carbon wheels ? are they worth it?

ranget@bigpond.com

carbon wheels ? are they worth it?

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:26 pm

gday all ive been riding a couple of years now, i average a minimum of 80 k,s a ride or 130 + have a great all carbon bike ,with shimano 550 alloys just wondering would carbonwheels improve my ride -also heard they help with climbing .Cheeked out a pair of gravity zero wheels on special for 650 *tempted*

sogood

Re: carbon wheels ? are they worth it?

Postby sogood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Depends on the design of the CF wheel, it'll help or hinder in different ways. Low profile... Low weight. High profile... Aero. Hit a dog... Taco time.

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:18 pm

sogood wrote:Depends on the design of the CF wheel, it'll help or hinder in different ways. Low profile... Low weight. High profile... Aero. Hit a dog... Taco time.

BAD DOG! :shock: :mrgreen:

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

What a good looking Labrador. Nice doggy

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 am

Yes they are a bit quicker but I wouldn't bother with the expense unless you are racing and regularly coming close to winning. If you want a nice wheel upgrade, get some handbuilt wheels with a good alloy rim on nice hubs.

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:00 pm

thanks mate

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 am

Can you eplain to me where you can get good alloy wheels built up that are less than the $650 for carbons ???

If you dont race dont bother but if you do get a nice set of 38 or 50mm carbon wheels, they are faster and stiffer than alloy wheels. I have been racing for 23 years and I can confirm 100% carbon wheels are faster !!!

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 am

When I bought my first serious bike, friends said the best upgrades would be shoes and wheels. When I rode with Zonda (middle of the road campo) I couldn't believe the difference.
Have since ridden on carbon (Easton) wheels and what i notice is that when you get up a steady rhythm on a highway it seems effortless- it's not of course. I don't race but the carbaon wheels are a treat to ride on.

celeste boy

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:49 pm

trek52 wrote:Can you eplain to me where you can get good alloy wheels built up that are less than the $650 for carbons ???

If you dont race dont bother but if you do get a nice set of 38 or 50mm carbon wheels, they are faster and stiffer than alloy wheels. I have been racing for 23 years and I can confirm 100% carbon wheels are faster !!!
thanks thats what i wanted to hear

ranget@bigpond.com

Postby ranget@bigpond.com » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 pm

celeste boy wrote:When I bought my first serious bike, friends said the best upgrades would be shoes and wheels. When I rode with Zonda (middle of the road campo) I couldn't believe the difference.
Have since ridden on carbon (Easton) wheels and what i notice is that when you get up a steady rhythm on a highway it seems effortless- it's not of course. I don't race but the carbaon wheels are a treat to ride on.

celeste boy
sounds good definitly going to get a pair /i dont race but speed does mater.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Warranty, warranty, warranty.

I saw Reynolds wheels for sale in the UK with a "no questions asked" warranty that were an extra 200 pounds over the normal 75kg rider warranty. Always check the maximum rider weight allowed, and the "mandatory" service intervals. A few brands say to maintain the warranty you need them inspected and cleared by a local agent. My riding partner is on his fourth pair of Rovals under warranty. He puts out 75 watts more than I do and is mean to those wheels but the warranty back up is top-notch. I have a pair of Hyperon 2 Ultras and they are unbelievably good. BUT they are double the price of my DT-Swiss RR wheels, and not twice as good though.

But my Fiamme Ergal tubulars from 1982 are still the most beautiful wheels I have.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 am

My experience. If you are racing, Yes Reynolds and Zipps are worth it.

Cheers!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

My experience. If you are racing, Yes Reynolds and Zipps are worth it.

Cheers!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brendeng

Postby brendeng » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm

I have 2 sets of hand built wheels, 1 Alloy, 1 Full Carbon Clincher .... Same Hub and Spoke pattern for both sets ..... The Carbon set are faster for sure !!
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

chippa1968

Postby chippa1968 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

In answer to your question, 'hell yes' would be my initial response. I was in the same situation a while back and did a lot of research and all I say in regard to the Gravity Zero wheels is do your homework, read some of the forums and form your own opinion.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 pm

I got a set of flashpoints, they are pretty much zipps. Light and I could really feel the difference climbing when I got them.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 pm

The last wheels i would buy are from Gravity Zero. I've had nothing but trouble with them and so have many other people. The owner is a complete prick.

check this out
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Pawnii...thats a shocker right there! Imagine someone telling you you shouldn't freewheel on a geared roadbike? :evil: Garvity Zero is a no go zone for me now!