Broken kneecap, bruised tibia

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gorilla monsoon

Broken kneecap, bruised tibia

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Last Saturday Mrs Monsoon went OTB at about 25 kays, landing badly (can you land any other way?), smacking her head hard enough to cause concussion. The big injury though was to her right knee.

The big loss of bark was obvious but the cracked kneecap and bruised tibia only became apparent after our doctor ordered x-rays. Now she is bandaged-up pretty well but a decision on further treatment cannot be made until the severe skin wounds have healed.

What she wants to know is how any of you guys have dealt with similar injuries, if there are any rehab exercises anyone can suggest and how long before she is back on the bike.

By the way, have to appreciate that her helmet is a write-off but her head is not. She is still as beautiful as ever! :D

She is also thankful for well-padded gloves. Her hand was bruised, not ripped. Can't say the same for other exposed areas.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Parker

Re: Broken kneecap, bruised tibia

Postby Parker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:55 pm

I normally get an appointment with my osteo as quicklly as possible, my criterium crash the other day saw me in his office as an emergency first thing the next day, obvious cleared by xrays the day before.

You can get a cream that will reduce the bruising, try the pharmacy, pain killers are great as well, just gonna have to suck it up with the wounds (keep covered for quicker healing), don't pick them... takes longer to heel, eat lots of vitamin c and she'll be right.

See a physio, osteo, someone who works with sports people, my osteo is a footballer and understands that when I say, "what can't I do?" I actually mean, "right Brad, I've still gotta work, ride my bike and go to uni..."

Tell Mrs M I said hi and gentle hugs :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:09 pm

If the kneecap is fractured and without operative intervention (needed for more severe cases), then it's immobilization for 6 weeks until the bone heals.

Heal and rest well! Helmet works.
Last edited by sogood on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Ouch...no advice from me,but hope she heals up 100%.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks all for your advice.
Parker wrote:Tell Mrs M I said hi and gentle hugs :)
Done and appreciated by Mrs M.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 pm

sorry to hear . knee caps take a very long time to heal .chin up and hope she recovers well