Cleaning?

Crawf

Cleaning?

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 am

Hiya,

I have done a search and it pretty much came up with nothing in The Shed.

I'm after some info on what liquids to use for cleaning the cassette & derailleurs along with any tools to help make the job easier? Also, whats best to wash the frame without damaging the paint?

Are there any 'how to' articles around at all?

Thanks

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:41 am

There is a thread i called electronic manuals which you can get maintenance books from.

Mainly you would just use an aerosol citrus degreaser, an old rag, and maybe a toothbrush. But you can get dedicated cleaners for doing the cogs. Then again you can get dedicated chain cleaners also.

I would suggest a citrus degreaser. From your LBS, Auto centre or Bunnings, etc. Just make sure you don't leave any moving parts oil/lube free for too long as they will have no protection.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 am

I've always found good ol kero, an old toothbrush and a rag works, only downside is kero stinks and is annoying to get rid of when you're done.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm not a fan of the citrus degreasers because they leave the parts vulnerable to corrosion and so those parts must then be protected with oil. Kero (real kero) has the interesting property that while it dregreases effectively, it leaves an oily film. You still have to lubricate the parts properly, but the kero adds a safety buffer.

One should also note that I'm happy to live with that dreadful stink and that I believe that mechanical parts look better when (slightly) oily than when stripped dead clean (there's a difference between 'oily' and 'dirty') - others disagree with both these views and so use things like the citrus degreasers.

The citrus degreasers do seem to be the pick of the alternatives to kero - cheap, non-stinky, available and biodegradable.

I use kero, paint brush, tooth brush, one of those skinny brushes for getting between cassettes and a chain cleaner. The last two are used because I bought them to see what they were like and haven't broken them yet - they have their place but I probably won't buy replacements. I also use an old baking tray which sits underneath what I'm cleaning and this does a good job of collecting the dripping kero, thus reducing the mess.
I have done a search and it pretty much came up with nothing in The Shed.
You won't in the Shed because it's a relatively new forum. This subject has been done to death before but in other forums so I suggest you widen your search and do it again. A lot has been said and a lot offered in the past, and I suspect much of it won't be said again (because it's been done to death). To get the full story, do a search of the whole forum. Having said that, I'm glad you raised it again because although there are a few of us who aren't going to change our opinions, with our constant flow of new members and new cyclists, this is a topic that can be redone from time to time ... just don't be shocked if someone accuses you of trying to start a war (it's one of the 'religious' topics :wink: )

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Kero, lube, rags and a brush should be just fine! Thanks.

Andrew Grace

Postby Andrew Grace » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:03 pm

As above, Kero, cheap and very effective.
I've been using kero on my motorbike chains and sprockets for years.

inaminit

Postby inaminit » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm

I've found kero does the best job by far, but stinks.

I've tried a few different citrus degreasers and found they didnt work anywhere near as well.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Hot water and dishwashing liquid and only ever use white lightning...i spent so many years smelling of petrol that I cant stand the thought of using kero.I prefer citrus if I really need some kick.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Some say dishwashing liquids contain too many salts which will corrode alloy parts, but I say 'if you use it full strength you might have a problem, but who's that stupid?'. On the other hand I'm with Europa in preferring kerosene for general cleaning because of the slightly oily film which is a wonderful beading agent and protector of anodising and paintwork. On carbon fibre components I use Mr Sheen furniture polish after thorough cleaning.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Kero on the drivetrain, after a while you won't notice the smell.

When I do get around to the frame, a bit of WD40 on a rag works well, just don't spray it around.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Oh yeah, various salts are used in many commercial cleaners as a thickening agent, I'd never use dishwasing liquid on a steelie.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I've taken to using my non-acid mag wheel cleaner when the bike needs a REALLY good clean, and a car spray detailer (both Meguiars) in between for the quick wipeovers.

If I'm going to look after my car, I may as well look after my bike just as well.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm

after you have cleaned the bike, use brasso on the frame, it highlights the frame lustre and give a brilliant finish. Ive seen the pros mechanics use the same thing.

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Birdman wrote:
Mainly you would just use an aerosol citrus degreaser, an old rag, and maybe a toothbrush. But you can get dedicated cleaners for doing the cogs. Then again you can get dedicated chain cleaners also.

