Shogun Appreciation Society

BLU_FZ!

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:57 am

The Ninja,full 105
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm

very nice, well looked after it seems but i bet you know what im wondering about............
steel is the real deal.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Really nice example of the old Ninjas!......... But whats going on with the tires??

My first decent road bike was a Shogun. It was after the Ninja died off and they put out these tri colour, fluro things - cant even remember what it was called! (that's terrible) Thinking back, it was kind of harsh to ride.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:39 pm

[quote="rebilda"]Really nice example of the old Ninjas!......... But whats going on with the tires??

I believe that they are 20 odd years old
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:
rebilda wrote:Really nice example of the old Ninjas!......... But whats going on with the tires??

I believe that they are 20 odd years old

i was wondering why they are still on the bike :shock: time for some new rubber :wink:
steel is the real deal.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Your right about needing new rubber,but im keeping it original for when i sell it.Will it bring in any extra bucks??????i doubt it

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:34 pm

$1200 in 1993

verbs and nouns

Postby verbs and nouns » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Picked up a grey Shogun Apline GT a while back off ebay.

Have no idea of the tubing, it just says "cromoly" on the forks. Who knows what it is. It's got a 26.8mm seat tube diameter. I'm not too fazed about the tubing anyway. It's a nice lugged frame with lugged 1" threaded forks (as opposed to the ugly unicrown forks). Canti bosses, rack mounts, the lot. Built for 27" wheels, but i'll be running 700c with canti's (don't worry there's enough adjustment with the brakes to do this. I hope.). I'm assuming it's mid eighties? Going to run it as a 1x6 commuter / shopper / town thing.

I'm basing it heavily on the awesome Bridgestone XO-1 (which are rare as hell). Pics here and here of the XO-1.

I'm slowly building it up now. It's currently sitting in my workstand with...

Campagnolo Gamma rims laced to Suntour hubs
Sugino fluted seat post
Black Brooks Team Pro saddle
Suntour Cylone rear derailleur
Shimano Arabesque 165mm cranks with a 44t single chainring
MKS clips and straps
Cinelli stem

Parts to come:
Nitto Moustache bars
Dia-Compe aero brake levers
Suntour bar end shifters
Suntour Winner freewheel
Tektro cantilever brakes
700x35c tyres.
Andy MASH SF wrote:You ride a (brakeless) track bike on the city street because it’s stupid and reckless–and by default: bad-ass.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm

This is the bike I keep at the office / workshop to shoot down to the lunch shop on.

I had to do something with it - my missus was gonna make me throw it out or give it away! turns out, I really like having there at work. Gives me a chance to break out occasionally for a quick ride.

This bike was over $900 new!! (19 or so years ago) that was a lot for me then! It was actually an insurance claim on an Apollo Alpine MTB that was stolen from a unit block carpark LUG - It's a way better bike than the Apollo ever was. Goes to show - Insurance is Necessary!!

My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

MoeJoe

Re: Here's Da Gun

Postby MoeJoe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Fellow Shogunners,

Here is my Shogun Samurai (AKA 'Da Gun') which has been my first road bike after several years of putting mtb's first. It now commutes pretty regularly to Sydney. I love riding this bike, it feels stable but has comfy Templite cro-moly and is pretty enjoyable all over plus looks great.
Let's see, Da Gun has Ultegra cranks, 105 shifters + rear mech, Kinesis CF fork, Rolf wheels, Modolo bars, Ritchey stem, and a SDG Belair saddle plus a bunch of other extra bits that make life easier.

The late Uncle Grumpy has had a very big hand in making this the fine example of Shogunicity that it is....
Enjoy... :mrgreen:

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:23 pm

that is one sik puppy, i love the colour and the satin finish, my Shogun trail breaker 2 / metro has the same satin finish in the deep red colour. i have an older Katana that was a crappy silver until i painted it.....crappy dark green. your bike is the goods and should you wish to part with it......
steel is the real deal.

talstails

Postby talstails » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi, how are we all?

I have a Shogun Selectra in yellow with Sakae RT cranks. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the year of it please and how much it is worth selling for?

Serial is TCO 900564.

