STi brake cables

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

STi brake cables

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Are a pain in the arse to replace!

Any tips to reduce the pain next time around?
For a while there I thought I might have to pull the bloody levers off the bars :roll:
I s'pose misplacing me proper cable cutters and having to use sidecutters didn't help?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:40 pm

Making sure you've got the shifters in bottom helps ... though that still didn't prevent me from getting the Jamis's shifter cable in wrong. On the surface, it should be simple, and it is, but by cripes it's easy to get it wrong.

Richard

mind you, the alternative theory is that you're a muggins :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

thomas_cho

Re: STi brake cables

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Are a pain in the arse to replace!

Any tips to reduce the pain next time around?
For a while there I thought I might have to pull the bloody levers off the bars :roll:
I s'pose misplacing me proper cable cutters and having to use sidecutters didn't help?

Shaun
What were the problems that you experienced with the cable installation?

They are quite straightforward to replace ... the only minor issue was trying to thread it through the shifter. I normally just put in a very slight kink/bend ... to help it point in the right direction.

I sometimes re-use lightly used brake cables ... i put a drop or two of super glue on the tip to prevent fraying of the strands.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 pm

The issues were the lack of a straight feed with that barrel thingy that attaches the cable nipple to the lever in the way, friction when pushing the cable round the first bend, oh and being muggins wouldn't help either. :P

Thanks for suggesting kinking the cable end Thomas and having the shifters in bottom Richard, that should have it right the next time.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011