Can skid but not on my bike...

.isaac.

Can skid but not on my bike...

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:21 pm

I can skid on 49x18 which is my friend xavier's bike.
I can't skid on mine which is 46x17.
Please explain how .4 of a Gear Inch can change that.^
Thank you.

The Womble

Re: Can skid but not on my bike...

Postby The Womble » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Huh? Zep is this the little brother who dared you to do the bunny hops?

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:25 pm

What do you mean??

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Basically your bike has a higher gear. there's more inertia built up in your back & wheel and momentum once you get up some sort of speed. Your legs have to be stronger to resist that. If your mates give you stick for not being able to skid; just call them "canary legs" for being on lower gear. :D

There's gotta be a threshold somewhere. I wouldn't break that sorta line down into gear inches. It's your leg strength versus your gear ratio.

Aside from that, I guess geometry & sizing of the bike might also have some bearing on your ability to confidently shift your weight, between one bike and the other. I've generally run low to mid 70 gear inches for few years I've been riding fixed, and can generally only skid on slipperier surfaces. It's nothing I've yearned to do especially, so I can't say it bothers me.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:50 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Basically your bike has a higher gear. there's more inertia built up in your back & wheel and momentum once you get up some sort of speed. Your legs have to be stronger to resist that. If your mates give you stick for not being able to skid; just call them "canary legs" for being on lower gear. :D

There's gotta be a threshold somewhere. I wouldn't break that sorta line down into gear inches. It's your leg strength versus your gear ratio.

Aside from that, I guess geometry & sizing of the bike might also have some bearing on your ability to confidently shift your weight, between one bike and the other. I've generally run low to mid 70 gear inches for few years I've been riding fixed, and can generally only skid on slipperier surfaces. It's nothing I've yearned to do especially, so I can't say it bothers me.
Yeah Thanks, Its just that I need a way to stop quickly cos of cars and driveways. My Mum sees me alot with Near misses. Also, Im not sure if .4 of a GI matters much, although my frame is ALOT bigger than his and I have no tread slick michelins and he has vittoria randouers. I could skid a Track Bike at the Track today but I didn't do it for too much longer cos I realized that they didn't have lockrings. I busted one....

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:00 pm

EvilGenius wrote:Yeah Thanks, Its just that I need a way to stop quickly cos of cars and driveways.
insider tip from the not-so-hip: brakes :roll:

You gotta trade off somewhere if you're trying to keep your mates & your mum happy.

And if you think it's too expensive to drop a gear (gain a tooth) on the rear sprocket; think of the money you'll be saving on tyres by NOT skidding.
--

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm

The Womble wrote:Huh? Zep is this the little brother who dared you to do the bunny hops?
Nope, he's my big brother who I dared to skid over our mums foot. I'm the only one in the family who can do skidz that go for 2 weeks, but then again I put that down to my fully sic to the maxxx BMX.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:45 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Yeah Thanks, Its just that I need a way to stop quickly cos of cars and driveways.
insider tip from the not-so-hip: brakes :roll:
I have brake except their not ones that bring the bike to a halt at a fast pace and it would be nice to take the brake off also which is why I want to learn to skid.
On other notes: I took the bike out for a ride after Mum let me go two block away (to get some soft drinks) and back after banning me from riding cos she thought I was going to kill myself cos cars are apparently a danger to me cos I ride like a fool. I did two skids and my upper body ached like hell! Along with my feet, legs and brain (for keeping focucesd).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I don't think there is an answer agreeable to all the pressures in your life.
--

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:11 pm

The difference is your tyres compared to your mates. You have significantly more grip than he does. Also you will stop quicker by not skidding if you can keep back pressure on your pedals with both feet, eg not just for half a rotation of the cranks.

