Cycling on the Northside of Brisbane?

ekib

Postby ekib » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Cycling-Super-Highway-media-release

I read this media release recently.
Any comments from cyclists on the northside of Brisbane?

Ekib
The End.

dclnmurray

Re: Cycling on the Northside of Brisbane?

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes there is a guy at work that cycles from North side and I don't envy him at all. I have seen that South, West and East all have decent off road routes into the city yet the North side east misses out to a degreee. I have the fortunate luck to live at Kuraby (south of Garden City) so a large proportion of my commute is on shared and bicycle paths. When the V1 veloway is completed up to the Glen Hotel at 8 Mile Plains I can remove the last busy section out of my commute. The north side needs a V1 type bikeway built.

cheers

Dave

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Oxford wrote:its a very accurate piece of media release, though we need more than one cycling super highway
baby steps! Let's get just one first :)

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 pm

LOL!!! Now that was an entertaining read.
I'm all for improving the infrastructure for cycling, I think anything to encourage cycling is great. But jesus, who wants to cycle 20+ km in high 30s heat and turn up at work drenched in sweat, and what happens when it RAINS? I will never give up my car for commuting, and most of the traffic problems come from abysmal planning and overuse of traffic lights. I don't understand why people can't just say "hey, this would be a good idea because _______" instead of "CARS ARE EVIL AND EVERYONE MUST CYCLE TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM THEM". I would be much more enthusiastic to support a more resonable and moderate organisation.
Anyway, hopefully we'll get some kind of contiguous network sometime soon, it would be fantastic to be able to ride from the northside all the way to the GC without having to tackle any roads. Or even just from the city out to cleveland....

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Gabe wrote:"CARS ARE EVIL AND EVERYONE MUST CYCLE TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM THEM"
well they are 8)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 am

Gabe wrote:LOL!!! Now that was an entertaining read.
I'm all for improving the infrastructure for cycling, I think anything to encourage cycling is great. But jesus, who wants to cycle 20+ km in high 30s heat and turn up at work drenched in sweat, and what happens when it RAINS? I will never give up my car for commuting, and most of the traffic problems come from abysmal planning and overuse of traffic lights. I don't understand why people can't just say "hey, this would be a good idea because _______" instead of "CARS ARE EVIL AND EVERYONE MUST CYCLE TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM THEM". I would be much more enthusiastic to support a more resonable and moderate organisation.
Anyway, hopefully we'll get some kind of contiguous network sometime soon, it would be fantastic to be able to ride from the northside all the way to the GC without having to tackle any roads. Or even just from the city out to cleveland....
Ummm lots more people would ride in if it was safe. I think it's an excellent press release.

I want my kids to know that when they are older they will be riding to uni or wherever else it is they have to go. But at the moment they can't even get to the cbd without taking their chances from our home only 7k out. Crazy

There are excellent routes into the cbd from the west, south and even wynnum is having a dedicated bike lane built. Riding is popular for people living in these areas too.

What does the north side have? Painted lines on busy roads that force you to ride against parked cars or fight traffic. Grrr

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 am

Gabe wrote:But jesus, who wants to cycle 20+ km in high 30s heat and turn up at work drenched in sweat, and what happens when it RAINS?
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

I ride to work every chance I get. That's 26Km each way (assuming I take the mixed route which includes a train ride - otherwise it's more like 50Km each way). And you know, there are these brand new inventions called SHOWERS. Lots of workplaces have them. Gyms have them. In Brisbane, there's a few extra-special end-of-trip facilities that have lots of them all in one place! This is not an insurmountable challenge. It just needs a little planning. Same for when it's raining. It's only rain! Get a few waterproof bags or panniers to carry all your crap, and ride, ride, ride!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:33 am

ekib wrote:Cycling-Super-Highway-media-release

Ekib
My bet is a fair amount of that $600m is now being channelled into flood damaged roads? I did'nt realise how congested Brisbane is untill I spent a week in Adelaide.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:53 am

Mustang wrote:
ekib wrote:Cycling-Super-Highway-media-release

Ekib
My bet is a fair amount of that $600m is now being channelled into flood damaged roads? I did'nt realise how congested Brisbane is untill I spent a week in Adelaide.
Well they have said publicly that the cycle network expansion will be delayed for this reason. That tells you about their priorities.

They haven't realized roads make it worse.

chrisgeo

Postby chrisgeo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:26 pm

It's accurate. Northside is nearly there, in that there's a wealth of excellent local tracks. They're extensive and you can really get around to places on them. The Kedron bikeway is just fantastic in its extent.

...BUT...

THERE'S JUST NO SAFE WAY FOR MANY NORTH-SIDE RIDERS TO GET TO THE CITY. Here's my analogy: It's like a skeleton with no spine. We've got all these complex ribs and limbs going off in all directions, but no central conduit going directly north-south to safely get people to and from the city and interconnecting all these local tracks.

There are ways to get there of course, but it involves frankly dangerous on-road riding or some pretty major hills. They're not a concern to some, but I really believe that bikeways should be built in a manner that facilitate their use by EVERYONE.

