased the bike he said that they video you then feed it into a computer program to get everything right. Anyway, bike is sensational and very smooth. Averaged 27.7 kph for the ride which could easily be improved on. So far so good.
hey ozzi, my local bike shop also said that to me about a computer fitting program.

then i purchased a bike and built it for me in 40 minutes before they closed, so the fitting process is them adjusting the seat a little for me, but ive sinced adjusted it a few times myself.

i asked about the fitting program the next day and was told it actually costs 170 for them to do it.

suffice to say, im just going to stick it out.

If you find your stretched out a bit, you could always get a shorter stem, or an adjustable one and adjust it up a little higher.

its little things like this where if you dont spend heaps of time in picking the right bike and fit , you may need to change a few different things as you go along.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm

A goodbike shop's fitting process will(should be free with the bike):
1. Measure your leg angle (knee straight inline with the centre of the pedal spindle)
2. Measure the seat height to make sure your hips don't drop (if your hips drop while pedaling u will get chafing between the legs)
3. Ask you how comfortable you are with the reach. (and replace stem or bars free of charge)

Maybe 4: set your cleats up if its your first cycling shoe(look at the way you stand and walk)
I learnt this the hard way as i was sold a 58cm bike and then when i got a bike fit from another shop they told me i should be on a 54cm :evil:

Ozzi - the geometry of flat bar vs drop bar road bikes are very different as you aren't meant to sit up so straight on a drop bar.

robbie d

Postby robbie d » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:38 am

There are not many things really to set up on a bike. Saddle height, fore-aft and bar reach. They really should have set the bike up when you bought it. Depending if you bought look pedals or not I know of a place with a computer that calculates the best position for the cleats. You can do knee/leg damage with badly adjusted ones.

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 am

Just completed my first 50k ride. Average speed of 27.2. I really just cruise the last 3 kms along Linear Park so the average drops. I am starting to get used to it and it really feels like so much more of your effort goes into propelling you down the road or up the hill. as opposed to my old hybrid. Didn't realise how bad some of our roads were until today. I can see this seat being changed. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Maybe I'll keep adjusting it and trying different positions. Just wondering if you can get custom made/moulded seats. Seems like a logical solution seeing as every ones backside is unique. I think once I get this saddle sorted I'll be fine.