I would suggest a citrus degreaser. From your LBS, Auto centre or Bunnings, etc. Just make sure you don't leave any moving parts oil/lube free for too long as they will have no protection.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.

I was recommended and have tried the spray on degreasers from Super Cheap Auto. Like citrus degreasers which I now tend to use citrus degreasers with a good rinse and lube after. Alll seem to work OK but I have no idea how any of them may affect the bling bits or the paint on frame in the longer term.

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 pm

opssss i meant Mr Sheen furniture polish like rustychiesel suggested not brasso, i use it on my frame and comes up beautiful.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:27 pm

I found the kero worked quite well on my chain and the rest of the bike as a degreaser. However, I need to be very careful to use it not just in an open space but also when there's wind otherwise the fumes make me feel quite ill.

A change in chain manufacturer on the commuter has meant that it's better to leave it on the bike so I "invested" in a Pedro's chain machine. The degreaser that comes with it is something else. Combined with the chain machine it gets the chain cleaner than my old method with the full rinse and spin cycle in kero, and it's water soluble. Other citrus cleaners I've tried have been pretty ordinary.

After rinsing the degreaser off with the hose (good excuse to water the lawn) and drying with a rag, a drop of White Lightning on each chain roller, a quick backwards spin for a minute to work it in, followed by spinning it back through a rag to wipe off the excess, and I'm ready to go.

For the cassette I just stretch a rag between my hands and wipe back and forwards between the sprockets with the wheel off the bike. I have one of those cassette brushes that is quite useful and a general bike cleaning brush I got off T7 that between them are good for getting dried crud off just about all the bike.

If you have discs be very careful to keep degreaser and lubricants well away.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:26 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:If you have discs be very careful to keep degreaser and lubricants well away.
Damn important point that, If it happens metho should fix the rotors.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

peter

Postby peter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 am

So where can I buy this wonderful kerosene? Camping supplies?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:48 am

peter wrote:So where can I buy this wonderful kerosene? Camping supplies?
K-Mart near the paint, you'll find all the kerosene, methylated spirits, turpentine, etc. Camping supplies or hardware stores will probably stock it too.

I used kerosene to clean a chain once but it smells so bad I doubt I'll do it that way again. Don't bring it indoors without the cap on!
Last edited by Bnej on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:24 am

I found my bottle of kero at Coles supermarket, near all the other cleaning products as you'd expect. No, I haven't used it once yet. Citrus degreaser is still my mainstay.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:31 am

Bnej wrote:...mentholated spirits...
That's methylated spirits, btw. i.e., spirits (ethanol) with methanol added to denature it (make it toxic therefore undrinkable).

Mentholated spirits would be spirit with menthol , which is commonly used as a mint-flavouring agent, as well as in various therapeutic products.

It's a very common misspelling. Even the Victorian WorkCover site has it misspelled in the summary of this article.

Stryker
resident pedant

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm

stryker84 wrote:
Bnej wrote:...mentholated spirits...
That's methylated spirits, btw. i.e., spirits (ethanol) with methanol added to denature it (make it toxic therefore undrinkable).

Mentholated spirits would be spirit with menthol , which is commonly used as a mint-flavouring agent, as well as in various therapeutic products.

It's a very common misspelling...
I meant to type it correctly, but spell check fixed it for me! Didn't look at what it got changed to. :lol:

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Good old methylated spirits aye.

My inlaws and parents both have stills to make their own alcohol and there is some sort of biproduct of it is metho so i think i can get plenty of that.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Birdman wrote:Good old methylated spirits aye.

My inlaws and parents both have stills to make their own alcohol and there is some sort of biproduct of it is metho so i think i can get plenty of that.

Mitch.
Um, should you really be sharing this info with everyone?

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 pm

I use citrus degreaser (bought in bulk from marine supplies shop) diluted to whatever strength required (ie strong for drive train and diluted to washing-up water quantities for the frame). Hose the lot off then dry well.

Kero would be ok for the roadie as I use Triflow lube but on the mtb the film of oil left behind is a dust magnet (oil+dust=grinding paste) and I need everything clean to apply Pedros extra-dry lube.

I agree with Mr Sheen for the frame duco - we don't use that junk on furniture here it's kept in the shed for bikes. And some leather cream for the saddle (back before I moved in with my other half I used vaseline on my saddles).

Steph