converting front/rear dp brakes - mounting bolt head?

HappyHumber

converting front/rear dp brakes - mounting bolt head?

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:08 am

From the one pair of longer reach Tektro brakes I've pulled apart (silver pair I had anodised black for the Steamroller project) I can see the only real difference between a front and rear pair of dual pivot bake calipers is the length of the main mounting bolt.

I spose I'm just wondering out loud, but with a pair of short (modern standard) reach black 105 brakes I have - if I were to sell them on Flea-bay - would I get more by converting the rear to a front and selling them individually as two seperate front brakes to the flourishing fixie market, internationally? (I was astounded about 6 months ago by selling the black STI 105 brifters from the same groupset to someone in the US for $150! - even though they were scratched and described as such)

So I guess my question is... how interchangeable are the mounting bolts on dual pivot brakes between brands and models? I'm thinking different brands and models might have different countersunk recesses in the caliper arm piece for the bolt head - but that's about it.

bah.. it's late.. I should go to bed.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:01 am

Have you priced the parts to do the converstion?

I went into my lbs to buy the recessed nut. They didn't have anything in stock but could only buy the complete shaft assembly, not individual bits, and it retailed for $40 which is why they didn't stock them :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 am

I have a donor pair of no-name front calipers which I picked up from somewhere. I guess the only way to test theory is to try using the parts I have on hand - anything else would be just speculating :)
--

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:55 am

HappyHumber wrote:I have a donor pair of no-name front calipers which I picked up from somewhere. I guess the only way to test theory is to try using the parts I have on hand - anything else would be just speculating :)
The only difference is the shaft and nut. I personally wouldn't bother, but then again, I buy brakes in paired sets and can't see the point of only having one, but I'm an old fuddy duddy :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:11 am

they're both of the recessed variety.

Ah it's just a crackpot scheme of mine to possibly make a few extra $ selling some unwanted stuff on e-bay. I notice you tend to get more for selling things torn down - ie. the sum of the parts is greater than the total.... err or something like that. 2 seperate front calipers vs. a front & rear pair? I dunno.. it's just a thought

Moving in other Fixed Gear circles on the 'net as I did until recently, when I then discovered these less trend obsessed & Seppo-centric forums (thank god) I really noticed how much fashion dictates sales and how people build things.

I only have a front brake on my MBK fixie, a nice older Shimano 300 Exage DP jobbie. I still have its rear mate - but I never thought I would get the use out of the bike as I have. When winter comes around again and I put some fenders, nay, mudguards (psrrpsphht...) on I think I will refit the back brake and source a pair aero levers and go back to a drop bar setup rather than the flop & chopped bars I have presently. Drifting away from the trend of so many bikes on fixedgeargallery.com to a more practical steed.

Kym
--