Shift workers commuting

petie

Re: Shift workers commuting

Postby petie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 am

I do it, evening shift, nights and mornings. As everyone says the traffic is much calmer but you need lights and reflectors. Be careful of the fatigue factor though, i think i fell asleep the other day, was riding slowly down the footpath and just dumped it for no apparent reason. Night shift is the main culprit but riding in the dark is just that little bit more challenging than broad daylight too.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:24 am

Less traffic @petie but that's pretty amazing - falling asleep while riding :shock:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

petie

Postby petie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm

mmm i had a look at the path afterwards and couldn't see any other reason. Others i work with have experienced the same thing, one ending up in a broken collarbone! I think we must work too hard :lol:

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 pm

did the looong shift for years as a cafe owner...7 days, in (AT) 6.30 out at 11/midnight for about 7 years. found fri/sat nights (cruise nights for ricers/hoons/bogans) the worst. I used to find a back street on these nights for my 11 k commute. hit once in AM by T junction runner. claim a lane and 1/2 a dozen blinkies (change the batteries once a month) works well. good luck.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 am

Did a 12 hour day today, left in the dark at 8pm. I seriously don't like riding at night very much, not with this much sleep. I need a brighter light.

McGoo

Shift workers commuting

Postby McGoo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

We do ten hour days and 14 hour nights, coming home from a night shift can be a huge struggle sometimes with fatigue and all. Sometimes I'll have a quick nap before leaving so that I'm a bit more perky, as most of the ride home is hard shoulder on 70kmh roads.

Getting up early before a day shift is a bigch sometimes, but I just got a 900 lumen light from cell for $100, so that should help a lot.

Sent from the future.