Flooding in Longford this weekend

master6

Flooding in Longford this weekend

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 am

The caravan park in Longford phoned this morning to cancel bookings for this weekend, due to flooding.

Will this flooding cause cancellation of the race Longford to Campbelltown?

RobRollin

Re: Flooding in Longford this weekend

Postby RobRollin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm waiting for a response from up North.......

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Ah thats a bugger Master, pretty typical for that park the flood as you always here about it.

I dont know the roads well enough up that way, I am guessing the lowest bit would be around Cressy? I think it clears fairly quickly from that area at least, with it clearing up over the weekend it might be ok.

Good luck if it goes ahead!

cheers
Baldy

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:36 pm

I spoke too soon!! By the reports on ABC radio its pretty wet up there. I think they are still waiting on the esk to peak? One bloke said the water had dropped a foot but I think he was on the Macquarie.

They were closing the flood gates at Longford which gives you an idea of how wet it is up there.

I still think it will clear by Sunday but no idea what kind of damage/debris might be under the water, considering it came pretty quickly and about a day earlier than predicted.

Fingers crossed for ya.

cheers

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Race is on Saturday, so we really only have 18 hours for things to improve. Woolmers Lane and Powranna Rd are both currently closed so need to access Longford via Illawarra Rd. That road may be closed by this evening according to police and BOM.

Currently no closures listed for the race route. Levels are likely to recede overnight from BOM reports. But who knows. May drive through to Longford on the race route rather than the highway to assess the amount of rubbish on the road etc
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

I think I will do a Northern event another day.

The Dome ride in sunny Hobart is now my plan for tomorrow.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:16 pm

That's a shame ... given that the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow up North, and is already fine in Launceston today. This is just water coming down from the North East, and apparently is flowing through pretty quickly. It's already peaked near Campbell Town and Avoca and will start going down in the next few hours around Longford too.

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/flood/northern.shtml is a fun site - you can see graphs of river levels all around the race area.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 pm

master6 wrote:I think I will do a Northern event another day.

You missed an awesome and very tough race in perfect weather with clean empty roads! My write-up if it is of interest: http://marc.durdin.net/2011/03/my-first ... pbell.html

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:50 pm

mcdurdin wrote:
master6 wrote:I think I will do a Northern event another day.

You missed an awesome and very tough race in perfect weather with clean empty roads! My write-up if it is of interest: http://marc.durdin.net/2011/03/my-first ... pbell.html
Walking across bridges! I ride into the toilet!
Thanks for your write up Marc, I enjoyed it. I am glad that you had all those excuses prepared, and very pleased to note that you did not use them. :D I have heard some good ones, and just wish I could bag them up and bring them home to the garden. They are ok to share in privacy with our wives; in fact my wife has made up a couple for me from time to time. As a retiree I like to get to a race a day or two in advance, and relax in the caravan. Caravanning was called off on Thursday when Longford caravan park called and said "dont come, we are about to be metres under water."
This has all prompted me to have another look at the road calendar. Plenty to come.
I look forward to more write ups.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks master6, I enjoyed writing it up on the iPhone in the way home while my wife drove :) I have a long and overly detailed post on the Wellington Challenge on my blog as well if you are into reading masochism... (What am I saying? You are a road cyclist. You are into all kinds of masochism!) somewhere at http://marc.durdin.net/ :)