NORTHSIDE PROBLEMS:
-Too much on-road riding required
-I just can't get from the Kedron bikeway to the city with my wife on her bike, and a young child in a child seat on the back of each bike. MY FAMILY CAN'T RIDE TO THE CITY, and we're only 9kms away. It should take 30 minutes and be a viable weekend activity, but there's just NO WAY I'm doing that. Too many on-road sections, too many hills.
-I can't imagine daily facing the danger and hills if I was just wanting to work commute the 9km from Kedron bikeway to the city. You'd arrive too annoyed and sweaty.

SOLUTIONS:
-We do need a superhighway as the article says.
-It needs to be wide, flat and completely off-road.
-IDEA: What about running a 3m wide track along the railway corridors from Caboolture and Ferny Hills to the Royal Brisbane Hospital bike paths? They're flat, and neatly connect many of the local paths. I could imagine all sorts of non-car traffic using a track like that, regularly, and at peak times. I think of Amsterdam with 10's of thousands of bikers who have such awesome flat safe paths, and they use them.

Just how many cars could be taken off the road, and how many commuters would ride to the city if it was safe, really safe, and flatter? How many workers live on the northside? 100,000's of thousands. How many cars could we take off the roads? Thousands.

Come on Brisbane City Council! Come on QLD Govt!!

HERE'S MY CHALLENGE:
To the Premier, Mayor, and local members: Meet me any given Monday morning anywhere on that awesome, massive, Kedron Bikeway at 8am with a child in a child seat behind you, and let's try to together to find a way to ride to the city safely. Please show me how to do it! I'd love to know. I've spent hours and hours trying various routes, poring over Satellite maps, with no luck really. Always too dangerous, or too hilly.

Until it's possible to do it completely safely, in a fashion that my wife can do it with a child on the back, there'll be no serious uptick in bicycle usage on the Northside.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:39 pm

chrisgeo wrote:Always too dangerous, or too hilly.
I personally think your perception of the dangers is greatly exaggerated, but you're mostly right - there's no single cycle friendly path into the city. It's just a hodge podge of paths which don't connect up very well. Certainly could be a bit daunting for new riders.

If they converted a chunk of victoria park to a cycleway, that'd make the bit past the hospital nicer 8)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm

chrisgeo wrote:It's accurate. Northside is nearly there, in that there's a wealth of excellent local tracks. They're extensive and you can really get around to places on them. The Kedron bikeway is just fantastic in its extent.

...BUT...

THERE'S JUST NO SAFE WAY FOR MANY NORTH-SIDE RIDERS TO GET TO THE CITY. Here's my analogy: It's like a skeleton with no spine. We've got all these complex ribs and limbs going off in all directions, but no central conduit going directly north-south to safely get people to and from the city and interconnecting all these local tracks.

There are ways to get there of course, but it involves frankly dangerous on-road riding or some pretty major hills. They're not a concern to some, but I really believe that bikeways should be built in a manner that facilitate their use by EVERYONE.

NORTHSIDE PROBLEMS:
-Too much on-road riding required
-I just can't get from the Kedron bikeway to the city with my wife on her bike, and a young child in a child seat on the back of each bike. MY FAMILY CAN'T RIDE TO THE CITY, and we're only 9kms away. It should take 30 minutes and be a viable weekend activity, but there's just NO WAY I'm doing that. Too many on-road sections, too many hills.
-I can't imagine daily facing the danger and hills if I was just wanting to work commute the 9km from Kedron bikeway to the city. You'd arrive too annoyed and sweaty.

SOLUTIONS:
-We do need a superhighway as the article says.
-It needs to be wide, flat and completely off-road.
-IDEA: What about running a 3m wide track along the railway corridors from Caboolture and Ferny Hills to the Royal Brisbane Hospital bike paths? They're flat, and neatly connect many of the local paths. I could imagine all sorts of non-car traffic using a track like that, regularly, and at peak times. I think of Amsterdam with 10's of thousands of bikers who have such awesome flat safe paths, and they use them.

Just how many cars could be taken off the road, and how many commuters would ride to the city if it was safe, really safe, and flatter? How many workers live on the northside? 100,000's of thousands. How many cars could we take off the roads? Thousands.

Come on Brisbane City Council! Come on QLD Govt!!

HERE'S MY CHALLENGE:
To the Premier, Mayor, and local members: Meet me any given Monday morning anywhere on that awesome, massive, Kedron Bikeway at 8am with a child in a child seat behind you, and let's try to together to find a way to ride to the city safely. Please show me how to do it! I'd love to know. I've spent hours and hours trying various routes, poring over Satellite maps, with no luck really. Always too dangerous, or too hilly.

Until it's possible to do it completely safely, in a fashion that my wife can do it with a child on the back, there'll be no serious uptick in bicycle usage on the Northside.
Did I just type that under a new username? Damn I've got to lay off the meds!

Seriously I agree 100%. The north side is for strong confident riders that can handle themselves in traffic. For everyone else it's just not going to happen. I would love to take the kids into town on weekends for various things by bike but it's never going to happen until there is a quality segregated path to the CBD. Grrrr

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Too many hills ?

I do like sandgate road quicker then any bike path, they just need to do something at the nudge road roundabout (in bound) and the gateway exit ( northbound deagon/boondall).