First night racing (1st March)

TrackPete

First night racing (1st March)

Postby TrackPete » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

I have been attending the Brunswick development sessions of a Sunday for the last few months and tonight is the night I plan to make my racing Debut.

Report to come.

I am looking forward to it. Been told to race D grade. So I bloody hope I can get a win.

toppity

Re: First night racing (1st March)

Postby toppity » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Good Luck,

Hope it goes well for you. Time on the track is a long term investment. I hope you love it and stay hooked.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Once the bug bites!! :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 am

Discovered last night I can't ride as well as I thought I could. ha

Went to the track and being my first time they wanted me to do E grade. I told them no as I do C grade crits and they said well you have to do D Grade.

First race was scratch over 15 laps. I managed a 4th (10 of us). There was one guy who was very strong but couldn't hold his line in the sprinters lane. Put me off a bit. The other guys said he does it every week and just doesn't understand weaving in and out is BAD.

Race 2 was a points race and experience would teach you to be in the right place at the right time. I was in the wrong place for both sprints. Think I came equal last on no points.

Race 3 was a 35km motorpace. I don't think I had gears big enough. Everyone changed them before the race. With 10laps to go I just couldn't pedal any faster. Will check the bike computer stats tonight for what I was doing re cadence and speed when I popped off the back. And what gears my bike has on it. I have NFI

Overall it was great fun and the guys were very friendly. No serious heads.

Back next week.

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 am

Sounds like a great start mate. Points races are very hard. Recovery between sprints is the key. Tactics play a massive role as well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Rome wasn't built over night TrackPete! :idea:

For motor paced work, maybe try 48x14=92.5 or 51x15=91.6 for a start. :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 am

Foo I don't have a 48

But it appears I was running a 47x16 at the track. My friend who races track all the time tells me it's a girly gear.

He said I need to be on at least a 90. Like you suggest.

Anyway I now have a 49x14 on so lets see how I go in next weeks motor pace. I could change it to a 49x15.

Also how can a track bike that never goes outside get so dirty. Anyway now it's bright white again.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:39 am

FME-If I may, TP, might suggest you go for the 49x15 it's just under the 90" suggested,
but will will allow you to pedal, and make up gaps.
With the elastic-banding that goes on in a motorpaced, you will find that when the
pressure goes on, if you use 49x14 you will go out the backdoor (as you will probably find out)
IMO, good luck.
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 pm

last motor pace i did a few weeks ago i ran out of spin using a 51x15.

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 pm

I have moved it to a 15 no the back.

So ready to rock with a 49x15.

Will let you know how I go

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 pm

I just had a go on 48 -14 and man its a beast in a one lap wheel race :mrgreen: (first time and it felt quite hard to push especially when in the bunch, but manageable previously had a 48/15 = 86.88 )

Just having trouble finding a 3/32 chainring online to lower the inches to around 88.2 (49/15)

I just need to HTFU

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am

48 -14 = gear of choice for me in a sprint match.
Would use it in a scratch race, also... gear of choice... pour moi.
(outdoors, conditions, all play a part)

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Update. 4th time racing now.

3 races last night at DISC

Scratch and I honestly can't remember how many laps. 15 or 20????
Points over 20 laps sprints every 5 laps
Motorpace 30 laps

Race 1 took a massive turn off the front with 4 to go. I had to as there were 11 of us and going to the back was too far. Blew and finished last. But was fun trying.

Points race. managed a 3rd in sprint 1 and 1st in sprint 2. nothing in sprint 3 and in sprint 4 I tried to break with 3 laps to go. Failed but again was fun.

Motorpace was the best. It was fast and when the motorbike pulled off with 3 laps to go we were doing 47km/hr. I had a 48x14 on. It was tight and 2 went off the front. I was caught behind a slower ride and wasn't sure when to go. In the end I did and was coming 3rd and had even boxed in second when first powered off and someone came round me. But I got a 4th. Was spewin a bit as I really wanted 2nd or 3rd. 1st was just too good but he is now off to C grade.

Brunswick have racing outside for the next few weeks starting with Saturday night. I've never raced outside and someone told me the back straight at Brunswick has a downslope on the back and the front goes up.

Also they told me I should use an easier gear on an outside track like Brunswick.

So I'll go the 48x15 and see what happens.

Seriously lovin the track. Totally crap at it but it's fun as.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:24 pm

TrackPete wrote:Update. 4th time racing now.

3 races last night at DISC

Scratch and I honestly can't remember how many laps. 15 or 20????
Points over 20 laps sprints every 5 laps
Motorpace 30 laps

Race 1 took a massive turn off the front with 4 to go. I had to as there were 11 of us and going to the back was too far. Blew and finished last. But was fun trying.

Points race. managed a 3rd in sprint 1 and 1st in sprint 2. nothing in sprint 3 and in sprint 4 I tried to break with 3 laps to go. Failed but again was fun.

Motorpace was the best. It was fast and when the motorbike pulled off with 3 laps to go we were doing 47km/hr. I had a 48x14 on. It was tight and 2 went off the front. I was caught behind a slower ride and wasn't sure when to go. In the end I did and was coming 3rd and had even boxed in second when first powered off and someone came round me. But I got a 4th. Was spewin a bit as I really wanted 2nd or 3rd. 1st was just too good but he is now off to C grade.
TrackPete,
Good that your enjoying it, it's not much fun when that stops. :wink:
Seems like you fronted up very well for your "newbie" status to the Track. :)

Race 1 ... think you know what you did wrong, eh!
If you had got back to your "Events post"... you might have picked up on this-
Scratch racing is a bunch start, over a set distance or a number of laps.
Each rider takes a turn at the front, for a half lap or so, depending on the size of the track.
There is a final Sprint, with around 3-4 laps to go, you should be in the first third of the
bunch, on a good riders wheel. With 2-laps to go, you ideally be in the first half-dozen riders.
With one lap to go you could be 3 back, on a good wheel,
and then let loose down the back straight. With speed you could win
In the Points race, try sitting in for the first sprints in this type of event, and run a place,
without taking too much out of you. Then in the last couple, if the points balance out-
A win, in one, or the two last sprints, will get you a win overall, IMO.

MP with the pacer coming off at 3 laps to go, tactics are much like a Scratch race...
But always stay above the wheel (but behind) and as you see a rider coming over you,
move around the rider in front, making a move with the rider coming around
(get his wheel if he is moving fast)
Hope that gives you a few tips. Keep it up.
Good Luck.

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:27 pm

great stuff Track Pete. I wish I lived closer to that side of the world. I'd be racing on the track heaps more.

You say you've never raced outside, I've never raced inside. :shock: Perhaps next season.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:21 pm

What Brenton says Pete. :mrgreen:

I never had the chance to race indoor neither Toppity. :(
Goal 6000km

TrackPete

Postby TrackPete » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks guys. I am learning heaps on and off the track. Also learn't that by starting in the first few in a race it makes it heaps easier. With 11 in a race the first person is already doing 25k going around the end and the back person is barely off the fence. So they work hard before the race has even started.

Found out last night at the club ride we are doing a 100lap motorpace on Sat night at a slower speed with the goal to take laps on the motorbike. Should be interesting and fun. Dare say I will be coming home with very sore legs.