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

bosvit wrote:The difference is your tyres compared to your mates. You have significantly more grip than he does. Also you will stop quicker by not skidding if you can keep back pressure on your pedals with both feet, eg not just for half a rotation of the cranks.
Ok. I'll keep that in mind next time I change the tyres.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

youth of today......now,now,now!
practice?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 pm

EvilGenius wrote:
bosvit wrote:The difference is your tyres compared to your mates. You have significantly more grip than he does. Also you will stop quicker by not skidding if you can keep back pressure on your pedals with both feet, eg not just for half a rotation of the cranks.
Ok. I'll keep that in mind next time I change the tyres.
Didn't you say YOU had the slicks and your mate the Randonneurs?
I think bosvit missed/misread your comment about the tyres. Eitherway, it's a combination of things I am betting.
--

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Get brakes mate. I couldn't imagine not riding without at least a decent front brake on my fixed gear bike. I ride with front+rear brakes and it is a real life saver.

On topic, check your tire pressure. I found I was having problems doing skids on my bike as the tires were gripping too much, checked the tire pressure and found the rear tire was 30 PSI below the recommended pressure (hadn't pumped it up for a fortnight). I few pumps from the track pump back up to 140PSI and it then skidded quite easily without wrecking the tire too much either. Give it a whirl.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 am

elStado wrote:Get brakes mate. I couldn't imagine not riding without at least a decent front brake on my fixed gear bike. I ride with front+rear brakes and it is a real life saver.

On topic, check your tire pressure. I found I was having problems doing skids on my bike as the tires were gripping too much, checked the tire pressure and found the rear tire was 30 PSI below the recommended pressure (hadn't pumped it up for a fortnight). I few pumps from the track pump back up to 140PSI and it then skidded quite easily without wrecking the tire too much either. Give it a whirl.
Firstly, I have a brake
Secondly, I haven't pumped mine up since I got it which is like.... a few weeks ago. My pump wrecks the valve so I think Ill get a new one soon.
boyracer wrote:youth of today......now,now,now!
practice?
I am practicing, I just took my bike out for an hour trying to do skids.

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm

It's likely that the weight distribution is different between the bikes, which affects the grip force.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:30 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I have brake except their not ones that bring the bike to a halt at a fast pace and it would be nice to take the brake off also which is why I want to learn to skid.
Brakes will stop you quicker than skidding.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Skidding doesn't get the chicks

.isaac.

Postby .isaac. » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:41 pm

I don't care, I just want to learn how to skid on my bike. I can skid on grass but not on pavement, any thoughts?
I might also post this up on fixed.org.au under the newbie questions.

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I don't care, I just want to learn how to skid on my bike. I can skid on grass but not on pavement, any thoughts?
I might also post this up on fixed.org.au under the newbie questions.
Find the bike polo dudes and where they play and you will get all the help you need
http://bikepolo.com.au/

cheers tim
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm

EvilGenius wrote:I don't care, I just want to learn how to skid on my bike. I can skid on grass but not on pavement, any thoughts?
Gravel verges are your friend. Straight line, broadies, 180ºs; you should practise until you can flip the bike sideways with your feet still on the pedals, stop and get started again without having to put a foot down. On the right bike I [used to be able to] can.

Also, you get to be a hardcore cycle dude when you have to scrub gravel out of bleeding knees. We've all been there, you know it makes sense.

EvilGenius wrote:I might also post this up on fixed.org.au under the newbie questions.
Yes, that would [not] be wise. I can just imagine the thoroughly disarming and friendly responses you'll get there.

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm

ps not blame me if you get hook on it
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

munga

Postby munga » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 am

HappyHumber wrote:I don't think there is an answer agreeable to all the pressures in your life.
8)

MiG

Postby MiG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am

EvilGenius wrote:I can skid on grass but not on pavement, any thoughts?
Are you kidding me? Are you seriously wondering why you can skid on grass but not pavement?

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm

I realised that the OP has the slicks and friend the rannonduers.

I had Vittoria Ronnonduers and changed to Michellin Pro's and found the slicks had more grip when breaking even though they were only 25s V 28s and no I didn't change rims or brake pads, LOL.