Oh Cr^p - Shoulder is buggered again

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ColinOldnCranky

Oh Cr^p - Shoulder is buggered again

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 pm

I had some doubts on the progress of my recovery from shoulder surgery - MAYBE there was some tearing or separation of my repairing tendons/shoulder. Nothing too bad but I wanted to be sure that the physio exercises were not doing damage instead.

So I had my shoulder scanned this morning. I was not expecting much, if anything, to worry about. Nup! The radiographer was quite clear - It looks like no progress whatsoever. Zero attachment.

The Supraspinata tendon could not be seen - it's retracted somewhere out of sight. And the Infraspinata is hanging on by the sutures. The lack of supraspinata is the big concern as its absence will overload the two remaining points of connection between the humeris and the rotator cuff causing them to also fail. I suppose when that happens I have a limb flapping in the breeze doing nothing useful. Not good.

Back in the lap of the surgeon and physio for a long LONG time methinks. I expect I'll be retired next time anyone sees me doing the ride to Perth.

Like I said, oh cr^p!

(The good news - after riding from the radiographer to work, my tripmeter ticked over to EXACTLY 12,000km at the door. Is that Karma? I suppose the day was not ALL bad.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

trailgumby

Re: Oh Cr^p - Shoulder is buggered again

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Sorry to hear that, mate. :( Shoulders are tough. Mine has been a challenge too, trying to get it back to normal.

The scan result is not good news but the evidence it provides supplies an opportunity to take action on your suspicions. Let us know how the consult with the surgeon goes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Bugger! :(

Best of luck with the next round Colin. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:11 pm

I presume I'm in your age group, every day I come home without a complaint is a winner, best of luck its amazing what can be done today.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Mustang wrote:I presume I'm in your age group, every day I come home without a complaint is a winner, best of luck its amazing what can be done today.
That's so true :lol:

Sorry to hear Colin, it sounded like you were doing so well. Good luck.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:28 pm

I've missed the unicycle guy...hope you can get it sorted out next time Colin :)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Good luck with the next round of mending :(

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Bugger. :(
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Healing takes time. Patience and stay optimistic!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

othy

Postby othy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Could be worse......

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 am

lovemybike wrote:I've missed the unicycle guy...hope you can get it sorted out next time Colin :)
Aww shucks, i t's nice to be missed. :oops:

The unicycle guy is actually now on the road, indeed doing good distances and a tougher hiller ride and feeling great for it. But you are not likely to see me on the PSP too Perth as I am now at an office in Freo since returning to work.

And of course, once surgery goes ahead it will be a long break from riding.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am

Sorry to read this must be a bit frustrating hope it goes well.

Marty

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 am

if the supraspinatis has retracted, it will not heal without surgery, and then it will take some fancy work to attach the ends ( if possible) and keep it healing without tension for 6 weeks. more so if its second time round. theres only a few dr's i'd go to in this situation...

your physio should be able to tape the shoulder for your cycling to keep it pain free which is good news, and its really simple to do yourself once shown...really simple 8)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 pm

scotto wrote:if the supraspinatis has retracted, it will not heal without surgery, and then it will take some fancy work to attach the ends ( if possible) and keep it healing without tension for 6 weeks. more so if its second time round. theres only a few dr's i'd go to in this situation...

your physio should be able to tape the shoulder for your cycling to keep it pain free which is good news, and its really simple to do yourself once shown...really simple 8)
I'm booked to see my orthopaedic surgeon shortly - It was put together just before Xmas but it seems to have come adrift for avariety of reasons. Riding is now one of the few remaining activites that I can manage (and I am doing every bit of that that I can), but it has to be well constrained (I have dropped the standard sling in favour of one specific to me).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Reattachment done yesterday morning, back home today. It hurts as always. Certainly not expecting much sleep tonight.

Isn't a problem shared a problem halved? I wonder if all you people out there shared the pain, it would work the same way.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

2 Nurofen, 5 mg of Valium and a nice drop of port has always done the job for me. :shock:

Glad it’s all been put back together for you, and that this time it’s fixed for good. :D
Best wishes,
Tom

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:37 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Reattachment done yesterday morning, back home today. It hurts as always. Certainly not expecting much sleep tonight.

Isn't a problem shared a problem halved? I wonder if all you people out there shared the pain, it would work the same way.

We would if we could! Hope it heals quickly Colin :)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Good luck Colin

Hope it all works out for you :wink:

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:09 pm

It took AGES for my A/C joint to heal & get back to where i was in the Gym & Pool.
Got a little superspinata inpingement recently too... Crippling pain from that little thing!

Nothing compared to what you're going though mate - all the best

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:50 am

Nate wrote:It took AGES for my A/C joint to heal & get back to where i was in the Gym & Pool.
Got a little superspinata inpingement recently too... Crippling pain from that little thing!

Nothing compared to what you're going though mate - all the best
Yeah - had impingement syndrome fixed myself. Great outcome for what is such an easy op. To think there are people who have it who just tolerate it.. it's great to be able to reach yhose overhead cupboards isn't it?

Anyway, i'm ok atm as i have found a comfortable sleeping poistion at last. only one hrs sleep but i reckon when i head basck to bed in a moment, i'll get another reasonably comfortable doze. ciao.

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:53 pm

i find most of my shoulder patients find sleeping in a recliner lounge the most comfortable. you at least want a small pillow under the sling to support the arm a bit.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am

Having a scan today in the hope that I will see some attachment between the tendons and the bone. (The rough-and-ready daily Christensen Finger Poke test indicates that at least the supraspinata is still attached by the sutures if nothing else.)

I'm hoping after that the surgeon will give me the all clear to at least do a little physio.

Maybe even some riding - I can certainly do with it - I need to lose around 3kgs now. And my intake of beer and wine and bad food needs elevating too.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Scan showed some attachment. I got from the sonographers the sense that is was not bad, but I do not really get if it is particularly good or not.

I see the surgeon on Wednesday and all will be revealed.

I got my rebuilt wheel back today. Damn, if I could have done it myself I could have saved the bucks. Still, the work looks good, the wheel straight. New brass nipples, my old spokes.

I even mounted it and did a quick three or four idles in the shop. I just wish I could get out on it now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 15, 2011 6:38 am

Good luck for Wednesday Colin! :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun May 15, 2011 8:32 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I even mounted it and did a quick three or four idles in the shop.
With a big smile on your face I bet :lol: