Diary of a Noob

robbie d

Re: Diary of a Noob

Postby robbie d » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

if the saddle feels hard, it probably is. I haven't left a stock saddle on a bike yet. you'll find one you like eventually, and yes, drop bar road bikes certainly do feel a lot more zippy.
I would like to find a way to transport my planes via backpack so I could ride down to the park instead of driving.

McGoo

Diary of a Noob

Postby McGoo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 am

It takes me a few weeks to really get used to a new seat, so don't rush it off yet. If you can, get to a shop where they can determine the width of your sit bones to determine the correct saddle width.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 am

ozzi supercub wrote:Just completed my first 50k ride. Average speed of 27.2. I really just cruise the last 3 kms along Linear Park so the average drops. I am starting to get used to it and it really feels like so much more of your effort goes into propelling you down the road or up the hill. as opposed to my old hybrid. Didn't realise how bad some of our roads were until today. I can see this seat being changed. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Maybe I'll keep adjusting it and trying different positions. Just wondering if you can get custom made/moulded seats. Seems like a logical solution seeing as every ones backside is unique. I think once I get this saddle sorted I'll be fine.
First thing is you need good quality knix. Unfortunately most bike seats on road bikes are unrideable without these. I don't agree with that but that's another topic...

Second, are you sitting far back enough on the seat? If you don't you're going to get all kinds of issues. Judging from what you said about the lentoverness (??) of the bike I reckon this could be a problem.

A two hour ride is a good starting distance though. Maybe give it a bit longer, but you should be springing off the bike after two hours without any arse pain or something is wrong. For example, I did 95k yesterday and no pain whatsoever.

ozzi supercub

Postby ozzi supercub » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

robbie d wrote: I would like to find a way to transport my planes via backpack so I could ride down to the park instead of driving.
Do you fly model planes Robbie? Are you on RC Groups "Adelaide thread"?
Any minute not spent on my bike is a minute wasted.