Thanks. Have a safe Easter.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:35 pm

talstails wrote:Hi, how are we all?
Yhanks for asking, I will be better if you post some tubing sticker pics aswell

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Late 80's. Since the serial no. starts with a '9', I'd say it's a 1989 model.

Value? I reckon somewhere between $100 and $150.

mmhbeer

Postby mmhbeer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Heres my Shogun Team Issue:

Its an Eastern aluminium frame with a cromoly fork. Full 105 8 speed groupset. I added the Miche Race wheelset.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

mark field wrote:that is one sik puppy, i love the colour and the satin finish, my Shogun trail breaker 2 / metro has the same satin finish in the deep red colour.
Thanks Mark, The satin paint schemes do look great. I remember seeing many Shoguns in the 80's when I started mtb'ing and they were always well specc'ed for the $$$ and were a cut above most other bikes within the same pricepoint.
i have an older Katana that was a crappy silver until i painted it.....crappy dark green. your bike is the goods and should you wish to part with it......
I'll definitely let you know, but you might have to be pretty patient :D .
This bike does have some special significance to me. It has let be experience road riding and now commuting since I never tried road until the Shogun came along. It has had the touch of Uncle Grumpy and may not be Colnago but is fun and utterly reliable (touch wood :roll: ) which is a big plus. I've probably ended up using Da Gun more than other pr0n bikes also I have.
Da Gun gets me up early and gets me home.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am

steel is the real deal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

heres my first shogun, purchased new in 98-99. still has original tyre on front, downhill bars were added when i bought it, only other things non original are cables and brake pads and pedals. served me well over the years and still does.
P150511_08.08 by markfield_32, on Flickr
P150511_08.09 by markfield_32, on Flickr
steel is the real deal.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello Mark, that a very nice looking Trail Breaker, looks brand new!

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 pm

am50em wrote:Hello Mark, that a very nice looking Trail Breaker, looks brand new!
thanks, i had the original paper work and booklet that came with it, but i think i binned it by mistake :cry: the only thing i want to do with it is some front suspension so i can do some trails competition with a friend. and some new rubber might go down well too.
steel is the real deal.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Noticed this while I was brousing around,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-Shogun- ... 27bb05aa60

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 pm

rebilda wrote:Noticed this while I was brousing around,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-Shogun- ... 27bb05aa60
yes nice one, thanks for pointing that out. that bike is actually on my watch list, it would have been a good companion for my trail breaker. id attempt to buy it if it were in Sydney, but like everything else good on the planet its in Melbourne :evil: . and if its not there then its in Brisbane :evil: theres a couple of Shogun road bikes on this thread that id like to get my hands on.
steel is the real deal.

Iamrobtoast

Postby Iamrobtoast » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 am

hi all just wanted to thank you all for the pics and info. might be the single best resource on shogun bikes on the web.

i just happened to come across a shogun 600 on craigslist last night. based on what ive been reading in this thread, the shimano 600 group is date stamped to early 80's and the frame has a japan sticker on it, which seems like it makes sense, chronologically speaking. seat post is a 26.8, which im guessing means the bike was nothing too special, but it has moderately tight geo but still has room for big, cushy tires and some fenders.

its in incredible condition. all but the (original) tires are practically in perfect shape. i cant post pics on here but for those interested, head over to my flickr where ive posted a couple. http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamrobtoast

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Tiny shogun - will be used as the next step in my daughters roadie riding:

Current plan is to convert to 700c and campag 8 speed with parts I have sitting in my shed. Tange 900 double butted, the dropouts are stamped and there is no proper derailleur hanger (just an axle mount) but that's OK. Steel bars / suicide setup will be ditched for a little ITM drops and CX cross top levers.

I rode it around the car park just now, it's like riding a monkey bike!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey Guys,
I found an old Shogun bike (minus the front wheel), behind the hotel where I'm staying, in St Kilda.(pics on the 'Hard rubbish finds' thread)
The frame isnt bad but the saddle is finished.
I guess it was an instinctive thing to just grab it, but I know my missus wont be happy with me bringing another bike home, so...anyone want it??
Too good to chuck back on the street, would probably make a good fixie if your into that, or just tidy it up & ride it
I'll swap for an old front QR skewer, for my bike rack.
I'm in Melb till the end of next week then I'll be heading back to Sydney. PM me. :)